Issue with ammo in GP100

Issue with ammo in GP100

This is a discussion on Issue with ammo in GP100 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my wife got me a Ruger GP100 for Christmas. Stainless, 6" barrel hogue grips. Today was the first day I was able to take ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Issue with ammo in GP100

Issue with ammo in GP100

So my wife got me a Ruger GP100 for Christmas. Stainless, 6" barrel hogue grips. Today was the first day I was able to take it to the range and something interesting happened. Having not shot a .357 mag for a while I started with some .38 special. Was also shooting my BUG S&W 442, and my carry gun LC9. I was firing a mix of .357 and .38, realizing that I was anticipating recoil I was trying to mix it up. Also loaded random snap caps to learn to be more consistent.

So here is what happened. After a few cylinders or various rounds (Winchester pdx, remington gold sabers and hornady critical defense of both calibers) I went to eject the hornady critical defense 125 grain and one would not come out of the cylinder. I had to use my knife to pry it out. Kept the case to examine thinking it may have been an issue with that specific round. Fired some more variations and a few cylinder fulls later 3 cases had to be pried out.

I asked a guy who was there doing some IDPA shooting with a S+W 686 SS 4"bbl what he thought it may be. Let me know if this explanation seems correct or if you have another idea. "Due to the fact that the .38 is shorter there is potential for buildup at a lower point in the cylinder. When you then place a .357 round in and it fires expanding the case it gets that gunk wedged in between it making it tough to extract the shell." Makes sense to me. My only query was why it only happened with the hornady critical defense .357 rounds. It did not happen with any of the other rounds mentioned. It may have been coincidence but that seemed odd. We examined the case of one that was stuck and he pointed out "stress" type marking at the base of the case. He said they could potentially be a hotter load. Not really anything to concerning as its a GP100 IMO, but something to think about none the less.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am going to shoot the rounds again without mixing calibers and see if I encounter any similar issues. It did seem to be a snappier round. I was most comfortable with the Remington Gold sabers, and PDX were in the middle as far as feel and recoil.

Oh and just to ruffle some feathers, the guy said if he had it to do again he would get the GP100 instead of the 686 . Just teasing people and not wanting to start the coke vs pepsi debate. I still want a 686 TOO

BigJon
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    I have had the same thing happen after alternating 38s and 357s also. It seems to occur more frequently after using lead bullet 38 loads then switching to any load in 357. Oh and both the 686 and GP100 are fine revolvers.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Yep, nothing to lose sleep over. You shoot .38s in a .357, some loads will leave more schmutz in the chamber than others which will make extraction (and sometimes even loading) difficult for subsequent rounds. If you're going to mix .38 and .357 in the same gun, make brushing the cylinder holes a part of your regular cleaning regimen.
    Eagleks likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for the reassurance. It made sense and figured Id swab the cylinders in the future. @msgt, I truly believe they are both great revolvers and that each has its own selling points. I have not met many firearms from reputable businesses that I would not consider. I really like my GP100 and am sure I will grow to love it. Additionally I know that I want a S&W 686, not because one is better than the other, but because they are different. My comment was only to play devil's advocate as I know there are plenty on here who love one of the two revolvers listed more than the other. Wait till I start telling people that I dont like Glocks!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Wait till I start telling people that I dont like Glocks!
    Thatís ok and besides the only Glock I own is a single shot.

IMG_0714.JPG
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Not a big deal. Years ago I bought a ( I think it is called) Lewis lead remover. It is basically a cleaning rod with a rubber plug at the end. It comes with small brass screens that go on it like a patch. It will get that ring out of the chambers in one or two passes. Also does great on the forcing cone.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

A .40 caliber nylon bore brush works well for cleaning out those chambers and preventing the build up that can occur when shooting a lot of 38s in your GP100.

BigJon
    with ref to the stuck 357 cases after shooting 38's, I had a similar problem with my GP100 and found it to be the crud build up in that 1/8 ins
    gap. If you load a 357 after shooting 38's you will find that it will not slide in and out freely. So IMO it is the crud factor.

I recently had the same thing happen while shooting my Smith 632 in .327 switching from Mag's to ACP's. I keep a boresnake in my ammo can, a quick pull through the chambers and you're off and running again.

JTT/NC

I own a 6" gp100 as well and mix up 38 and 357s. Never had that happen yet, but the explanations seems spot on. May be the type of ammo your using for the 38s, as others have guessed. I mix up the two all the time and never have had issues. You gotta love the 6" gp100! I suspect the recoil on the 357 was a lot lighter than you expected? Am I right? That's the benefit of going with the 6! A joy to shoot the 357s all day! Plus it helps to draw out the 6 incher to watch the burglar soil himself before he hears BANG!

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    A .40 caliber nylon bore brush works well for cleaning out those chambers and preventing the build up that can occur when shooting a lot of 38s in your GP100.
    That is what I would suggest, even an old 45 brush. If you want to really remove stuff use standard brush not nylon. But the larger standard brush will be ruined quickly and pieces of brush will fall off. Use worn out brush from larger caliber to save money. Also, I might remove cylinder to avoid pieces of brush getting in frame. Easy to do with Ruger.

VIP Member
    I also have a GP100, and shoot all kinds of ammo through it, haven't had the issue you have but I always have my bore snakes with me at the range so if it happened i'd hit the cylinders with the bore snake
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Links