Is 3 inch barrel too short for 45acp? - Page 2

Is 3 inch barrel too short for 45acp?

This is a discussion on Is 3 inch barrel too short for 45acp? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Ultra CDP II is outstanding in reliability and accuracy. I just acquired a chronograph, so I'll post some velocity comparisons with my 5" Desert ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Is 3 inch barrel too short for 45acp?

My Ultra CDP II is outstanding in reliability and accuracy. I just acquired a chronograph, so I'll post some velocity comparisons with my 5" Desert Warrior before long. I am, however, totally confident that the Ultra will get the job done.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Ti Carry, if you can pocket carry a snubby, you can pocket carry an Ultra Carry II. However, tight pants just won't cut it. I carry mine in jeans, casual and dress trousers.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    Ti Carry, if you can pocket carry a snubby, you can pocket carry an Ultra Carry II. However, tight pants just won't cut it. I carry mine in jeans, casual and dress trousers.
    Yea, I don't wear tight so much but one's that fit me with an IWB holster so about 1 size larger. My leg's are thick from years of water sking and working out. So finding pants (other than 5.11's to wear everyday) is hard to find with leg's with enough room to not tighten up when sitting down thus my carry piece buldging through.

Not a big deal, I guess we all can't be the same and carry any way we please.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by beagler View Post
    I know many manufacturers make 45's with three inch barrels, but I read on another forum that any gun with a three inch barrel is not allowing a 45 to reach enough velocity for it to expand and penetrate properly on human flesh. Has anyone confirmed this? Any thoughts? I'm looking to get a new CCW, and it is a 3 inch 45, so I'm slighly intrigued.
    If you have a concern about the ability of the 45 ACP round to expand when launched out of a three inch tube i would have to assume your talking about a 230 gr. standard pressure load. Maybe thats got truth to it, I dont know. Try a 165 gr JHP load or the 185 gr+P JHP load. This should tighten ya up.

I bought a use S&W 4513 tsw and have not had any failures in about
    300 rounds. It has a 3 3/4" barrel and at 15 yards is pretty accurate.

As stated i would not want to be in front of it.

JImB

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Pride View Post
    If you have a concern about the ability of the 45 ACP round to expand when launched out of a three inch tube i would have to assume your talking about a 230 gr. standard pressure load. Maybe thats got truth to it, I dont know. Try a 165 gr JHP load or the 185 gr+P JHP load. This should tighten ya up.
    If talking about the a 1911, I have read some posting on the m1911.org forum that less then 230 gr rounds may affect reliability in 3.5 inch and smaller barrels.

I look at it this way, I carry 230 JHP. If it expands great, if not well it is still making a .45 inch hole.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    With my Ultra Carry, I am more than confident in it's performance.

I've never had one single hiccup in over 1500 rounds ~ ball, JHP, or otherwise.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

i carry (and recommend) lighter loads in shorter barrels to increase velocity.

Sponsor
    Geesh,

You guys are all 1911 platformers? No glocks amongst you, at least from the responses so far.

My g36 may lose some velocity [ 3.75" barrel ], but it gains some of that velocity back being a polygonal bore and tighter sealing than lands and grooves.

I use the 230+p Win Ranger in the shorter g36, between that and the polygonal, it loses nothing over standard vel to my 5 inch gov. models.

Pocket carry? Sure, the g36 regularly sits in the back pocket of the jeans. I can't see carrying in the front pocket of the jeans, too tight and almost impossible to get too while seated.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Pride View Post
    Not really. All loads are designed to score the best on the FBI test from a typical pistol. That means 15 inches of gel penetration. 165, 185, and 230s - all have the same goal. Slowing any of them down will cause less expansion, and so more penetration. I have no reason to suspect that a 165 or 185 would do better in a 3 inch barrel than a 230. In fact, I would tend to think the 230 would do better, since it would lose a lower percentage of its design velocity.

Really like my ultra carry 11 extremely reliable. I can hit a 50 rd winchester white box from 65 feet easily.

I have a Para Executive Carry. So far, it has been 100% reliable, except with lead semi-wadcutters - which I tried but of course would never carry. It also seems accurate.

I have a Beretta Cougar 8045 8 shot and the barrel is 3.7" and it does very well according to the specks. I am sure you would get better numbers with a 4" or 5" barrel. But even with a 3" barrel I would not want to be in front of it at any reasonably short distant.

Thread revival, however if y'all can shed new light on the subject of really shorty .45 automatics then have at it.

I never chronographed the cartridge from a barrel length shorter than 5 inches but don't much think that .45 ACP ballistics would be diminished appreciably in being fired in a 3-inch barrel. Put it this way. With good hits, an assailant probably couldn't describe the difference between 5-inch and 3-inch terminal ballistics.

I'm unsure about the reliability record of the really shorty "1911" guns.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I conceal carry a 5" 1911 on my belt for the most velocity and accuracy. I pocket carry a 3.3" Springfield Armory XDs-45 as a BUG for close up emergencies. You do lose some velocity, but you can make up for it with smaller and faster bullets like 165 or 185 grain +P if you are concerned about expansion. Some manufacturers make short barrel rounds with faster burning powder to compensate. Reliability is the most important issue with smaller guns with smaller parts.
    Eric357 likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links