9mm not good enough??? - Page 4

9mm not good enough???

This is a discussion on 9mm not good enough??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree it sounds a bit fishy but still not enough to make me retire my 9mm but i also switch between a .40 and ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 9mm not good enough???

I agree it sounds a bit fishy but still not enough to make me retire my 9mm but i also switch between a .40 and 357 whatever I feel like and i'm sure no not even me wants to be on the business end of anything that goes bang

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Aiko Any volunteers to stand in front of 9mm +P ? :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I always hated that completely silly statement as it applies to caliber lethality.

Any volunteers willing to have a toy, plastic, .49 Cent Mickey Mouse PEZ dispenser slammed into their eye socket?

Would I get to keep the candy?
    jerp likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

The HP in NC use .357 sig in their M&P duty weapons for better penetration through barriers. I'm still comfortable carrying a 9mm. If I'm in a highway altercation and can't evade, I'm using the weapon already in my hand - my vehicle. If BG has one hand on the wheel and one on a gun he'll have a hard time keeping his vehicle going straight. Brakes - swerve - PIT maneuver - drive off to a safe place.

i doubt any hand gun bullet shot thru a windshield will retain enough accuracy to do much good
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Because it's just not a relative statement. I don't want you to stab me with a pencil. That doesn't suggest that a pencil is preferred self defense weapon.
    'Sigh', yes sir...
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911izKing View Post
    There are two places the 9mm is not good enough.

1. America
    2. The Internet

Everywhere else it seems to work just fine.
    Truly a sig line - worthy statement!
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and weird. It'll happen to you.óAbraham Simpson

Good lord, I just read thru some of that stuff....Something aint right...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Yup, those wimpy 9mm can't shoot through glass. The theoretical bad guy had a 45 seen through the tinted windows at night and they could not even get out of the BG's car, must have been the tinting film. This is why I only carry my 88 MAGNUM...it shoots through schools, or a tree and the guy standing behind the tree.
    mcp1810 likes this.

I am confused by the article. The friend that posted said his friend fired one shot at the other car, then the friend states that the other shooter missed the friends car, yet there are three bullet holes in the windshield and bullet jackets in the dashboard.

"I donít think the last 3 rounds got through my windshield, either, and I know the copper jackets didnít. Theyíre resting on and lodged in my dashboard. The lead cores may have penetrated, but if they did, they certainly werenít on the trajectory that I sent them on and they were not lethal."

"Thank God gang bangers canít shoot not even at ranges less than six feet. Iím fine, but shaken. He didnít even hit my car. The police still havenít found my assailant and itís not likely that they will."
    Where did these rounds come from? The grassy knoll?
    Spec likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    This is why I've outfitted all of my windows and windshield with small C4 charges tied to a detonator switch on the steering wheel. One flip of the switch and it blows all the windows out so I can fire unimpeded.

I've read glass is the most difficult for any jacketed bullet to shoot through (core separation, fragmentation). That's why I carry Cor-Bon DPX.

Just because a 9mm didn't work, doesn't mean the 40 would have been much/any better. If the 40/45 is better, how much? 1 out of 10000? 1 out of 1000? 1 out of 100?? Because there's no conclusion, I presume the difference is insignificant, and not a concern.

As for the story, I have lots of questions. I'd like to know why the victim decided to take the time to pull a weapon versus use the car for defense.

Jake
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Caliber doesn't matter much on glass - it deflects rifle bullets as well as handgun bullets.

There was a web page of testing devoted to being in or around cars during a gun fight. I don't have the link to it but as I recall a car is an awful place to be period. Inside, outside, didn't matter. Best to be someplace else. The bullets deflect a "lot" going through the windshield due to the angle of it. Where they will hit is anybodies guess. Glass tears up bullets regardless of caliber. One of the hardest tests to pass in the FBI series is the glass barrier test.

As far as I know, only the Hornady Critical Duty rounds have passed all the barrier tests. But I may have missed one.

That said, the story as related doesn't hold together for me. Too many inconsistancies.

Fitch
    ďThe whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.Ē by H. L. Mencken

Firing a gun in a vehicle. Windows rolled up= busted ear drums
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    As far as I know, only the Hornady Critical Duty rounds have passed all the barrier tests. But I may have missed one.
    Did you check Cor-Bon DPX?

I'm not even a 9mm fan yet can state that it is definitely good enough.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links