Old Guy has question about carry ammo.

This is a discussion on Old Guy has question about carry ammo. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 25 years ago, I carried a S&W Model 19 2.5" .357 loaded with Remington .38 special +P 125 gr. SJHP. Now that Wisconsin has concealed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Old Guy has question about carry ammo.

Old Guy has question about carry ammo.

25 years ago, I carried a S&W Model 19 2.5" .357 loaded with Remington .38 special +P 125 gr. SJHP. Now that Wisconsin has concealed carry, I still carry my Model 19 using +P 125 gr. SJHP. I bought a box of Hornady Critical Defense .38 special 110 gr. FTX. Of the two, which would you say is the better round for defense? I worked in the Security industry and as a Private Detective and was allowed to carry a firearm, but not concealed. Been retired for 10 years and kind of lost touch with the shooting world until I got my concealed license. Thanks for any feed back.
    Retired Private Detective
    S&W Model 19 2.5" .357

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I would stick with the 125 grain.

The new Hornady shows good data, as does the "original" 125 gr tried and true loads. At the distances most gunfights take place at, I'm not sure it is much of a difference. I would personally sick with the 125 gr SJHP.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Neither. The Speer Gold Dot 135 grain .38 Special +P designed for short-barreled revolvers is among a very few 38 Special loads that have performed well in FBI tests from two inch revolvers. Corbon's 110 grain .38 Special +P all copper bullet is another good option. If you want to shoot a hot and speedy .357 load, that's a different story.
    Eaglebeak likes this.

Thanks for the feed back...I want to stay with a .38 special round...The .357 is a little much for me.
    Retired Private Detective
    S&W Model 19 2.5" .357

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Sadly, the 125 grain .357 Magnum loading is famous for cracking barrels of M19 revolvers. Not the +p .38 Special; the .357 Magnum load. I carry a 2.5 inch M19 also. I shoot .357 Magnum Winchester Silvertips in it as a carry load. However, you want to carry .38 Special +p ammo.

I'm an old guy too. I prefer heavier bullets. My choice for a .38 Special load is the 158 SWCL standard or +p loading by Federal, Winchester and somebody else. But the 125 grain Remington works well. Probably the 110 weight bullets will do. However, I firmly believe heavier is better.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Sadly, the 125 grain .357 Magnum loading is famous for cracking barrels of M19 revolvers. Not the +p .38 Special; the .357 Magnum load. I carry a 2.5 inch M19 also. I shoot .357 Magnum Winchester Silvertips in it as a carry load. However, you want to carry .38 Special +p ammo.

I'm an old guy too. I prefer heavier bullets. My choice for a .38 Special load is the 158 SWCL standard or +p loading by Federal, Winchester and somebody else. But the 125 grain Remington works well. Probably the 110 weight bullets will do. However, I firmly believe heavier is better.
    Actually it was the 110 grain .357 loads that cracked the forcing cone on "some" model 19's after many many rounds fired.

Use a little narrower brush when you paint your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Actually it was the 110 grain .357 loads that cracked the forcing cone on "some" model 19's after many many rounds fired.

Use a little narrower brush when you paint your opinion.
    110 grain may be guilty as well but I'm with Archie. The 125 grain magnum loads get lots of press as to possible cause of cracked forcing cones.
    P.S.-A spoonful of honey helps the unwarranted criticism go down.

Quote Originally Posted by redwilson View Post
    Thanks for the feed back...I want to stay with a .38 special round...The .357 is a little much for me.
    Don't blame you at all the .38s are still a great round in the Model 19. Many swear by the so-called FBI load the 158gr LSWCHP +P. But you are surely fine with what you have been using.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
    Neither. The Speer Gold Dot 135 grain .38 Special +P designed for short-barreled revolvers is among a very few 38 Special loads that have performed well in FBI tests from two inch revolvers. Corbon's 110 grain .38 Special +P all copper bullet is another good option. If you want to shoot a hot and speedy .357 load, that's a different story.
    DPX Ammo 38 Special +P 110 Grain Barnes XPB Hollow Point Lead-Free Box of 20

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    110 grain may be guilty as well but I'm with Archie. The 125 grain magnum loads get lots of press as to possible cause of cracked forcing cones.
    P.S.-A spoonful of honey helps the unwarranted criticism go down.
    What I was trying to point out was the fact that talking (or posting ) in absolutes is a way erroneous information is spread.

P.S. Thank you Mary Poppins.

I keep my .38/.357s loaded with the DPX .38+P 110 gr. Recoil feels somewhere between standard .38 and .357, and the DPX has excellent expansion and velocity.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    What I was trying to point out was the fact that talking (or posting ) in absolutes is a way erroneous information is spread.

P.S. Thank you Mary Poppins.
    Thanks, "Mary Poppins" that's one I've never been called. I'll add it to the resume. But, "actually it was the 110 grain" sounds mighty "absolute" to my Poppin's ears.

I use 125 grain Golden Saber in my SP101 .357, but wouldn't hesitate to use the aforementioned FBI load
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

The old .38 Special FBI load and many .38 Special hollow-point loads have failed to expand in FBI test protocols when fired from a snubnose and thru heavy clothing.

38_Sp_BUG_load_sample.jpg

More info here:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links