How many rounds before you TRUST

This is a discussion on How many rounds before you TRUST within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have ordered Rem. GS, Fed Hydrashocks, Speer Gold Dots and Winchester Silver Tips for evaluation. My question is: Once you find a particular defensive ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many rounds before you TRUST

I have ordered Rem. GS, Fed Hydrashocks, Speer Gold Dots and Winchester Silver Tips for evaluation. My question is: Once you find a particular defensive round thatís accurate, how many do you put through your carry gun before you can trust the reliability. (Feed problems etc.)

J.S.

I say run as many as you comfortable with, if the rounds feed smooth without hanging up and cycle the gun shoot as many rounds as it takes untill you are confident in the ammo. All the rounds above should operate fine in most guns. I use the GS without any problems, you might want to fire some when it is dark to check the muzzle flash. The silver tips have a large flash, the GS have the smallest that said I have never tried the GD.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    In my opinion you do not have to run your carry stuff through the weapon for your break in/eval period. Check for reliability with a cheaper load then 50,at the most, of your carry load. If your carry load will be a +P,then maybe even less.

For the reliability factor,I would think 200-400 should do it. Especially if it was a very tight fit pistol. --------

Assistant Administrator
    I think it will depend on the gun somewhat.

If on tight side like my SIG was then - std ball ammo over about 500 rounds - well, needed shooting practice anyways! Then for me two 15 rounders of chosen carry ammo - which in my case in this gun is +P 124 GD's.

However - if say I bought a well broke in 1911, with a real free slide etc - I daresay I'd only need 50 to 100 rounds to satisfy myself.

Seems too that most Glocks will after familiarization and testing a mag or two of carry ammo are dead on reliable - and I say that as a non-Glocker!

I handled a while back a near NIB H&K .45usp - a buddy let me try it after he had only fired about 2 mags. I put two more mags thru and to be honest - I'd have been easy carrying that gun straight away.

Let's say - depending on platform and newness/age - between 100 -400 should do most.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I follow two or three hundred, malfunction-free rounds of ball ammunition with a basic-load of carry ammunition and call it good to go. Chances are if your gun does not malfunction after a few hundred rounds of ball or on your carry ammunition when its dirty, it will function fine with your carry ammunition when it is clean.

VIP Member
    all these replies have merit. I personally would fire a box and if no failures feel it is good to go. besides I'll be reevaluating during each practice session.

VIP Member
    I go a minimum of 250 rounds...but one malf and I either do another 250 (malf free) or another load...expensive when you are talking premium defensive rounds?...yes, but how much is one's life really worth?
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    Once you find a particular defensive round that’s accurate, how many do you put through your carry gun before you can trust the reliability. (Feed problems etc.)
    I've got a short list of pistols that I've carried or worried about trusting for reliability, including:
    • Browning BDM 9mm full-size
    • CZ 75 P-01 Compact 9mm
    • Kahr PM9 9mm micro
    • KelTec P3AT 380ACP micro
    • S&W 442 Airweight 38SPL revolver

The 442 was reliable out of the box and didn't require much shooting time to prove that. Always went bang.

The BDM took some time to break-in and smooth out, but ended up (with over 35K rounds) being extremely reliable. Able to handle any ammo. Able to handle being unclean for a couple thousand rounds. Got highly accurate under 50ft over time, as well. Got to the point where it could, at 7-10yds, carve out holes in a paper range target between 1" and 1.5" in diameter ... by carving the hole along the outside of the circle. Very cool.

The CZ P01 is just now through its break-in period. Highly accurate, highly reliable. 1700 rounds so far, and I'm convinced that it will handle the Remington Golden Saber JHP 115gr or 124gr +P without issue; Federal HydraShok 124gr +P without issue. As reliable as the BDM ever was. Is currently at the gunsmith (Matt Mink) finishing up a trigger/action, slide, tuning/reliability job. When it comes back, it's going into the daily carry rotation. No worries.

