Ammo Ideas

Ammo Ideas

This is a discussion on Ammo Ideas within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Trying to get an idea on how I'm going to start my "emergency" reserve of ammo. I own 12ga, 22lr, 38spl, 380 and 9mm.....I've been ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By sniper58
  • 2 Post By claude clay

Thread: Ammo Ideas

Ammo Ideas

Trying to get an idea on how I'm going to start my "emergency" reserve of ammo. I own 12ga, 22lr, 38spl, 380 and 9mm.....I've been thinking of a few options:

1) buy around $25 worth every payday and rotate. Not necessarily in this order, just for sake of what I'm thinking:
    Pay 1 - 550 rounds of 22
    Pay 2 - 100 rounds of 9mm
    Pay 3 - 50 rounds of 38
    Pay 4 - 50 rounds of 380
    Pay 5 - 25 rounds of buckshot
    Repeat

2) load up and buy in bulk...I'd like to have 1000 rounds per caliber except for the 22, I'll prob go for about 10k of those (since they are good for everything and cheap). I'll prob buy the 22 first, then the 9mm and the shotgun, followed by the 38 and maybe the 380.

Here is my mindset: I live in the middle of a big city, so if the SHTF, I mean really hits the fan (I'm thinking natural disaster would be the most likely scenario in this area - but who knows) I want to be ready. I guess my concern is a Katrina type situation with the gang-violence and looting. Plus i really enjoy shooting, so having it on hand is always convenient.

I don't know if I need to stockpile 380, reason is the wife and I carry our 380's now for concealment, if the shtf will we be worried so much about deep concealment? I'm thinking open carry will become standard. Don't get me wrong, I'll still stock up, just after I get the others fully up to snuff, and maybe not so much.

The 38 is nice, just expensive compared to the 9mm. The reason I like the 38 is because I like the idea of having a good wheel-gun on hand.

What do you guys think? IMO ammo is always going to be a good investment, so I don't mind spending the cash, I just want to be smart about it. Any good ideas? I'm new to this whole game, so I am trying to read as much as possible....thanks!

Overall I'd say your plan is sound, as long as you're investing in other SHTF gear and supplies. I'd probably cap the .380 supply at a couple of hundred rounds and favor the .38 and 9mm instead. BTW, where's your centerfire rifle in all this?

Add some rifled slugs and birdshot to your shotgun ammo list, so maybe 10-15% of your total shotgun supply is birdshot, 10% is slug, and the rest is buck. I'd go as high as 25-30% birdshot myself since I'm a hunter.

Don't forget an adequate number of magazines for each mag-fed weapon, and some speedloaders for the wheelguns. I'd say a minimum of 5 per gun. Got basic holsters, mag pouches and slings for all the toys?

In my view, I want one long gun and one service-type handgun per responsible shooter in a bug-out situation, plus a couple of 'specialty' guns. At least one shotgun, one centerfire hunting rifle, and one 10/22 need to be part of my ideal battery, in addition to the sidearms. Guns and ammo start adding up in weight and bulk, so commonality of ammo, mags and related equipment (e.g., cleaning gear) ought to factor into your choices.

Consider the "bug out" as well as the "ensconced defender" scenarios in your SHTF plans.
    HoganLongfellow likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Smitty's right about magazines. THE #1 cause for a malfunction in an SA pistol is magazine failure or one type or another. I think your plan is good, but would suggest getting ammo for your SD on the first pay (whatever that weapon would be), then work the list. I agree on capping the .380 and stack the 9mm/.38. Definitely get auxiliary equipment and keep things simple - commonality is a good thing.
    HoganLongfellow likes this.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Overall I'd say your plan is sound, as long as you're investing in other SHTF gear and supplies. I'd probably cap the .380 supply at a couple of hundred rounds and favor the .38 and 9mm instead. BTW, where's your centerfire rifle in all this?

Add some rifled slugs and birdshot to your shotgun ammo list, so maybe 10-15% of your total shotgun supply is birdshot, 10% is slug, and the rest is buck. I'd go as high as 25-30% birdshot myself since I'm a hunter.

