Not a fan of Remington Ammo

This is a discussion on Not a fan of Remington Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wanted to share my personal experience w/ Remington Ammo.....IMO it sucks. I picked up a Neos for cheap plinking about 2 months ago, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Not a fan of Remington Ammo

Just wanted to share my personal experience w/ Remington Ammo.....IMO it sucks.

I picked up a Neos for cheap plinking about 2 months ago, I put 600 round of Federal thru it without any problems. Fed well, accurate, great stuff. Yesterday me and the mrs were going shooting so I grabbed a 3 50-round boxes of Remington .22lr at wal-mart for like $1.80/ea since I was in a hurry.

I got to the range and we must have had 25 jams, duds, weak shots (don't know what you call those haha); the stuff was garbage. At first I thought I just got a crappy box, for two bucks what do you expect, so I opened up another box, same stuff. I really can't complain because it's very cheap plinking ammo, but I've never seen anything like it. I'll stick w/ Federal for now.

Then we load up her p238; now I've put at least 250-300 thru that thing and it has been flawless (honestly that's my favorite gun I've ever shot); we start shooting and what do you know, it jams. I start getting annoyed and I look in my bag...what were we shooting? You guessed it, Remington. That was when I remember that I picked up a box of Remington on sale about a month ago (I put all my ammo in a plastic tackle-type box I bought, easier than carrying around a bunch of different boxes). I've put federal, WWB, hydra-shok, critical defense and gold dots thru it, not 1 single issue at all until I fire the Remington.

YRMV; but I gotta say I am not a fan at all. I guess it's OK b/c 1) it's only plinking ammo and 2) it's pretty cheap; but I can't stand it...garbage IMO.

Truly don't mean to offend any Remington fans out there at all, just share some info in case anyone carries this stuff for their defensive ammo....

Sorry to hear of your woes. What did Remington say about your problem when you contacted them?

VIP Member
    Hard to beat the Federal 22lr. Just get a couple of the 525 boxes and be done with it. You should contact Rem if you can and let them know about it.

Never had bad luck with Remington. Hate to hear this
    NIS350ZTT likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Never had bad luck with Remington. Hate to hear this
    Same here. It's Golden Saber HPJs are the ammo for both my carry guns (.40/.45).
    NIS350ZTT likes this.

My biggest problem with Remington ammo is their rimfire stuff. In my 10/22s (5 of 'em) it jams more often than any other ammo I've tried, and leaving aside their Eley competition stuff, the overall accuracy is average at best. I understand the fickleness of rimfires with respect to ammo sensitivity, but I find nothing about the Remington brand that is worth my repeat business.

For centerfires, it's a different story. I rank their 'generic' UMC stuff below Winchester, Federal (Am Eagle) and even PMC. It goes bang every time, but it's fairly dirty and accuracy is unimpressive. But their 'name' lines like Golden Saber and certainly their hunting ammo performs well for me, and I keep a fair amount of it on hand.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

haven't heard back yet...shot 'em an email...going to try to call them during business hours tomorrow to see what they say. Honestly, these days, service is an afterthought with most companies so I'm not expecting anything.

I haven't been a big fan of Remington's inexpensive bulk-packed .22 Long Rifle ammunition for several years now. Their standard velocity .22 Long Rifle target load is a little honey though. Accurate and with a extreme spread of 22 fps for 10 rounds fired over the chronograph last time I checked it.

I have always liked Remington handloading components, especially their primers which are hard to find these days. Some folks don't like their brass but I do.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

You get what you pay for. Hey look on the bright side, you probably got alot better at fixing malfunctions.
    HoganLongfellow likes this.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Yea me either had a Remington with a primer in the wrong way and almost cost me my qualifications during police academy... since then I have not used any of their ammo.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Remington didn't use to be cheap.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I remember not like liking their ammo. I cannot remember why. Only issue for me is it costs a few bucks more than federal.

I like to think a larger company like that will take care of you. Although, you did state it was .22 lr. That stuff is finicky if you ask me. I personally will not fault a company over rimfire ammunition.

I've had the same problem with Remmington rimfires. Just too mich trouble to mess with.
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Dident think it was just me,never had much luck with anyRemington ammo. Seems they have always lacked in the quatity control dept.
    A bud of mine & I were shooting .54 cal. Rem. round balls once & could'ent hit squat, we miked em & found they were all over the place from .515 to (a few) at .535 & anywhere in between! There High Brass Pheasant loads never seemed to me to have much horsepower lost to many roosters to 'em & there steel shot duck loads are the worst I ever shot! I handload my rifle ammo so maybe there centerfire hunting rounds are O.K. don't know never tried 'em.

So with a lifetime of bad luck with rem. ammo I darn sure don't trust there handgun defence loads.

Hey if A guy likes Remington ammo & it works for them well then good for them!

Im done with 'em!

I really don't have issues w/Remington except, their .22LR ammo. It is the only ammo my 10/22 will not digest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links