Excellent 10mm article

This is a discussion on Excellent 10mm article within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ran across this article and thought some folks might like to read it. It's long, but the information is good and useful for those wishing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Excellent 10mm article

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Excellent 10mm article

Ran across this article and thought some folks might like to read it. It's long, but the information is good and useful for those wishing to reload or just wondering what all the fuss is about with this round.

The 10mm Auto Cartridge
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the info. I have been preaching this for years, and it's good to see more people discovering this cartridge.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Tagged for followup. Thanks DG.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    GMan I wish more people would accept the superiority of the 10mm round.

WHEC one of these days me and you will hit the range and blow some stuff up with some "nuclear" loads.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    It is coming back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

10mm best round around !!!

Very interesting article

Makes me feel a bit better about owning a .10mm FBI Lite
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'm convinced! I will be ordering a Glock 29sf as soon as IRS returns my funds!

RKM
    I'm no ballistics expert. My only question is, many people say, mostly with with handgun cartridges, that energy does not wound, but it's the bullet expansion and mostly penetration (and shot placement) that does the damage. So while I certainly don't doubt the 10mm, what really makes it so much more special than other rounds? It meets the 12" expectations so what does it do that other rounds don't? I used to think that a round with a high energy reading has more wounding potential, and that's true if you compare a 350ft/lb 9mm vs. a 4800 ft/lb energy of a .338 Lapua. But the small 200-250 or so ft/lbs between a .45 and 10mm, what's REALLY the difference? Both have adequate penetration (I'm sure the 10mm has more). Also, the 230gr .45 has the weight on it's side to "push" through the target while 10mm relies on it's velocity. I'm not trying to sound "smart" or talk down on the 10mm, I just really don't understand. Because it's said that 10mm is acceptable for hunting, but most would hesitate to hunt with a .45

Maybe the article explained this, but I'm not very good at reading. I skimmed through it as it's kind of lengthy.

With that said, I would like to someday pick up a G20, because I think the 10mm is just a cool round. But I certain don't have a "need" for it.

Yup, I want one. Hunting + SD. I've also read that shooting the 40 S&W loads out of a G20 feels like shooting a 9mm.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the info, I have wanted a Colt Delta Elite in 10MM and this just makes me want one more.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I gotta agree with RKM about the 10mm being an excellent round that's in the same upper niche of superior "human stopping" effectiveness as the .45ACP; and we could argue until the cows come home about the minor differences between ballastic comparisons between the two.

However, making a choice between the two realistically gets down to the personal preference of whether one would rather be hit on the highway at 60mph or 62mph by either a 1/2-ton Ford, Chevy, Dodge or Toyota pickup

It is a astounding round that died do to the "pussification" of Americans . When we shoot at paper bad guys we want a soft recoiling round to help our scores. Then we think if it works great on the silhouette it must work great in combat. My 2 cents.....
    kerberos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnnut View Post
    It is a astounding round that died do to the "pussification" of Americans . When we shoot at paper bad guys we want a soft recoiling round to help our scores. Then we think if it works great on the silhouette it must work great in combat. My 2 cents.....
    That word always makes me laugh!
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

I've really been thinking about a G29sf lately. All this article did was make me want one even more...
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links