Don't forget an adequate number of magazines for each mag-fed weapon, and some speedloaders for the wheelguns. I'd say a minimum of 5 per gun. Got basic holsters, mag pouches and slings for all the toys?

In my view, I want one long gun and one service-type handgun per responsible shooter in a bug-out situation, plus a couple of 'specialty' guns. At least one shotgun, one centerfire hunting rifle, and one 10/22 need to be part of my ideal battery, in addition to the sidearms. Guns and ammo start adding up in weight and bulk, so commonality of ammo, mags and related equipment (e.g., cleaning gear) ought to factor into your choices.

Consider the "bug out" as well as the "ensconced defender" scenarios in your SHTF plans.
    currently shoppin' for my SHTF rifle... I'm debating on the following:

a Hi Point carbine
    a Kel Tec sub 2000
    ak-47
    ar-15

I know that's a very broad selection....i'm stuck on what I think I really need.

My thought process is this: if I get a 9mm rifle I can keep my ammo consistent (at a great price compared to some others). BUT, an AK/AR are in a different class....

I was also thinkin' about a mini-14. I have 2 rugers and I like them a lot. it's the next one on my list...just trying to figure out what I really want I guess.

Thanks for the feedback guys, great information!!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    proficiency and having, is where its at

with 2 shooters it becomes cost effective to re-load
    a dillon square deal $300 and $100 for scale & stuff plus all 3 calibers brings it to $600
    than it cost ( plus your time ~one hour per 300 rounds) cost is 13 cents per round; 9mm, 38/357 an 380
    22 on special is $17/525 and shot gun is...buy on special.

but upside is you will be able to make various loads and practice when you want, what you want
    pays for it self in the 1st year...do the math. 380 in the store ~$20 with tax for 50; you-- $6.50.

Marlin 38/357. hunt out to 200 yards with a $150 Nikon 3-9x scope. load for 357, 158gr JHP @ $15/50
    Last edited by claude clay; January 27th, 2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: rifle for deer
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Get as much "Social Ammo" as you can afford. I buy every two weeks at pay day with about $100 of ammo. I have been doing this every payday for the last 6 years including components to make more of the same. I have a very nice supply of this ammo and it was painless doing it every 2 weeks on a regular basis. I just received a bulk shipment of Ranger T +P+ 127 GR 9MM ammo for 1000 rounds this week and it is sitting on my shelves along with a good stock of 40S&W and 45ACP. Steady purchases can build up a large supply of goods, at one payday at a time.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Of the 4 rifles you mentioned, I'd dismiss the first two simply based on ruggedness. Decent AKs and ARs are service-type weapons by design, with decades of duty and millions of each out in the field to prove them. Not so for the Hi Point or Kel-Tec. In a serious SHTF situation, weapon reliability should not have to enter your mind.

I'd also favor a rifle chambered in a rifle round if you're only going to have one. Pistol rounds benefit with maybe a 50% increase in velocity when fired in a carbine-length barrel, but even the lowly 30-30 has more than 4 times the available energy of the 9mm. You can almost always load a rifle down in power, but there's a limit on how much you can load a pistol round up.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

that's why this forum is so awesome....GREAT info - thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Smitty on the Rifles. I personally have a Hi-point carbine and not gonna lie it sucks. But I didn't pay much for it and I pretty much bought it as a fun lil gun to plink with. Very cheaply made though. You can build up a very nice AK for a good price but personally I'm more of an AR guy. I would say either choice between the two would be good for you. Personally I'd get out and find someone that has them if you've never shot each style and see which you like. test functionality actually get a feel for the weap and see what you think you could possible clean and take care of easier as well. I imagine in a natural disaster there will be all kinds of dirt and debris so you definitely want something you are confident in maintaining.

You've gotten good advice thus far. I agree with the idea of getting reloading equipment and supplies. Get a few hundred rounds of commercial ammo for each firearm. Make sure of functionality in your firearms. Then make up loads to approximate each commercial load. This will be your practice ammo. It will be a lot cheaper, so you'll be able to practice as much as you like without having to sell your firstborn.

Sponsored Links