Fastest potential incapacitation 45 or 10mm ?

This is a discussion on Fastest potential incapacitation 45 or 10mm ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CDW4ME I've twice stated that my average chronographed velocity out of my 29 is 1,278 fps (562# KE) which you arbitrarily reduce ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Fastest potential incapacitation 45 or 10mm ?

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I've twice stated that my average chronographed velocity out of my 29 is 1,278 fps (562# KE) which you arbitrarily reduce to 1,200
    Using your arbitrary reduction formula then your 180 gr. Nosler would also be reduced to 1,200.
    Did Hornady tick you off sometime in the past?
    I can easily find chrono results that showing the load I've selected to be comparable to other full power FACTORY loads, especially since I have a 3 3/4'' barrel on my 29.
    Here is a thread where the owner has a Glock 20 and recently chronographed Double Tap 180 gr. @ 1,207 fps
    Disappointed with Doubletap's 180g. load - Glock Talk
    180 gr. @ 1,207 fps is 582# KE from a 4 1/2'' barrel.
    But what was the altitude, ambient temp, and relative humidity when you got your chrono readings. I bet ya it was different that where glockman10mm did his chrono testing.

"Straight line penetrating shot"
    Okay, here is something relevant to the topic. Which of the two loads under discussion would be more likely to keep a straight line penetrating shot?

Simple hypothetical question involving two loads placed in the same spot, requires only a "I would pick ____ because of ______" response.
    Straight line penetrating shot through what type of media, and is the test media of consistent density and weight throughout?

Sorry, just feeling frisky today.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Actually I'll back off the roles in which they are using a particular caliber.

I know they use both 9mm and .40 Glocks as their primary issue, but I'm not confident in saying when/where.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I would have to choose 45mm over 10mm. With expansion you could potentially have a 2.75" hole.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    Sorry everyone.
    My fault for starting a thread about which caliber might be better given equal shot placement.
    I thought I was specific enough in my original post to keep the discussion focused on caliber.
    I thought it would generate some responses in favor of bigger bullet and some in favor of higher KE, exactly which is better seems like a close call.
    I got a couple of those replies, so in that regard I saw what I expected.
    If I had a "What's better given equal shot placement, .22 or .45 ?" That would be pointless.
    How about a "9mm vs 45" ? Again, the 45 wins, at least for me.
    40 cal (10mm) with 560# of KE vs 45 (390# KE) seemed worthy of consideration / discussion.
    MattInFla: Maybe (I'm not sure) it would have been more specific (I thought I was quite specific) if I had the original post like this:

Suppose you are loading groceries into your vehicle. A strange man about 200# and 6' tall approaches . The man walks up asking which way to go to find a clinic, but as he gets closer you sense something is wrong . About this time he pulls a small pistol and demands money, the safety is still on on his pistol (yes, you are that observant at a time like this). You figure you will get shot even if you comply with this request and decide to draw.

That day before leaving the house you could either wear your Glock 29 10mm loaded with 155 Hornady XTP @ 1,278 fps / 562# KE or your Glock 30 loaded with Ranger T 230 gr. @ 874 fps / 390# KE.

At this point (and you did not know it before hand, so it's too late to change now) two things are certain:
    -You fire a shot and it strikes the potential killer in the sternum.
    -Your firing pin breaks after that first shot.

Which bullet, given that shot placement, do you feel is most likely to prevent the would be killer from swiping off the safety and shooting you back?

Specific enough?

Yes, it's hypothetical, but I intended for the focus of discussion in this thread to be the fastest potential incapacitation of two loads given equal shot placement, no more.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Again, one can engage in endless measurebation, but that requires focusing on the wrong things.
    OP you asked a question and some very knowledgeable people are answering your question. You just aren't listening because the answer you are getting is outside the parameters of what you WANT to hear.

To phrase the answer better I will explain it like this. THERE IS NO ANSWER! The variables of stopping a BG depend more on your ability to get good hits AND the BGs physiology, determination and blood chemistry (and a host of other factors).

To argue the minutia of one really good SD round against another is a total waste of breath. If you put a round in the BGs heart with either round then the BG is going to stop. How fast the BG stops is completely up to the BGs ability to fight pain, shock, his level of rage, his determination and possibly what type of drugs he is on.

The REAL question is this: What gun in a recognized SD caliber do you shoot best and have the most confidence in? <--The answer to that question is the answer to your original question. Because the gun you shoot best is going to be the one that stops the BG the fastest.
    Bark'n and MattInFla like this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I would have to choose 45mm over 10mm. With expansion you could potentially have a 2.75" hole.
    Huh? I'll have to see some documentation on that. In the meantime color me very VERY skeptical.

At best every test I've seen, including images from Doc Roberts indicates that you're going to create a permanent wound cavity of no bigger, and likely less than, 1" in diameter.

Bullets don't magically create holes 6 times their diameter no matter how full their expansion.

I'm guessing that's a joke. 45mm vs .45 Cal... 45mm is almost 1.8 inches, plus expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Divega View Post
    I'm guessing that's a joke. 45mm vs .45 Cal... 45mm is almost 1.8 inches, plus expansion.
    I have given up with jokes here. Some people just can't get it and if ya have to explain a joke............... LOL And if they know it is a joke they take it as a personal affront
    For those that couldn't tell: I am only kidding and in no way was the joke directed at one particular person or group of people LOL

Well I concede that didn't even see the "mm" and read it as .45 but if it was a joke, what can I say but people have some really "special" ways of making a funny.

Quote Originally Posted by GutshotJohn View Post
    Well I concede that didn't even see the "mm" and read it as .45 but if it was a joke, what can I say but people have some really "special" ways of making a funny.
    It's like a gotcha joke......LOL

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    It's like a gotcha joke......LOL
    I was thinking it was more like a joke grenade. You pull the pin and pray you're not holding it when it blows. ;)

Winnah Winnah Chicken Dinnah!!!!!

Yes, it indeed was a joke based on the question asked in the subject line. Tempers were flaring in this thread and it was time to break it up. Some folks just can't help arguing topics like this...sorta like driving by a car accident.

Obviously the 10mm! Because it is metric! Everyone knows metric is better. That is why the world is going metric!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I have given up with jokes here. Some people just can't get it and if ya have to explain a joke............... LOL And if they know it is a joke they take it as a personal affront
    you sure nailed that one bro.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    you sure nailed that one bro.
    SInce somebody brought up the metric system I have to off topic and put this in here:
    The Decabet -- Dan Aykroyd - YouTube
    It is Dan Ankroyd on SNL doing the DECABET (they reduce the alphabet to 10 letters) Hillarious
    Back to topic:
    .45 over 10mm. Used both, just prefer the way .45 shoots over 10mm

I chose .45, because it's what many of my carry guns are chambered in
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links