9mm not good enough???

This is a discussion on 9mm not good enough??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Joey I don't think he said what the load was. What he said WAS a load......

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 9mm not good enough???

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I don't think he said what the load was.
    What he said WAS a load...
    WHEC724 and bmcgilvray like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    about the story....why did he stop and/or not drive away IF he could?
    story sounds ridiculous to me
    and how the thread continued was worse, had to stop because it was giving me a headache

next...bashing 9mm for what supposedly happened in the story is ignorant as pointed out by others in this thread
    I'll tell a related story from work in another thread that I was going to post
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member
    You may be relating what you were told by your friend. But this tale has a lot of questionable "facts". I agree on the window. If the vehicles were traveling the same direction and one went off the road then the drivers window would be on the side of the BG. Also with tinted windows, the BG might have had a cell phone in his hand, and returned fire after your friend opened up on him. If he did fire- no hits on your friends car. Driving at highway speed off the road close to another car at night, and drawing, aiming and firing? Just don't buy that. And attempting to shoot thru the windshield of your own car? Who would do that? Also with his background he would know when and how to fight and have made better decisions. Just my take on this.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    Any volunteers to stand in front of 9mm +P ? :-)
    I always hated that completely silly statement as it applies to caliber lethality.

Any volunteers willing to have a toy, plastic, .49 Cent Mickey Mouse PEZ dispenser slammed into their eye socket?
    JD, RETSUPT99, 64zebra and 3 others like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I started reading the rest of that blog.......that story is hogwash. The people on that site have tinfoil wrapped so tight......

VIP Member
    Suntzu I will have to agree with you on this one. The story does not add up, no news related story can back it up and so far no one has given the name of the LE agency that responed for a report under FOIA.

As far as the caliber debate oh well here we go again. I dont know many rounds that would do all anyone wants them to do. I was interested in his prior ballistics testing of how a the vehicle door stopped the 9mm round but the .45 went through both sides and into the engine cracking the block or something. Who knows.

I carry a 9mm daily with FMJ ball and do not feel undergunned but that is me. To each his own.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I doubt any other self defense load in just about any other caliber would've done much better... Now load ball in most any defense gun and you'd fair better I'm thinking... It's that whole energy dump thing creeping up again.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I always hated that completely silly statement as it applies to caliber lethality.

Any volunteers willing to have a toy, plastic, .49 Cent Mickey Mouse PEZ dispenser slammed into their eye socket?
    Why would you hate that statement? It is a sarcastic play against someone that is saying a caliber is non lethal. Someone talking about how 9mm is not lethal, that's the statement you should be hating, because that is the statement that is being made fun of by asking if anyone is willing to take a shot from said caliber.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Why would you hate that statement? It is a sarcastic play against someone that is saying a caliber is non lethal. Someone talking about how 9mm is not lethal, that's the statement you should be hating, because that is the statement that is being made fun of by asking if anyone is willing to take a shot from said caliber.
    Because it's just not a relative statement. I don't want you to stab me with a pencil. That doesn't suggest that a pencil is preferred self defense weapon.
    OD* likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    You may be relating what you were told by your friend. But this tale has a lot of questionable "facts". I agree on the window. If the vehicles were traveling the same direction and one went off the road then the drivers window would be on the side of the BG. Also with tinted windows, the BG might have had a cell phone in his hand, and returned fire after your friend opened up on him. If he did fire- no hits on your friends car. Driving at highway speed off the road close to another car at night, and drawing, aiming and firing? Just don't buy that. And attempting to shoot thru the windshield of your own car? Who would do that? Also with his background he would know when and how to fight and have made better decisions. Just my take on this.
    Just for the record. This post is somthing I found on theoutdoorstrader.com, I do not know the guy who posted the thread or his friend he is telling the story about. Just wanted to clear that up.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

The guy in the original story is only a second rate mall ninja.
    All us first rate mall ninjas know this is why you MUST have lasers on all your weapons. That way you can just stick your weapon out the drivers window, light 'em up and well, light 'em up! That way your uber magnum only has to defeat the glass or body work on the other guy's car.
    Besides, if he was a first rate mall ninja his vehicle would be armored (SAPI plates and duck tape) to the point that nothing short of a WWII German 88 could so much as scratch the paint.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Yeah, that's right. 9mm is not good enough. That's why I own and carry a couple of the worthless things.

Good Lord....

VIP Member
    I live in GA, and this is why I *never* drive unless I have a coach gun.

VIP Member
    Hmmm...

"While traveling to Augusta my friend had a vehicle come up on him at night and tail gate him when safe to do so he changed lanes to allow the faster car passage. Traffic restricted movement and two vehicles were close to each other. The faster driver swerved and forced my friend off the main pavement at highway speeds. Then the faster car pulled very close up next to my friend, slowed down and despite the heavy tinted windows he saw the faster driver pull a 1911 weapon. My friend immediately responded with a single round fired through his window from his full size 9mm loaded with premium self-defense ammo."

And if you look at the pictures, the friend must have allowed the car to pass on the right.... but when most people pull over, the faster car passes on the left.... and what's with the angle of entry in the front windshield.... three relatively well placed rounds, from a driver, retreating....

Hmmm....

Add me to the list of folks calling BS on this story.
    Spec likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links