Remington 38+p, fail to fires

This is a discussion on Remington 38+p, fail to fires within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took my new to me M&P340 out to shoot some clay pigeons (sitting against a berm, not launched) a couple of weeks ago and out ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jem102

Thread: Remington 38+p, fail to fires

Remington 38+p, fail to fires

Took my new to me M&P340 out to shoot some clay pigeons (sitting against a berm, not launched) a couple of weeks ago and out of a box of 50 had 4 that would not fire regardless of the number of times they were tried. Since the gun had a lightened mainspring I figured that was the culprit so I ordered a spring pack from Wolff. Rather than play around I installed the 9lb heavy spring and re-tried the 4 failures. Three fired right off but the fourth would not fire. An examination of the primer shows a really hard hit. Hard enough that I was surprised it didn't punch right through. I just don't believe it's from a light strike. Has anyone had any problems with the green box remington. I don't have another gun to try it in but like I said it's a very heavy strike dead center.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    ammo is made by the billions and while we would like to believe that paying more
    means getting better...even top shelf SD ammo is going to have a dud veryoccasionallyy.
    its why wpracticece failor drills and covet the revolver over the semi as it allows another pull of the
    trigger to bring another round into firing position.

semies that have double strike capability allow for... another trigger pull and from past experience,
    9 out of 10 that do not fire the 1st time do so the 2nd time. the 10th gets the tap, rack & bang routine.
    slower than 'clearing' a revolver but generally holds more rounds and reloads faster.

put that dud in the hot bucket.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    All you need to do is grab a few boxes of different ammo and run it through your gun. If your gun is having light strikes 4 times every box of ammo, you may have a problem, but chances are that it was an isolated event.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I have gone through several boxes of recent production Remington .38 Special +P 158 grain ammunition in the 50 round boxes and it's all been sure-fire for me.

It's been used mostly in Smith & Wesson guns as new as 1998 and as old as 1971, all with original factory springs in them. The revolver produced and acquired in mid-1998 is a Model 642-1. The rest are K-Frames.

I like this Remington +P load. It clocks 942 fps from a 4-inch barrel and 875 fps from a 2-inch barrel. Not as hard-hitting as Buffalo Bore but plenty adequate. The bullet is said to be a bit softer than the similar Winchester +P product which also registers just a mite slower from my guns.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I don't believe you have a problem with the gun especially if you have gone back to the heavy main spring. The one round that won't go bang has most likely had the primer anvil and pellet damaged to the point it won't ignite from normal impact. "I" would not keep trying to fire this round as burn characteristics have been changed.
    Guest1 likes this.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

jem102,
    Damage to the primer is something I hadn't considered. I suppose it's possible that from the multiple tries to fire it with the reduced power spring that it was damaged and now just won't fire.

Yeah Ive had a round from remmington fail to fire when qualifying in the police academy, afterwards we picked it up and the primer was in backwards,, wrote a letter to them and never heard anything back on it, like most have said your bound to get a dud once in a great while...

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    jem102,
    Damage to the primer is something I hadn't considered. I suppose it's possible that from the multiple tries to fire it with the reduced power spring that it was damaged and now just won't fire.
    That would be my guess. Over the years I have had a few duds and as "lyodbraun" discovered I once had a primer in upside down in a box of Federal NyClad's. Any way I try them a second time and then into the kill can that gets emptied and contents buried every 5 years or so.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Links