Ammo Shortage

This is a discussion on Ammo Shortage within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This was on page 5 of the Cheaper than Dirt catalogue that came in the mail today: "WORLDWIDE AMMUNITION SHORTAGE Dear valued customer; Due to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Shortage

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar

Ammo Shortage

This was on page 5 of the Cheaper than Dirt catalogue that came in the mail today:

"WORLDWIDE AMMUNITION SHORTAGE

Dear valued customer;

Due to world events, concerns over Iran, Avian Flu, and general global instability, ammunition is in short supply. Foreign and domestic suppliers have drastically increased prices and they cannot supply the quantity of ammunition necessary to meet consumer demand. Calibers that are ordinarily widely available have become uncommonly scarce. Currently, we do have .223 in stock, but even these supplies are nearly exhausted. We appreciate your patience and understanding in this unstable market.

Respectfully Yours, The Owners and Managers of Cheaper Than Dirt!"

Seems like I've heard rumors of a shortage (typically 7.62x39) over the past couple years, but I've never had any trouble picking up a 1000 rounds here and there at fairly reasonable prices, I've got a couple hundred thousand rounds stocked up.

Anyone here having problems getting ammo?
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Opinions seem to vary by area somewhat but overall most folks have been aware of some shortfalls in supply and higher prices.

I know I used to get Wolf 7.62 x 39 at $80 a case from a gun show - now folks say a case is costing about $165! ouch!

I keep reloading consumables up to a high level so always have that to fall back on.
    I've got a couple hundred thousand rounds stocked up.
    - 200,000? ------- really?! 200k!!?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I rarely buy factory ammo. I generally roll my own.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I know that Federal HydroShok 230 gr in .45ACP is hard to find around here.
    Be Safe and Careful,
    Corbett

Mountaineers Are Always Free

I've got a couple hundred thousand rounds stocked up.

Just out of curiosity, how large an army are you building??
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

p8riot:

Ya'll come on down to Texas, and bring your toys! 200,000 should last awhile!

What I've noticed are large price increases. I generally pick up cases of fairly available stuff, so I've not noticed any shortages. The 7.62X39 does make since though.....

VIP Member
    7.62 x 39 has been scarce for the last 6 to 8 months. I just got 1K after waiting 3 and a half months. I bought before at $75, $99 and $115 (this last batch) per 1K. Ammoman.com is selling for $179 delivered!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    This just in from the Associated Press....

"We have identified the reason for the recent ammo shortage. It turns out a Virginia resident who we will identify as 'p8riot' has purchased 42% of the 7.62mm ammunition in the continental United States. No reason to worry. He has a CCW. I'll take any questions."
    -National Security Advisor Condeleza Rice
    20 AUG 2006
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Several questions come to mind :::> How sweet of a wife do you gotta have to allow you to "invest" in 200K of ammo ?? Where do you store 200K of 7.62 X 39 ammo ?? Given a persons age,when will you finally be finished shooting 200K of ammo ?? Who ya gonna hire to load the mags that your gonna shoot 200K rds. thru ??

Given the price increase,200K of 7.62 x 39 is worth the same as 10K shares of AT&T. Sell it,buy a home on Marco Island Florida,a couple of Glocks, a Moss500, a flats boat,and fish your A$$ off every day of the week for the rest of your life. -------

Lead Moderator
    I hear some has to do with the price of metals. Precious metals have become more scarce , driving the price up. will see if it stays up though. Hopefully , the cheap ammo will come back down, so I can wear out a few barrels on my guns.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    One of the two local shops I frequent has an almost identical sign in front of their retail shop. The other one has temporarily run dry on both 9mm FMJ and .32ACP FMJ on occaision. Prices at both are up about 10-15%.

-PB
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

It seems to be back

7.62 x 39 seems to be back on the shelves, but we are looking at close to double the price of a year or so ago.

Used to be able to get it at Gander for 1.99 a box. Now they want 200 for a thousand rounds (50 boxes).

Got it at the Houston gunshow for $150 plus tax.

I think that once the supply lines open up, the price will be kept high by people stocking up for a while, then we may see it come down.

200,000 rounds??? That is about 4 tons. IIRC, a box of 1000 weighs about 40lbs. with the packaging and all. So 200 cases would be 8000 pounds, which is 4 tons. Dude, that is impressive!!

Also worth abouth 30k. Sell half of it and get yourself a full auto to fire the other half!!!

Went to WallyWorld today to get some WWWB FMJ, normally $4.63/50 rd box. Completely sold out, nex shipment to be about $7/box. Skipped to Academy Sports and picked up a case of Monarch for $48.60+tax. My C9 and 995 work very well with this. Best prices in NW FL are at Academy. Also have CCI Blazer for $4.96/ 50 rd box.
    Life is too short to be serious!

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Msgt, Did Stan tell you that I bought the last 7 boxes that he had ?? I also went over to Acadamy and got a couple of the 250rd boxes of UMC for my class this Wed. You are right in that Wally Woild had the cheapest. Don't even think about Mikes OR Jays.

Try Cheaper Than Dirt for the higher end stuff,realizing you gotta pay shipping.-----

I jus ordered a case of 380 FMJ from SOG @ $90/ cs. I still have several bricks of 22 and I seldom shoot more than 1 or 2 cylinders of 38 . Mostly plink and play with 9mm and 380. Were you at the Creighton Rd store??
    Life is too short to be serious!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links