147gr Golden Sabers or Gold Dots?

This is a discussion on 147gr Golden Sabers or Gold Dots? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Eaglebeak Tarnished "new" rounds would make me a bit edgy as well since that would probably indicate someone selling off cheaply purchased ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 147gr Golden Sabers or Gold Dots?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Tarnished "new" rounds would make me a bit edgy as well since that would probably indicate someone selling off cheaply purchased "salvage" merchandise that had been damaged by a shipping accident, improper storage, or a natural disaster (flood, etc.). Since you're not sure of what it's been exposed to, I'd certainly try returning them to get "un-damaged" stuff. If you purchased them from some fly-by-night place, you might have better luck contacting the manufacturer to explain what you got and where you got it.

To answer your original question, Gold Dot generally has the best ballastics and overall performance over just about everything but very expensive, custom-built ammo like Buffalo Bore; but Golden Saber is an extremely close second. The difference between the two isn't worth arguing, and you can't go wrong with either one - providing, that is, neither one has set under a few feet of floodwater for a day or so.

^^^^^^^THIS ^^^^^^^^^

is the first thing that came to my mind.

Someone had some ammo stored somewhere and it got wet and sat for awhile.

Either or will perform well, with GD being nearer the top.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

Whatever performs most reliably in your specific gun. I've used both, on different pistols. In a Browning BDM 9mm, I had fantastic results with the Golden Saber 124gr and 147gr flavors. In a variety of pistols, I've used Gold Dots. So long as its performance characteristics are sufficient for you, and so long as it's reliable in your gun, either should work.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Gold Dots. Sabers are known for not expanding well....

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennO87 View Post
    Really? Who knows this?

As to why the golden sabers the OP got were tarnished...who knows? Copper tarnishes too. As to why the plastic holder inside the box was busted up...well that is due to poor shipping methods. Anyways it does not matter, tarnish is not like rust, it only forms on the surface, and will not effect performance. All it will effect is your OCD
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Negative on the golden sabres. I have done practical shot tests on everyday items using multiple different brands and found the golden sabres perform the worst. Gold dots are some of the higher performing rounds out there. I carry Corbon DPX in my 45's and I carried gold dots or the new Federal HST in my 357sig and 40.
    The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it-The American flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it, American soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them...they fight because they love what's behind them."

I managed to purchase one of the only boxes of Golden Sabres that was loaded with too great an OAL to feed in my elderly Browning Hi-Power.
    This is absolutely positively the only instance of this happening I ever encountered.
    As far as which is better ... there are several very good choices ... like the wise man said, "You pays-a you money and takes-a you choice."
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO87 View Post
    Not sure what your sources are, but i've seen other tests that show the 9mm and 45 Golden Sabers performing well. And for what it's worth, the 147 grain 9mm is on "the list" vetted by Dr. Roberts. I usually carry 147 grain Ranger T, but the 147 grain GS has been 100% reliable in both my 9's, and between the feeding reliability, combat accuracy in my guns, and tests I've seen, I am comfortable with them. And that's what we all must do; do our own research, establish reliability, and learn to shoot that particular ammo well.
    NRA Life Member

Obviously those that say the Golden Sabers do not expand well are those that have never actually tested the bullets themselves. The Golden Sabers expand quite well and are a good choice in bullets. However, I do not recommend the 147 grain bullet as this heavy bullet driven at high velocity will almost certainly over penetrate the target. Meaning it can shoot through a human body and still have plenty of energy left to injure or kill an innocent. The 147 grain of any bullet would not be my choice for a self defense round for and individual not involved in law enforcement.

I have used both brands before, and when I was a cop I had several chances to talk with departments that had actual shootings with them. Both worked admirably, but the grain weights they used were not the 147's, but rather the 124 grainers. In particular the 124 grain +P Gold Dot loads were reportedly working well for those agencies in our area that still carried the 9mm. NYPD still uses this load to my knowledge and are VERY satisfied with their shooting results.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I think they are both very capable rounds.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Brass tarnishes. It's a fact of life. If it bothers you, use Brasso or Duraglit on them and shine them up. They will still work just as well anyway. Do you think they are going to look all spiffy covered in blood and tissue?

The only shiny bullets that scared the bad guys were the silver bullets in the Lone Rangers gun.
    will the Brasso or Duraglit penetrate the components inside the ammo when polishing it? the tarnishing on the GS ammo head sometime irritates me

here is a ballistic gel test of the GS 147 gr. done by tnoutdoors9
    9mm Remington Golden Saber 147 gr Ammo Gel test - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    Obviously those that say the Golden Sabers do not expand well are those that have never actually tested the bullets themselves. The Golden Sabers expand quite well and are a good choice in bullets. However, I do not recommend the 147 grain bullet as this heavy bullet driven at high velocity will almost certainly over penetrate the target. Meaning it can shoot through a human body and still have plenty of energy left to injure or kill an innocent. The 147 grain of any bullet would not be my choice for a self defense round for and individual not involved in law enforcement.
    Obviously those who say all 147gr bullets over penetrate everything and should only be used by law enforcement are misinformed and haven't done much research. At all.
    In all of the testing I have seen, more velocity = more expansion = less penetration. In TNoutdoors9's gel tests, the 147gr HST penetrated 13.25", the 147gr +P penetrated 11.25" and had a little more expansion.

When Golden Sabers work as they are supposed to, they're great. The issue is consistency. Compared to other duty rounds like Gold Dot, HST or Ranger-T, Golden Sabers have had higher rates of failure to expand. Compared to the other bullets, the GS also has high instances of core-jacket separation. The Bonded GS is a large improvement as it eliminates any core-jacket separation.
    The Golden Saber has been around for quite a while. I like the idea of a brass jacket, but like Federal's Hydra-Shok, it needs to be redesigned or retired in my opinion.
    I wouldn't hesitate to carry Gold Dot 124gr +P but my preferred load is the 147gr +P HST.

Golden Sabres are old technology. Very effective on the street though. I would run Speer 124 g +P golddots or 127+P+ Ranger T's. These rounds are state of the art and have great street records. Both highly recommended by Mas.
    Gen 4 G26, Gen 4 G23, 442-1

A recent survey showed that after being shot during commission of crimes, over 90% of bad guys couldn't tell whether they'd been shot with HST's or Ranger T's. Several did, however, say that Golden Sabers and Gold Dots were not quite as bad.

Regards,
    Jim

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links