Late Season Deer With .41 Magnum

This is a discussion on Late Season Deer With .41 Magnum within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice tender meat from a classic revolver. I know you will enjoy both....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Late Season Deer With .41 Magnum

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Nice tender meat from a classic revolver. I know you will enjoy both.
    SCGunLover1

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Where can I find how to date code my S&W I have one just like it but next size up barrel, Also used for deer hunting.
    Hi Mr. Buckwheat;

I have a copy of the Supica/Naas "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson on hand and could look up the serial number if you would provide it. You can leave out the last two or three digits if you like (example N345XXX)
    MrBuckwheat likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Hi Mr. Buckwheat;

I have a copy of the Supica/Naas "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson on hand and could look up the serial number if you would provide it. You can leave out the last two or three digits if you like (example N345XXX)
    # N63555X looks just like the photo in this thread but has a longer barrel. thanks!

VIP Member
    Cabela's has the S&W Model 57 on sale right now! Looks similar but comes with the Hogue Grips. $899.99

Not to come off sounding like a jerk but you shot a fawn. Any round you used would go right through that animal.

Better late than never.

I waited until the next to the last weekend of the season here to have some deer hunting success. I'd been itching to use the Smith & Wesson Model 57 .41 Magnum that I picked up late last year. I wasn't going to bother with shooting this doe with a rifle that I also had along when she was farther out, but when she came toward the blind and got within handgun range the .41 Magnum was poked out the window and a bullet was sent her way, hitting just behind the right shoulder at a bit over 30 yards. Load used was a Sierra 220 grain Silhouette bullet over a warmish charge of Hodgdon H110 giving a muzzle velocity a bit over 1360 fps.

This bullet is effectively a half-jacketed semi-wadcutter and possesses no hollow point. It cult a .41 hole through hide and a rib upon entrance and left a larger exit hole, also hitting a rib. The photo was taken of the deer lying as I first walked up. The exit hole was larger than expected, using such a bullet. A bit of lung tissue was lying on the ground behind where she was standing when the bullet struck and she was completely bled out inside the body cavity with both lungs sustaining severe damage. What was really nice though was the fact that there was no massive bloodshot meat. When I skinned her out and cut her up it was discovered that one could eat "right up to the hole." Since "the hole" was through ribs it really didn't matter though. A bullet from a high-powered rifle can still spoil a portion of shoulder with the same shot placement due to bruised, bloodshot meat.

I was enthused about the shot placement and the cartridge's effectiveness. The small deer did hunker down and go into a mad run for a short distance but was really dead on her feet. About 20 years ago I shot a larger doe from about 20 yards with a .44 Magnum using a Sierra 240 grain JHP with a muzzle velocity of 1480 fps. The shot placement was exactly the same but on that occasion the deer ran a long distance (150+ yards), all of it through thick underbrush, giving me a merry time trailing her. Exit hole wasn't nearly as impressive. Maybe the hollow point didn't open up and just slipped through? I always wondered.

From inside the confines of a small box stand, the .41 Magnum gave a throaty bark and the pungent odor of burned H110 immediately filled the stand. I didn't notice how loud it sounded at the time but, after field dressing the deer, I had a few more hours to hunt so got back in the stand. After sitting for an hour or so my left ear suddenly set up a constant ring for perhaps 5 minutes. After this subsided I noticed no more ill effects.

Here's a link to the revolver used on Saturday.

New Pistole: An Itch, Well Scratched.
    One more step and it's on!

[QUOTE=dripster;2140614]Not to come off sounding like a jerk but you shot a fawn. Any round you used would go right through that animal.[/

Are you serious?!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Hi dripster;

Even though this was a young doe she was likely from the spring 2010 crop and full grown. I had some really young does come by that evening. They were small as judged by the spike buck I shot late that afternoon that was standing with them, and smaller than this doe.

Our deer are small here unless one encounters the odd import from some deer breeding operation originating from stock brought in from another state.

We're in the middle of a drought here in Texas too and that has impacted the deer population. Check the link to see.

Texas Interactive Drought Monitor Map

This deer fell within the locale covered by the "e" in the word "Texas" seen in the middle of the state map. Even the bucks with large racks aren't as big bodied as deer in states farther north and east.

It's just the way it is out here in the west.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    # N63555X looks just like the photo in this thread but has a longer barrel. thanks!
    Hi MrBuckwheat;

Meant to get back to you with that year date for your long-barreled N-Frame Smith & Wesson. Looks like your revolver was produced smack-dab in the middle of 1980.
    MrBuckwheat likes this.

VIP Member
    Hi MrBuckwheat;

Meant to get back to you with that year date for your long-barreled N-Frame Smith & Wesson. Looks like your revolver was produced smack-dab in the middle of 1980.
    Thank you! It is a bit older than I thougt. It is like brand new condition! Can't wait for hunting season again!

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Great weapon and good shootin there....my .41's are all Single actions....but that is a nice revolver you have there. I have used my 6.5 inch Blackhawk to take several deer and plenty of coyotes...always works!!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links