Winchester PDX 1 12 ga ammo?

This is a discussion on Winchester PDX 1 12 ga ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I looked and looked at slugs for my 870. I am running Winchester Super 00 Buck right now. I saw the New PDX 1 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Winchester PDX 1 12 ga ammo?

So I looked and looked at slugs for my 870. I am running Winchester Super 00 Buck right now.

I saw the New PDX 1 12 ga. It has a 1oz rifled slug and 3 00 bucl pellets that launch in a triangular pattern around the slug.

The potent terminal ballistics are devastating. Has anyone used this stuff yet?

Have any good or bad recommendations?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I just picked up a few boxes my self. Haven't got the chance to shoot them yet but they sound pretty good in theory. One of the things I liked about them is that they are actually marketed as SD ammo so I assume that they go through a tougher quality control checks than other shells.

It patterns beautifully out of my 19" barreled Saiga 12 at 30 yards. Haven't shot it at any farther distances, but at 30 yards the triangle pattern is still very tight (about 1 foot across.)

The recoil is very manageable, it feeds well, and it's a good load for someone out in the country who doesn't have to worry about close neighbors I think. I keep 2 of my 8 round magazines loaded with it.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

That was my main worry was over penetration in my small home. Less than 1000 sq ft. and homes all around in a residential neighborhood. I do however have a large back yard which is the weak point of my security for my home. I feel like something like this would be better at a little bit of distance.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I get the intent, but I don't get it. (Boy, it's been a long day).

If it's used like most people use a slug, at longer ranges, then it's the same as any one ounce slug, but with a couple of misses thrown in at long range. If you use it at closer range, is there any benefit to three extra buck pellets? These loads aren't new. I seem to remember paper musket cartridges were loaded with a similar mix to fight the British, and I fired a bunch of the Centurian 12ga with a large ball and smaler shot (which penetrated an amazing amount by the way). I just figure that it's a decent quality load, but I'm not getting rid of my Federal Flite Control low recoil OO buck or Tru Ball slugs for it.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

The only possible advantage may be you only need 1 round to cover upclose,and longer ranges,I personally find 9 pellets of 00 at SD distances pretty good,within 15 yards your gonna need a closed casket funeral
    jwhite75 and Eaglebeak like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I wouldnt use this as my primary SD/HD load. It will be in a cuff on the strock or in a side saddle but accessible to load for perimeter control. I think that is where this type of round would shine.

It is a strange load. 00 buck is too heavy for SD, usually, and especially so if there's a slug involved. It's overkill on top of overkill. I really wonder if the idea would be a bit better with more of a smaller buckshot ontop of the slug. #2 buckshot does everything you'd want in a SD situation: it aids incapacitation, doesn't over-penetrate, etc. If the slug doesn't hit, then having a bit of a larger spread of #2 buck seems to be better odds than 3x00, which are too much oomph anyway.

I somethings think it might be really good against something like a bear, where extra wound channels really might make a huge difference (if the slug is insufficient)
    Consider matching your Thanksgiving dinner spending to DwB donations. It's a rare for investment and charity to converge.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

00 buck seems ot be the standard for HD use hear in the states. There is a certain faction who believe birdshot is better..I am not one of those.

As far as SD ammo goes if a bad guy enters my house, I wanna make sure they stop their attack if I have to fire upon them, not HOPE they do by using something a little weaker.

From all the pictures I have seen, it seems to pattern pretty well. I think it has it's place, but it definitely doesn't belong as a main round unless you live in the country. The slug just has too great a chance of over-penetration.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I've switch to #1 buckshot (2 3/4 - 16 pellets) from 00 (2 3/4 - 9 pellets). It patterns better out to 15 yards out of my gun. I figure more lead balls in a tighter group. The #1 starts opening up faster after 15 yards but I don't have a 15 yard shot inside my home. I don't shoot 3 inch even though the gun is chambered for it. I don't keep slugs in it because of over penetration. I would recommend patterening the gun with different loads at different distances and then make a decision.

