255 grn Keith SWC 45Acp+p

This is a discussion on 255 grn Keith SWC 45Acp+p within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was looking at Double Taps site to order some 10mm and 9mm ammo and noticed they have a 45 Acp load that made my heart ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 255 grn Keith SWC 45Acp+p

255 grn Keith SWC 45Acp+p

Was looking at Double Taps site to order some 10mm and 9mm ammo and noticed they have a 45 Acp load that made my heart skip a beat. It's a 255 grn Keith style bullet loaded to 875 fps from a 5 inch barrel.

I'm going to order a box, and see how they do in my Colt. Then I'll see if I can duplicate it at the bench. This load may give the 45acp status as another great dual purpose cartridge for woods protection carry. I think the energy figure was in the low 400s, but, energy is not an indicator of what the potential for this load has.
    I assume it's not gas checked, because they do not recommend it for Glock pistol style barrels.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

I rather like this for my 2.5" 325.

It's got a bit of snort, but I'm more than confident that cookie-cutter will take care o'bidness on the receiving end...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Like the numbers on that load glockman10mm!

Bet Elmer is looking down & smiling.

Will those cycle through a 1911 reliably?

Quote Originally Posted by Alarm Guy View Post
    Will those cycle through a 1911 reliably?
    We shall see!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    We shall see!
    Like you said, that would be a nice woods option if they cycle!

VIP Member
    In the right gun, the 255 screams out of the 45Colt because of its larger case capacity. I know attempts are being made to lengthen the 45 auto case a wee bit (ala the 10mm) to produce something like the 38 Super but in 45. There the 255gr might be happy. Another way to turn the 45 auto into a real thumper is to increase pressure (ala 45 GAP). I'd be first in line to have a 1911 45 with the 10mm case length and pressure turning a 255 at 1100fps.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I just looked at my cookbooks... the Lee manual shows a similar load (250 gr at 870), so it's not completely uncharted territory. My guess is they'll cycle just fine if the length is right. My home brewed .45s only choked when I loaded 'em too short. Keep us posted, Gman!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Link:
    DoubleTap Ammunition
    .45 ACP 255 Grain loading

That does add a meaningful dimension to the fan of the .45 ACP cartridge! Double Tap should have called it "The Chopper" for the size of the holes it would chop in targets of all sorts. No messing around with trick expanding bullets necessary. Yeah, throwing heavy lead with a big blunt nose. I like it. I'd use it.

I'm like you. I'm ordering out a box but also trying to duplicate it in a handload.

Years ago I tried the Sierra 240 grain JHP bullet in the .45 ACP worked up to whatever their published max charge weight was for Unique. It was a tangent of load exploration I never readdressed. By the time the load was worked up, a batch was made and shot away I was out of bullets and never got around to purchasing any more. It was in the pre-chronograph days so no velocity tests were run.

Of course Unique would be only one appropriate fuel for such loads. Additional powders that likely would work well would be:

Universal Clays
    Herco
    AA No. 7
    HS 7
    Blue Dot

SR 4756 might work really well too under such a heavy bullet in the low-pressure .45 ACP and its short case. Anything with a faster burning rate than Unique or Universal Clays probably would probably gen up too much pressure without launching the heavyweight bullet very fast at all. Anything with a slower burning rate, down into the 2400 burning rate range, would probably be spit out the end of the barrel, inefficiently burned and also delivering disappointingly slow velocities.

I'd be happy to see any sort of velocity over about an 800 fps threshold. I wouldn't be interested in re-springing a 1911 to especially handle "+P" rated factory loads or really heavy handloaded equivalents. 255 grains, .45 caliber... it'd be like hitting objects with a freight train.

I've always admired large-framed revolvers taking one of three cartridges: .44 Special, .45 ACP, or .45 Colt but they are more dicey to effectively hide in summer here in Texas. This Double Tap loading offers all the goodness of big bore standard velocity cartridges in a nice slim-toting 1911 package.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

How long would my barrel need to be if I wanted to get above 1000 fps?
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Senior Moderator
    I tried it years ago and I couldnt get it to feed worth a dang. That semi-wad cutter snout was just to sharp to reliably slide up the feed ramp.

Its a great idea if you can get it to work.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Was looking at Double Taps site to order some 10mm and 9mm ammo and noticed they have a 45 Acp load that made my heart skip a beat. It's a 255 grn Keith style bullet loaded to 875 fps from a 5 inch barrel.

I'm going to order a box, and see how they do in my Colt. Then I'll see if I can duplicate it at the bench. This load may give the 45acp status as another great dual purpose cartridge for woods protection carry. I think the energy figure was in the low 400s, but, energy is not an indicator of what the potential for this load has.
    I assume it's not gas checked, because they do not recommend it for Glock pistol style barrels.
    I'll be real interested to see what you come up with, Gman. I know several guys that shoot SWC through their "newer" Colt's with the dimpled barrel throat and have never heard them complain about them not feeding.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Senior Moderator
    I know several guys that shoot SWC through their "newer" Colt's with the dimpled barrel throat and have never heard them complain about them not feeding.
    Dimpled barrel throat? Please elaborate.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I tried it years ago and I couldnt get it to feed worth a dang. That semi-wad cutter snout was just to sharp to reliably slide up the feed ramp.

Its a great idea if you can get it to work.
    The idea also popped into my head years ago but I didn't venture to try it because I'd read of feeding nightmares with the bullet shape. My old loosy-goosy 1918 Colt 1911 will feed the proverbial "cigar butt" so might have worked fine with the 255 grain semi-wadcutters. Should have been more adventuresome I guess.

"How long would my barrel need to be if I wanted to get above 1000 fps?"

Hi CanuckQue;

I'm going to assert that 1000 fps would not be possible to attain with a 255 grain semi-wadcutter loaded into a .45 ACP cartridge case. Maintaining correct cartridge length will of necessity require that the bullet intrude a bit deeper into the cartridge case, crowding the powder charge more than a typical 230 grain round nose would. Even when using powders with optimum burning rates one would likely end up far above SAAMI pressure guidelines long before he reached a 1000 fps goal with 255 grain SWCs in a .45 ACP. Such a load would be abusive and perhaps even destructive to a pistol or a revolver.

The .45 ACP cartridge's working pressures are pretty low. What little experimentation I've done with a chronograph and a 16-inch carbine length .45 ACP barrel yielded surprisingly little velocity increase over standard 5-inch pistol barrels.

Link to the SAAMI web site: SAAMI

A PDF download, .45 ACP pressure data is listed on page 13.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Dimpled barrel throat? Please elaborate.
    It was designed by Colt senior engineer Mike Scheidel (now retired), as an aid in feeding the many different bullet configurations people where/are using in the old 1911, started seeing use circa 2000 (IIRC?). Mike Scheidel and Colt didn’t/don't refer to it as “dimpled”, it’s just a slang name that it’s acquired over the ‘net.

...Mil-Spec .........Throated .......... “Dimpled”....

Last edited by OD*; January 1st, 2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Spellun'
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links