is there a difference?

is there a difference?

This is a discussion on is there a difference? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there a difference between 7.62x54 and 7.62x54r? I just picked up a mosin nagant It's stamped 7.62x54r, and I just want to make sure ...

Thread: is there a difference?

Question is there a difference?

Is there a difference between 7.62x54 and 7.62x54r? I just picked up a mosin nagant It's stamped 7.62x54r, and I just want to make sure I don't put the wrong ammo thru it, and if there is a difference, what is it? Thanks
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

VIP Member
    I have not seen a 7.62x54 but on the 7.62x54r the r stands for a rimmed round.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    Yes there is a difference. Using a round without the rim will result in extraction problems and possibly headspace problems.

One headspaces on the rim, the other on the shoulder and they are not interchangable.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member

The 'R' denotes it as a rimmed cartridge. Historically, I believe there was was a non-rimmed 7.62x54 chambering in Europe - I recall seeing that recently in one of my reference books. But in 3 reloading manuals and all the commercial ammo sites I have bookmarked, not a one references anything other then the rimmed 7.62x54R. I think you're pretty safe using what's commercially available these days.

If you make it up to Prescott, J+G usually has great prices on the "spam" cans of this stuff.

Note that just about any of the canned ammo available for the Mosins has corrosive primers (the current production Privi Partizan, Norma, etc. most decidedly are not). No worries; neutralize any of those corrosive salts by starting your bore cleaning with good ol' Windex and a patch or two, followed by your normal regime.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links