Try patterning some of the Federal Flite Control OO buck rounds. They will extend the range of OO buck reliably past 40 yards from open choke SD or HD guns. You have to pattern it to believe it.
    Ragin Cajun likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

My local Wally doesnt carry the Federal stuff, and my local box sporting good stores dont either. Ill have to make a trip to the local nicer gun store a couple towns a way. I keep hearing about it and now have to try it. Thinking about getting one of those cheap bandoleers on Fleabay, to keep the different rounds on.

I picked up a box of these some months back, and tested them for myself- for pattern, penetration, etc.
    They seem like they will work quiet well.
    Now, I do live in a more rural area, on about 1 acre of land, and fenced-in with a lot of trees and brush between me and anyone else residing nearby. Exterior walls of my home are solid concrete -and thick, up to 10 inches on some walls- with a brick layer on the exterior (long story, the house was'nt originally a house, but a bunker) So, over-pen isnt as much of a concern here.

But, folks really do put a bit too much stock in the "over-pen" issue with shotgun loads, and slugs, especially. It was my concern as well, until I tested it for myself. (as I do with all my loads for all my guns, before using them).

Yes, if the BG takes cover behind a regular household interior wall of sheet rock, or a typical door, the slug, and the buck are going to pen through it, and probably strike them. But it really isnt going to keep sailing down-range very far after that. The reason why will be shown in the pics below, in a sec, but - the slug flattens out into about a silver-dollar-sized disc right after it penetrates. When it does, it loses velocity very quickly, and either embeds itself in what it;s hit, or if it passes through, falls to the ground within a foot or so, spent.

My 1st test was pattern- 0n an old Dell computer tower-with a phone book inside of it, and a 1" pine board behind it, at the base of a large Oak tree, just in case, at a distance of about 50 feet. I fired it from my NEF 870 clone.

This was the spread at 50 feet...not bad at all, and dead-on to point of aim- quiet accurate, I felt.

The Slug went completely through the tower, and the phone book inside, the buck pellets went through the tower,but flattened against the phone book.

I was able to recover 2 of the buck pellets

And here is the slug, recovered from the bottom of the tower, and in front of the pine board, which it did not pass through and penetrate.

So, I wouldnt be too worried about over-pen with it, unless you live in a small apartment or duplex, really. And one should do their best to make sure what's beyond the BG, before shooting anyway.
    I also figure the slug gives me a little more "reach" to the far ends of my property, and with reasonable accuracy, without the longer-ranging, and potential ricochet concerns of a rifle round.

Recoil was very mild. I'd guess about 1/2 of my usual 00 Buck loads, by far. Enough so that I now keep the PDX loaded in the mag tube for the 1st 2 shells, and the rest I keep Buck 00 loaded. I much, much prefer firing the PDX to the buck-less blast, less recoil.
    Phaedrus and Snub44 like this.

First of all, the slug in this load is loaded to a lower velocity than standard Remington Slugger and Winchester Super X 12 gauge, 1 oz slugs. By about 300-400 feet slower. I am assuming the extra 3 "00" pellets are for just in case you miss with that slug, you have a chance to hit an assailant/intruder with SOMETHING. I see where it would have it's place in SD, but I still believe it isn't cost effective. $13-$14 for a 10 round box, while you could get 10 rounds of buckshot or slugs for about $10. Up close, "00" buck is devastating. No real need for this specialized load. I wouldn't want to be shot with it, mind you! But I'd go with the standard buckshot or some variation thereof. Unless you're going bear hunting or you need to shoot through a barrier, I'd stay away from the slugs. BIG holes, yes, but a little overkill IMO. If BIG holes are what you want, hey, by all means, have at it. If PDX-1 12 gauge is all that's available, get it. It will do the job. I'm just saying I'd go with something a little more practical and available.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links