9mm not good enough??? - Page 5

9mm not good enough???

This is a discussion on 9mm not good enough??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I personally went with the .40, why? Dunno, that was the caliber I wanted. shootouts while driving down interstates are not common place so if ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 9mm not good enough???

I personally went with the .40, why? Dunno, that was the caliber I wanted. shootouts while driving down interstates are not common place so if one wanted to CC a 9MM go for it, it is all in what you prefer.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    Did you check Cor-Bon DPX?
    COR-BON says they used the FBI Protocol when developing the ammo, and their advertising talks about it's performance with glass and barriers, but they never come right out and state they have run and passed the FBI Protocol test sequence. Hornady does make the explicet claim they pass the FBI Protocol. I don't think COR-BON DPX passes or they would come right out and say that instead of walking all around it in their advertisements. Like here, for example,

DPX Handgun at Dakota Ammo - CORģBON/Glaser Self Defense and Tactical Gear

Fitch
    snakyjake likes this.
    ďThe whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.Ē by H. L. Mencken

I guess the take-home is that if you're going to get into shoot-outs when driving, you might want something other than your CCW.
    There WILL be patents with this (simple) discovery. That, and "type III levers". It's untapped wealth, waiting for you who Google. Or your kids. People expanding on the potential are welcome to elucidate; I didn't phrase it well

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    I guess the take-home is that if you're going to get into shoot-outs when driving, you might want something other than your CCW.
    Like an advanced evasive driving course, high speed reverses, the whole 9 yards.

Fitch
    ďThe whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.Ē by H. L. Mencken

I think the driver's problem wasn't that "9 mm is not good enough", but more that he didn't have "enough 9 mm"

Such as the 53 rounds of 9 mm in the PP-19

There WILL be patents with this (simple) discovery. That, and "type III levers". It's untapped wealth, waiting for you who Google. Or your kids. People expanding on the potential are welcome to elucidate; I didn't phrase it well

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    I think the driver's problem wasn't that "9 mm is not good enough", but more that he didn't have "enough 9 mm"

Such as the 53 rounds of 9 mm in the PP-19

Are you sure that picture is legal in Canada?
    IAm_Not_Lost and kerberos like this.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    The drivers problem was that his story had so many holes in it that the truth was bleeding out in a ditch somewhere.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I always hated that completely silly statement as it applies to caliber lethality.

Any volunteers willing to have a toy, plastic, .49 Cent Mickey Mouse PEZ dispenser slammed into their eye socket?
    Funniest thing I have read all day.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I have a new door of an old GEO metro in the garage left from daughters days in college days. Come on over we will shoot it up out back and see how the 9mm does on it.
    If I am counting on my CC carry to take down a mad man in a car Things have gotten way out of hand maybe I need to hit the gas a run.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    I must have missed something as I was gearing up for the shot show!

Let see if I understand this, the "Victim" was shooting his 9mm through his windshield and/or passenger side window trying to hit a person in a car going Ī 80 mph and expecting the round to have terminal velocity? Which means it would have to pentrate his windshield, the other car's window/windshield, and be accurate enough to hit the driver or alledge other shooter?

I'm cornfused! Can anyone show that the other shooter's rounds impacted the "victim" car? We only see his outgoing rounds. Also the last time I checked, maybe a .308, .300 winmag, or .338 lapua could shoot through two piece of windshield spaced Ī 6 foot apart and still have terminal velocity and accuracy to disable the target, I don't know of a carry handgun that can do the same. Maybe a 10mm, 50AE, 460SW or 500SW, but none of those are NOT a normal carry! Still puzzled

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    its been more than 3 weeks for the shooter...ua think he can hear again?

his actions place him in the top 3 dumbest things done---ever---

the only redeeming feature concerning this is...
    need some help here, please

d) all of the above.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I think many rounds will retain terminal velocity going through the side windows. The windshield will suck a heck of a lot of energy out of a round, though.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    The Box O' Truth - The Buick O' Truth #2 - Windshields Outside/In - Page 1

The Box O' Truth - The Buick O' Truth #1 - Windshields Inside/Out - Page 1

These two links show how even FMJ rounds get thrown off from the glass. And I would Never Carry FMJ as self-defense round, unless that was the only type left.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    I always found such challenges stupid, I wouldn't volunteer to stand in front of a pellet gun.
    The point of this post is that a good shot from a 9mm +P is not something anyone would want to volunteer and stand in front of. A 9mm will work, just like the .40S&W or .357sig or .45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by jbr View Post
    i doubt any hand gun bullet shot thru a windshield will retain enough accuracy to do much good
    ^This is completely false, there have been plenty of LEO's and Military shoot outs where the bullets, even from handguns are effective to stop a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I am confused by the article. The friend that posted said his friend fired one shot at the other car, then the friend states that the other shooter missed the friends car, yet there are three bullet holes in the windshield and bullet jackets in the dashboard.

"I donít think the last 3 rounds got through my windshield, either, and I know the copper jackets didnít. Theyíre resting on and lodged in my dashboard. The lead cores may have penetrated, but if they did, they certainly werenít on the trajectory that I sent them on and they were not lethal."

"Thank God gang bangers canít shoot not even at ranges less than six feet. Iím fine, but shaken. He didnít even hit my car. The police still havenít found my assailant and itís not likely that they will."

Where did these rounds come from? The grassy knoll?
    ^ This is some good lawyering skills... I was going to say why where there shots from the right front side? what shooter driving 70+MPH can roll down his window, which was said to be up and "darkly tinted" maintain control of the car, and shoot behind him at a person who just let them pass????
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    So people just can't resist the urge to customize their car!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links