Good Ammo For Short Barrel 45 acp

This is a discussion on Good Ammo For Short Barrel 45 acp within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted to get a feel for what would be considered a good self defense load for my V-10. I carry corbon 165gr JHP +P ...

Thread: Good Ammo For Short Barrel 45 acp

I wanted to get a feel for what would be considered a good self defense load for my V-10. I carry corbon 165gr JHP +P ammo in it now ( well ever since I bought it oh soo long ago when it first came out) it feeds & extracts with no problems ( even with those huge hollow points ) I've read now that the light & fast are a thing of the past & that the heavy & slower loads are the way to go now a days, is there any truth to this? If there is I would like to pose a question then, should I replace my time trusted ccw load for something like a Golden Saber in 185gr HP +P or even the Golden Saber in the 230gr HP at the standard pressure loading.... OR would I be better off with the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 45 ACP 230gr JHP? I would also like to find something in a nickel case too, any insight / thoughts would be great
    G

What I have read indicates that modern ammunition is not dependant on speed for expansion, the expansion is more a product of the metallurgy used in the bullet. The short barrel ammo has a slightly different metallurgy/composition to the bullet and a faster burning powder to give a more complete burn in the shorter barrel. I dont remember what was considered short barrel , I'm thinking 3.5 inches or shorter but I may be wrong. In the larger caliber my preference is the 230gr in Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot, I just dont think the +P has much advantage in 45. The only short barrel cartridge I use is in my 38 J frame. In 38 and 9mm I do use +P. This is only my opinion, I am sure there are other members that are more knowledgeable than I am who can give more in depth info.

Greg,
    Just to add one additional point, Speer Gold Dot is the only brand that I know of that makes the short barrel ammo so that would be your choice. The part number is 23975, I believe it only comes in a 20rd box.

You may also want to consider Hornady Critical Defense. It expands pretty well out of my real short barreled 9mm's. Should do well in a short .45acp too. It's good ammo. Corbon DPX also has a design very condusive to expansion in short barrels too.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

I use Winchester PDX1 in my Colt Defender.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shorter barrel=heavier bullet.

Anything listed here that your pistol likes would do...

.45 ACP:
    Barnes XPB 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2)
    Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
    Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

From: Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Thumbs up CorBon DPX for 3 Inch .45 ACP

45 Auto 160gr DPX | CORŽBON/Glaser Self Defense | Dakota Ammo

DPX45160-LG.jpg

The all-copper bullet construction conquers hard barriers like auto glass and steel while still maintaining its integrity. This is an optimum load for Law Enforcement. - Deep penetration on soft tissue 12-17 inches.
    - Easily conquers hard barriers like auto glass and steel.
    - Reduced recoil due to lighter-weight projectile.
    - Lead-free projectile.
    - Environmentally friendly!
    *CERTIFIED: CALIFORNIA LEAD FREE*

• Caliber: 45 Auto
    • Bullet Wt.: 160gr DPX
    • Velocity: 1050fps
    • Energy: 392ftlbs
    • test Barrel Length: 3.0 Inches
      20 rounds per box.

I have 45s in configurations from A SA 1911 Loaded -Taurus 45 Tracker 4"; S&W 1917; Glock 21 and 2 3"ers-a Para Ord WartHog and Detonics Combat Master VI SS. On the autos allthe feed ramps are polished with a Dremel tool. As a now retired State LEO Firearms guy-in the day I had access to lots of ammo and samples from dealers and I still have some of those contacts and samples. The S&W 1917 is GI Ball only. The others feed and shoot all revolverthe common LE and Defense loads w/o issue. Federal HST+p is the carry load in my 3"ers. WW Ranger RA45TP is my SA 5" and G21 load. The Taurus revolver, carried while fishing, has shot shells for snakes/old Fereral 230/230+p ammo. Little experience with Remington stuff-their demo for the local SO was a dud-all other ammo tested after they left beat them! I kiled 3 hogs for the frezzer and a large cow for a neighbor with the Detonics loaded with Corbon 165gr +Ps. They are great bullets but given my LEO access too expensive.

Links