The Kahr PM9 is currently starting a break-in period, for possible duty as a daily, go-everywhere BUG. Slide is having some racking/smoothness issues, so jury's out until resolved. So far, only a couple failures to feed, but I attribute that to lack of smoothness on the barrel ramp, as I'm only 250 rds into the break-in period. This might require a couple thousand rounds for me to feel comfortable. We'll see. Got to find the cause of that slide hanging up during racking/disassembly. Where's a good Kahr gunsmith when you need one ...

The P3AT is currently undergoing a break-in period, as a possible daily, go-verywhere BUG. Reasonably reliable after a few dozen rounds. Haven't yet sent it through its paces. It's a light pistol intended to be carried a lot, shot a little. I'm not comfortable only sending a couple hundred rounds through and then claiming something good. This one will take some massaging, likely, as well as a few spring sets as I go through the break-in period. Hopefully it will survive the throttling I tend to give carry pieces, as it's so wonderfully small, light, hidden.

Bottom line: Depends on the gun. Sometimes, intuition can mean a lot. Intuition + a couple thousand rounds means everything. Basically, I will not put my life in the hands of something that hasn't proved its worth.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

i run the cheap ammo in the gun for break in, approximately 500 to 600 rounds. then i will clean the gun and then i will run two full mags of carry ammo in the gun. then i will clean the gun and will again run two full mags of carry ammo. i will repeat this several times. if a gun will shoot two mags with out any problems then it is ready to carry. most gun fights will only be several rounds and you will not reload. you can tell in the first mag if the gun is up for the carry role. most guns can be make to work, no matter... and some guns you are just killing time.

Thanks for the info, all. We have 500 rounds in my wife's G26 and I love this Gun. I feel like I could stack bullets with it, even though I don't all the time. The Kahr was going to take a long time for me to shoot as accurately. I had a last chance to trade in the pm9 and I did it. We now have 2 Glock 26 models. I have about 200 rounds through my new G26 and I have more confidence in that gun than any I have ever owned. I hope stating that doesn't jinks it. I think the pm9 would be a great BUG however after shooting both and field stripping both I own another Glock 26. The pm9 started some slide problems after 500 rounds and that killed what confidence I had left in it. I am more than glad to put up with a little bigger size for what I'm gaining in accuracy and confidence. My defensive ammo choices should be here this week and I'm going to put both G26s to the test.

Thanks for the advice,

J.S.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    On a gun I've broken in I shoot a box (50 rounds) to check feeding and function.
    After that I'm fine.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Depends. I'm happy with my newest XD after 50 or so rounds of ball, 50 or so of cheap Walmart hollowpoints and 2-3 magazines of carry ammo, from the magazine I'll carry with. If I didn't have experience with an identical gun, I might want more ammo first, and I'll trust other magazines as I use them. The gunwriters say 200 rounds malfunction free of your carry ammo, but that's expensive and IMO not necessary if your gun feeds everything else well.

Exclamation +1!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk6 View Post
    I follow two or three hundred, malfunction-free rounds of ball ammunition with a basic-load of carry ammunition and call it good to go. Chances are if your gun does not malfunction after a few hundred rounds of ball or on your carry ammunition when its dirty, it will function fine with your carry ammunition when it is clean.
    Yup. That works for me, too.

When I first got my USP 45, I decided to test my buddies assertion that the USP was the only gun he'd take straight to a war from the box. He's a retired 05 SpecOps. I decided to shoot it until it jammed....no lube or cleaning....straight from the box. Factory lube only. Two THOUSAND rounds later...still humming along happily. Not a single FTF or FTE. Nothing. I had to clean the piece. Felt like I was disrespecting a very classy lady.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Generally, I break in a new gun with 300 rounds of hand loaded ammo, followed by 100-200 rounds of factory ammo. Reliability in feeding and ejection is paramount. If there are no malfunctions, the gun is good to go.

100 rounds of ball
    100 rounds of preferred carry ammo (all malf free)

Away I go.
    The Marshmallowist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links