9mm not good enough???

This is a discussion on 9mm not good enough??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I too find the OP's friend's story somewhat incredible. I have heavily tinted windows on my truck and find it very difficult to believe that ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 9mm not good enough???

VIP Member
    I too find the OP's friend's story somewhat incredible. I have heavily tinted windows on my truck and find it very difficult to believe that someone could, at night, see well enough into our vehicle to discern what we are doing. Glad the guy is OK, but the story does not hang together.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

How many think he actually suffered from a gun-handling whoops because he was a bozo?

Raise your hands.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    How many think he actually suffered from a gun-handling whoops because he was a bozo?

Raise your hands.

Using Occam's razor, it is far more likely that he is an inept moron, vs. a homicidal/aggressive moron.

Lucky shot under extreme duress, but I would rather get lucky than be dead. Thats why i said "you will not react the way you think you will" I did not [QUOTE=xXxplosive;2190035]
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganCCW View Post
    I have had the occasion to shoot someone in self defense with a 9mm (glock 19 ). One shot one kill. Be prepared but stop talking sh-t!

A well placed shot under extreme duress............I suppose.

Internet Myth 101:

He should have bought a 1911. 1911's blow up tanks.

he is lucky the 1911 owner didn't hit his car

That being said I would have to question anyone's judgement to start having a handgun shootout through car glass when he could have just driven away or ran the guy over.

VIP Member
    interesting article, pointing out the fact that shot placement is vital no matter caliber
    good article for all to read just for the heck of it
    17 hits with .45 from officers glock 21
    Shots Fired: Skokie, Illinois 08/25/2008 - Article - POLICE Magazine
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    interesting article, pointing out the fact that shot placement is vital no matter caliber
    good article for all to read just for the heck of it
    17 hits with .45 from officers glock 21
    Shots Fired: Skokie, Illinois 08/25/2008 - Article - POLICE Magazine
    Exactly. You do not know who your gonna come across. .22 has been enough to take out alot of people. .380 has dropped and killed people with one shot. It depends on how mentally unstable the person is, adrenaline, drugs. People have dropped over and over from one shot with a .380 or 9mm yet this guy took 17 shots from a .45!!!

I think it is about who you encounter more than what you carry.

i agree with the majority its more about shot placement than caliber, you could have a . 44 mag but if you cant hanle it all that knock down power is useless. i would say the smallest i would go is 9mm though.

If I was doing car-to-car combat, I'd really worry more about ammo capacity. At that level of intensity & duress, it's going to be entirely based on luck.
    Mental illness incidents are used to threaten gun rights.
    The March of Dimes headed off the Universal Iron Lung coverage debate, just sayin'.
    Alternately, for those with a toolshed and ideas.

Looks like people are shooting his story full of holes and he refuses to answer any of their simple questions.... that tells me this story was A. Staged B. Made up.

VIP Member
    from my other post that I finally got around to putting on here

I'll share this since it applies to us all, and is good food for thought for everyone here, based on actual experience/situation.....

I had the unfortunate pleasure of working another drive-by, van parked in driveway
    3 spent casings in the street (I'll wait until the end to reveal caliber )

first round hit the back window, I found the entire copper jacket (FMJ) sitting on the plastic "ledge" of the back window behind the back window wiper, it was split and deformed but was obviously the entire jacket, lead was in 3 pieces in the floor behind the back seat, the round had cut into the CLOTH backing of the back seat but not punched through, in fact judging by the amount of lead in the floor I don't think any actually embedded in the seat itself

2nd round was to the upper corner of the front passenger door, the corner near the door pillar adjacent to the sliding side door
    the metal was dented on the upper door pillar and the corner of the door but did not punch through, I searched around and found 2 chunks of lead in the grass/dirt about 6 ft away, and found the jacket in 2 pieces around 3-4ft away

3 round hit the house in front of where the van was parked, it hit the wood ledge under a window, hit the thin wood siding but checking inside the house didn't find any punch through, I searched around and found the entire round intact under a kids stroller in the grass about 10 ft away from the van and about 2 ft away from the wall (further down from where it impacted the window ledge)

what we can all take from this:
    -ditbag used cheap range ammo FMJ (from head stamped looks like WWB FMJ) instead of JHP
    -for Self Defense you need to use quality bonded JHP
    -don't expect your wonder round to do the trick with one shot
    -if you are forced to shoot into barrier or glass don't expect it to go through and stop the threat immediately, with one shot, or at all

.......for those getting hyper.......it was .40S&W
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

his problem is he only fired once. :)

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Yes , a quality bonded JHP for defense, or a .357 SIG, 40 S&W for better results.

There is a reason why Troopers and other Cops issued the .357 SIG have never switched to another caliber.

Superb tactical penetration, with dynamic stopping power as well. Especially when using the 125 grain Gold Dot.

Beautiful!

www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!
    The year is young and another World Series championship awaits!

Raising hand. I'm going to call Paramount pictures because I think someone stole a scene for one of their movies, heh heh!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Something about this story doesn't seem right. Even if all of it is true, there are so many factors to consider, before I would blame the caliber. The angle of the glass, trying to drive and shoot at the same time, visibility, etc... I would feel completely confident carrying a 9mm for personal protection, although a larger caliber would be better. The plus about a 9mm is that the ammo is cheap and you don't have to break the bank to practice with it. Owning one may lead you to practice more and therefore a 9mm in the hands of someone who is extremely experienced with it is much more deadly than a .45 in the hands of someone who only shoots occassionally. I definately would not jump to the conclusion that it was the weapons fault that it did not stop the attacker, there are just too many factors to consider.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links