Tumblers or sonic cleaners

This is a discussion on Tumblers or sonic cleaners within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Of all the places in reloading to reduce costs, tumbling media? I can see using the dryer sheet to reduce dust in a vented vibrator, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Tumblers or sonic cleaners

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Of all the places in reloading to reduce costs, tumbling media? I can see using the dryer sheet to reduce dust in a vented vibrator, but really, that big bag of cage bedding goes a long way as is.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Harbor freight ultrasonic and hornady brass one shot cleaner. I just recently did about a 1000 9mm. I enjoy knowing my kids and garage do not have lead dust around and the primer pockets come out great! I do deprime before cleaning though, without it is a very dirty process!

There are a lot of people that try to re-invent the wheel when they get into re-loading, it's been going on for a longtime just fine the way it is. Tumbler works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    ...One trick is to put an old dryer sheet or maybe two, depending on the size of your tumbler, to soak up if you will all the dirt and crap that gets the media dirty. A white dryer sheet will come out black by the end of the cycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    Thanks for the dryer sheet tip! I'll try that before replacing the media.
    Quote Originally Posted by XDROB View Post
    ...I have never heard of putting a dryer sheet in the tumbler...
    The two biggest enemies (besides water) of smokeless powder, and of primers in particular, are oils and waxes. They will interfere with the normal burn rates of powder, and sometime prevent primer ignition altogether.

Guess what a dryer sheet is. It's a piece of paper impregnated with a light wax and some scented oils. I would never in a million years allow a dryer sheet anywhere near my reloading components. Not saying it WILL cause a problem, but it's sure asking for one.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Ultrasonic has been around along time too, no reinvention, just another use. If we never improve we never move forward.

VIP Member
    What's a decent tumbler to get.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    The two biggest enemies (besides water) of smokeless powder, and of primers in particular, are oils and waxes. They will interfere with the normal burn rates of powder, and sometime prevent primer ignition altogether.

Guess what a dryer sheet is. It's a piece of paper impregnated with a light wax and some scented oils. I would never in a million years allow a dryer sheet anywhere near my reloading components. Not saying it WILL cause a problem, but it's sure asking for one.
    That is why I use an old dryer sheet. After they have been run through the dryer several times and are limp as a noodle they don't contain much if any harmful substance on them.

They certainly pick up more crap out of the media than they can possibly deposit on any case.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    I like the wet type with stainless steel media. you decap your brass and the primer pockets look all minto. The brass looks like its brand new. Easy to inspect. No dust. I used to use the Dillion with a my own combo of media. I Switched over 6 months ago and never looked back. Down side is you clean a bit less at a time but only need a couple hours in the machine. I have a rack to dry them so it takes time to dry the brass so you may have to change your process. I know some guys like to load right away.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    What's a decent tumbler to get.
    I have worn out 2 Lymans, and an RCBS. I got lots of use out of them, but wouldn't rush out to buy them again. The last one I bought was from Berry's Bullets. For $102, you get a great, fast working vibratory tumbler, with a great working media, and a rotary sifter and media container. Overall, it is one of the best working systems I have seen, let alone used.

Terry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links