Short Barrel 38 SPL Ammo

This is a discussion on Short Barrel 38 SPL Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if there are any other 38 Special ammo other than Gold Dots that are designed to work with snubbies. The only one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Short Barrel 38 SPL Ammo

Distinguished Member

Short Barrel 38 SPL Ammo

I was wondering if there are any other 38 Special ammo other than Gold Dots that are designed to work with snubbies. The only one I can find is from Speer which is a good choice but I am looking for options.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

The classic 158gr SWCHP+P "FBI load" is hard to ignore...available from various sources.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

What's wrong with Golden Sabers or Critical Defense?
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    What's wrong with Golden Sabers or Critical Defense?
    Nothing wrong with either, however the test data for both is with a 4in barrel. I was wondering if there are others designed specifically for short barrels such as a snub barrel revolver.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

If it will punch deep, and shoots well...tell me why it simply must be "designed specifically for short barrels"?

What do you think you are gaining, besides paying for somebody's marketing?

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    The classic 158gr SWCHP+P "FBI load" is hard to ignore...available from various sources.
    ^^^^^^^^^^This. You can spend alot more money, but can't do any better.
    Clay and awoodpd13 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member
    So where can I get this FBI load? The only place I have been able to locate them is on the Bullalo bore website.

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    If it will punch deep, and shoots well...tell me why it simply must be "designed specifically for short barrels"?

What do you think you are gaining, besides paying for somebody's marketing?

^^^^^^Ideally^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Speer GD Short Barrel stuff has been tested to reliably expand when fired from a 2in. or shorter barrel.
    Something the other .357, and .38 loads cannot boast.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

The fact that it is designed to expand reliably from a short barrel reeks of compromise. To get, you have to give.

Either the jacket is extremely thin, or the velocity has been increased. I think it's a little of both. The bullet weight is reduced to 135, which let's it fly faster, and, I'm sure the jacket has been redesigned to aid in the expansion.

Another great marketing ploy to get more of your $.

Even by reducing to the 135 from 158 weight bullet, the gain in velocity is not significant.
    Clay likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^Ideally^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Speer GD Short Barrel stuff has been tested to reliably expand when fired from a 2in. or shorter barrel.
    Something the other .357, and .38 loads cannot boast.
    Ideally...means little or nothing when the rubber hits the road...or, as Golden Earring sang, when the bullet meets the bone.

The 158gr+P SWCHP has a record of being rather good in the expansion department...and in the case it doesn't, retains it's SWC profile to cut a wide channel.

Sorry, but you cannot 100% guarantee expansion from any load.

If you were on the BB web site... did you notice the Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 (non +p) load? It comes in 158 SWC, 150 Hard Cast Wad Cutter and 125 JHP. I have the 158s in my 638 as I type this. Great round that is both powerful and controlable. I've also used the Gold Dots and Critical Defense. All are excellent, well-planned defensive rounds that work well in snubbies.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    So where can I get this FBI load? The only place I have been able to locate them is on the Bullalo bore website.
    - If you have a Cabelas near you, they carry various Buffalo Bore .38spl loads.

I tried the "FBI" load from Buffalo Bore, and found it a bit much for me to handle.

I prefer to use the standard pressure, low flash variety. It's still pretty stout, but manageable

I've shot Winchester and Federal's 125 grain +P stuff, and it was a lot softer in the recoil department than Buffalo Bore's 158 grain standard pressure stuff.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Yeah, standard pressure loads with the 158 weight swc are really all that's really needed. They still drive deep and straight.
    Clay, pete950 and Old School like this.

I am carrying Crit Defense standard pressure, especially since reading this. I am not opposed to the FBI load, I just haven't acquired any and want some quality time with it first. For hoo-ha's here's a read: Loads for Snub Nose Revolvers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links