This is a discussion on .357 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; just got my first 357 and im wondering what is a good self defense commercial load for it as i dont reload i bought a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: .357

just got my first 357 and im wondering what is a good self defense commercial load for it as i dont reload i bought a box of rem golden sabers(all the lgs had) but ive read online there really not full power loads so what is a relatively easy to find and full power .357 load

2. Remove Ads

Speer Gold Dot.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Any modern full power 125gr HP will do just fine. Speer, Federal, Corbon, BB, et cetera.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I've heard a lot about Gold Dots, but I've never used them (luckily). I carry Federal Hydra-Shoks in my .357.

Have tossed around the idea of switching that out to the 'deer load' they sell- simply because it's supposed to have more energy.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I bought my first handgun in the mid 80's. It was a .357 revolver. ANY commercial load that I put in it was a good self defence load. BANG = DEAD. Or at the very least BANG = a really messed up BG.

When you get to a caliber that is as hot as this they are all good.

Others will follow with different info....the words I speak are true.
    Last edited by QKShooter; January 30th, 2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: creative workaround edit
    CaptSmith likes this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

A guy I know told me the other day that years ago he bought a new Python. I asked him if he liked it. He said he wouldn't know because he's never shot it.

I shoot 125 grain for defensive purposes.

Any hollow point by Federal, Hornady, Corbon, Winchester or whatever, will do in 357. What you must realize is your gun's intrinsic accuracy with ammo, your ability to shoot it and your ability to afford it.

If I tell you Ammo X for $5 a round is the way to go, you won't be using it unless you're rich or gullible. Hahahaha
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Golden Saber is a good load. So are reduced or even 38spl loads.
    Don't make the mistake of chasing velocties and energy figures. Pick a good bullet in the proper caliber, preferably in the mid to heavy loadings, and learn to shoot it well.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

What kind of .357. I use mostly 125gr SJHP from either Federal or Remington depending on what's in stock when I shoot a K frame S&W or larger. In anything small or snub I use either the Gold Saber or .38 +P or +P+. What you might be able to control in a K-L-N frame might be different if you bought an airweight J frame or something.

Shoot .38, medium power (like the excellent Gold Sabers you have) and full power 125 and maybe even a 158 JHP (avoid the JSP, it won't expand from a handgun). Shoot some of each and see what you can control and shoot quick folow up shots with. Also check that the bullets don't pull from the cases under recoil. Using good quality ammo usually prevents this, but not always.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I have a .357 Ruger LCR and that thing is a beast to shoot. I use Hornaday Critical Defense.
    ccman likes this.

all the choices you get to feed your handgun in that caliber are show stoppers, nobody or nothing can live on the difference between them all...so if you end up shooting all your "warheads" dont worry about packin your handgun with lowly target wadcutters, they will drop the blood pressure of what ever they end up in...I'm going thru a copper phase currently, and have been buying Corbon copper massivly hollow/point massivly expensive carry ammo...I'll get over it, Im shure, I like that testing shows they work (mushroom)after going thru "barrier's" glass, sheetmental , hollow doors...good luck lilrinn1019
    Okemo and rdpG19 like this.

One big advantage to the copper DPX rounds, as well as fully jacketed HPs like the Gold Saber or Gold Dot, is that they reload a lot quicker and smoother than a lead bullet, SWC, or a SJHP with exposed lead at the tip. Also the lead doesn't get all beat up from carrying it around, like in a Tuff Strip in a pocket. I used to have bad luck with the Nyclad 158gr SWCHP I used to carry in them.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    Any commercial .357 hollow point load will work. It is a proven round; the specific choice is not so important with this caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I've heard a lot about Gold Dots, but I've never used them (luckily). I carry Federal Hydra-Shoks in my .357.

Have tossed around the idea of switching that out to the 'deer load' they sell- simply because it's supposed to have more energy.
    Carry 125 gr Hydra-Shoks, and have no intention of ever changing them to anything else. You can also get some Bear Loads if you want more power, but I don't recommend them as good for regular shooting.... why waste them for that. You could use a 180 gr Buffalo Bore.

My recommendation for SD, stick with the 125 gr ... whatever commercial one you choose.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by goett047 View Post
    A guy I know told me the other day that years ago he bought a new Python. I asked him if he liked it. He said he wouldn't know because he's never shot it.
    Another one that's yet to be shot.

Colt Python.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links