Could have been a problem?

This is a discussion on Could have been a problem? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd been cleaning brass on and off for the last two days. Today I went over to my sons house to pickup my two grand ...

Thread: Could have been a problem?

Could have been a problem?

I'd been cleaning brass on and off for the last two days. Today I went over to my sons house to pickup my two grand children for the day and my son asked if I would clean some .45 and 9mm for him. Well of course I said. Being the dummie I am, I just dumped all the cases into my turbo and let it rip for a few hours. Well you probably know what I found when I pulled them out. 9mm's inside of the 45's. As luck would have it there were only about 150 cases in all that I had to separate with a very thin nosed jewelers pliers. But, that wasn't the worst thing. Also in the mix was an unfired .22 long rifle cartridge that had spent about three hours churning in the mix.

A lesson was learned today. Always double check what your putting in that tumbler prior to turning it on.

Sure greatful the .22 didn't go off, especially with the grandkids in the house.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I think .22's would take a lot more than tumbling to be at risk - but for sure - better not to have them in there!

I did a ''multi-mix'' myself last year - was too impatient. I find it is the 9mm's that get nicely lodged in .40's and .40's into 45's. Some I could not separate as media had gotten jammed between the two and would not come out.!

Time lost in that chaos is actually time saved by doing one cal batches I find - in the end.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    .22 LR detonating inside a tumbler, however remote that possibility is, would not likely pose much of a threat. I wouldn't want to test it out, but my guess is that without adequate containment to build pressure and nothing to "push-off" against, the bullet would not penetrate a plastic tumbler. Even if it did, there wouldn't be enough residual energy to be lethal. Again, that's just an educated guess; not an excuse to clean .22 LRs in a brass tumbler.

I only load .44, .45, and 7mm Mag. so I can mix and clean without issue.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

VIP Member
    I saw a.22 cooked off in a spoon heated by a candle and placed in a wooden box with a plexiglass front. Nothing got out of the box. This was at a Wash state hunter safety class.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    If it was a barrel type tumbler you possibly could have had a problem(though pretty unlikely) but a vibrator type,can't imagine it.

I have a few problems with my .45-70 in with my .444 Marlin also. If a few pieces of media get stuck just right in between the two pieces of brass, I have to tap them with a screwdriver to free them.-------

The only calibers that I clean together are 9mm and 38-357. This combination is actually the sane size so there is no hiding inside the larger brass. But I arrived at this decision in the manner you described.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    I saw a.22 cooked off in a spoon heated by a candle and placed in a wooden box with a plexiglass front. Nothing got out of the box. This was at a Wash state hunter safety class.
    I think I would have walked out.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Links