Federal HST

This is a discussion on Federal HST within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is the difference in white box and the Federal LE box ammo ?? Brass vs nickel plating is all ?? Is it the same ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal HST

Federal HST

What is the difference in white box and the Federal LE box ammo ?? Brass vs nickel plating is all ?? Is it the same ammo and JHP ??

2. Remove Ads

I'm pretty sure the bullets are not the same,in the White box you are very likely just getting a regular hollowpoint that usually upon striking a target will have a tendency after the bullet mushrooms it can fragment into several pieces.The HST bullet tends to stay together and mushrooms inta a jagged edged little flower of whoopass
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

sgb
    ?????????????????????????????????????????
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Federal ammo in a white box is likely the Federal Personal Defense round that is absolutely different from the HST LE ammo.

I carry HST, tested it and have also tested the Personal Defense and the characteristics are not even similar.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

There is a batch of Federal HST .40 "white box" that is in fact a government overrun, same HST round, though slightly hotter than the LE boxed HST ammo.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Before I purchased some of the HST White box I called Federal and spoke with the LE Rep. He told me this ammo was an overproduction for a Govt/ Police contract. The differences being, the generic white box, a brass case instead on nickel, and possibly a slight difference in the powder mix used, which is based on the ordering agencies specifications. The cartridge has the same HST bullet head and is virtually ballistically to within a few ft/ sec and Fl lbs energy to HST, the minor variation is due to the powder charge used. These are LE HST rounds and can be carried with confidence.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Do you have a part number?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Federal ammo in a white box is likely the Federal Personal Defense round that is absolutely different from the HST LE ammo.

I carry HST, tested it and have also tested the Personal Defense and the characteristics are not even similar.
    Depends on what's marked on the box.

I've got some 147gr 9mm HST that came in the white box...and it is the HST bullet, not the Hi-Shock (or HydraShok).

Usually the white box stuff are overruns from contracts, or occasionally cancelled contracts. They don't bother with fancy packaging for contract runs.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

THANKS for info...I found at CTD Federal HST 180 Gr. 50rds $19.89 White box # XM40HC.....At Streichers Federal HST 180 Gr. 50rds. $27.00 regular black red gold box # FC-40HST.

I have read other places where that yes the white box is oversupply for somebody and yet even though in plain packaging is the same round. I think I am going to buy up quite a few boxes and check them out

THX 905 ..like I posted going to buy some up to test. it is awesome that you went straight to the horses mouth so to speak in contacting Federal. Glad you cleared this up so others will know....I am just worried at the price...CTD at $20 for 50rds seems pretty cheap

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Who currently has this ammo for sale?

Man, that is a bargain! I don't care whether it is nickle or brass casings!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

cheaper than dirt & striechers

Jim the part number for the HST white box is XM40HC, same as posted by Satchmo. This is comparable to the P40HST1.

A Federal ammo rep,trying to get our dept. to switch told us the HST is a bonded bullet,so it would'nt detereate thru walls,car doors,windows. But,so is the Gold Dot,and Ranger T and Ranger Bonded.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm pretty sure the bullets are not the same,in the White box you are very likely just getting a regular hollowpoint that usually upon striking a target will have a tendency after the bullet mushrooms it can fragment into several pieces.The HST bullet tends to stay together and mushrooms inta a jagged edged little flower of whoopass

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    A Federal ammo rep,trying to get our dept. to switch told us the HST is a bonded bullet,so it would'nt detereate thru walls,car doors,windows. But,so is the Gold Dot,and Ranger T and Ranger Bonded.
    The HST is not bonded... But is does have great barrier penetration characteristics. Federal Tactical Bonded is a bonded projectile, but not the same as HST.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links