Defensive Carry banner

Is 3 inch barrel too short for 45acp?

33K views 47 replies 37 participants last post by  PAcanis 
#1 ·
I know many manufacturers make 45's with three inch barrels, but I read on another forum that any gun with a three inch barrel is not allowing a 45 to reach enough velocity for it to expand and penetrate properly on human flesh. Has anyone confirmed this? Any thoughts? I'm looking to get a new CCW, and it is a 3 inch 45, so I'm slighly intrigued. :smoke23:

#3 ·
I think that the biggest issue is the reliabilty or lack of it in this case.

It used to be that the 3 inchers were notorious for being less than reliable...to the point that depending on ones life for it might be a risky affair.

Im not sure that it's still true, if your gun is reliable without fail then the velocitty difference between a 3,4 or 5 incher wont make much diiference at the normal ranges that gunfights occur.

Even if it dosent expand well...its still a big hole...:gah:

#4 ·
I'd have to go with my2cents on this one as well. I carry a Kimber 3" Ultra CDP a lot of the time and do not feel a bit of anxiety about not having enough power behind the round.

I think what you may be reffering to is people talking about that there is not enough pressure put on the slide when a round is fired in order for a round to be ejected reliably. I find this false as well, my CDP has been a great little shooter. I did have some feeding problems at the beginning but my local smith smoothed that out. I have never had a failure to eject in at least 2,000 rounds, when of course the round is being feed properly which it's 100% these day's after seeing my smith.

Although, if I had it to do again I would go with a Kimber compact 4" Bbl officer frame for better accuracy at greater distances, but that is the only reason why. I carry my Colt Commander when concealment isn't as big of a deal.

Ti.

#7 ·
Here we go again (??) You'll get allot of varied responses to this question.

I own two 3" gunz. Both Kimbers. With a proper F&B on a new(or used) weapon. With the proper mags(as with even the 5" gunz)With proper training. With the proper hand hold. The under 4" 1911's can be just as reliable as their bigger brothers.

As far as the reduced velocity that the 3" bbl'ed weapons will give you.........how much reduced?? What effect will the "reduced velocity" have on your bullet ?? More so one bullet than another ??

I say......this is not something that I wring my hands about. Put at least two,COM,with ANY well constructed .45ACP HP and the(your)problem will be solved. If not,then carry a .500S&W Mag.

Of course >>>a guaranteed stop will still not come with that shot.-------

#9 ·
It's more difficult to get a very short barrel 1911 pattern pistol to function with total reliability but, it certainly is possible.
Detonics has done it.
It requires some modifications to the basic design like the barrel profile & the recoil spring set-up and some hand fit work...in addition to a nicely polished breech face and frame and bbl feed ramp and a tuned extractor.
A chopped 1911 can be just as reliable as a full size pistol but more care needs to be taken with the design and assembly.
It's more likely that a chopped pistol will malfunction unless everything is done correctly.

#10 ·
beagler, to quoat the Noble Bard: Me thinks this is much ado about nothing. As was previously stated it will make a big hole.

#11 ·
If the question is about the weapon, there are .45 ACP's out there that aren't 1911's. The Kahr P45 is one. Even so, I am told that you can make a 3-inch 1911 reliable, although they are a little persnickity.

If it's about bullets, Speer makes a loading especially for .45 shorties...I heard Cor-Bon did, too, but I haven't been able to find anything on it.

#12 ·
The convenience of a 3" 1911 comes at a price. That price is a possible reduction in reliability and a reduction velocity.

As others have mentioned, sub-4" 1911's have a reputation for spotty reliability, though there are certainly reliable ones out there.

As to terminal ballistics. I do not think the .45 ACP becomes impotent when launched from a 3" barrel, but clearly it will not match the performance the same bullet weight and design launched from a 5" barrel. Whether or not the performance of a bullet from a 3" 1911 is adequate for the task at hand is subject to a whole host of other variables.

#13 ·
My 3" Kimber Ultra Carry II is perfect for pocket carry. It is approximately the same size as a .38 Snubby. I carry mine frequently in a Sam Andrews www.andrewsleather.com pocket holster. No print, no bother, no prob, draws easily and is very comfortable.

#14 ·
Dude, I could never carry my CDP in my front pocket. How do you guy's do this? Pocket holster or not, it's still to big for me to carry in my pocket and to heavy when loaded for me too dig it in the front pocket if it fit's even. Is the 5.11 pant's carry or what's the secret.

Ti

#15 ·
No Problemo...

with my Kimber Ultra CDP II...except...for trying to convince my wife that my Ultra and Pro are really the same gun...:image035:
I never have both out of the safe at the same time! :danceban:

ret :urla9ub:

#16 ·
My Ultra CDP II is outstanding in reliability and accuracy. I just acquired a chronograph, so I'll post some velocity comparisons with my 5" Desert Warrior before long. I am, however, totally confident that the Ultra will get the job done.

#17 ·
Ti Carry, if you can pocket carry a snubby, you can pocket carry an Ultra Carry II. However, tight pants just won't cut it. I carry mine in jeans, casual and dress trousers.

#18 ·
Yea, I don't wear tight so much but one's that fit me with an IWB holster so about 1 size larger. My leg's are thick from years of water sking and working out. So finding pants (other than 5.11's to wear everyday) is hard to find with leg's with enough room to not tighten up when sitting down thus my carry piece buldging through.

Not a big deal, I guess we all can't be the same and carry any way we please.

Ti.

#19 ·
If you have a concern about the ability of the 45 ACP round to expand when launched out of a three inch tube i would have to assume your talking about a 230 gr. standard pressure load. Maybe thats got truth to it, I dont know. Try a 165 gr JHP load or the 185 gr+P JHP load. This should tighten ya up.

#22 ·
With my Ultra Carry, I am more than confident in it's performance.

I've never had one single hiccup in over 1500 rounds ~ ball, JHP, or otherwise.

#24 ·
Geesh,

You guys are all 1911 platformers? No glocks amongst you, at least from the responses so far.

My g36 may lose some velocity [ 3.75" barrel ], but it gains some of that velocity back being a polygonal bore and tighter sealing than lands and grooves.

I use the 230+p Win Ranger in the shorter g36, between that and the polygonal, it loses nothing over standard vel to my 5 inch gov. models.

Pocket carry? Sure, the g36 regularly sits in the back pocket of the jeans. I can't see carrying in the front pocket of the jeans, too tight and almost impossible to get too while seated.

Brownie

#28 ·
I have a Beretta Cougar 8045 8 shot and the barrel is 3.7" and it does very well according to the specks. I am sure you would get better numbers with a 4" or 5" barrel. But even with a 3" barrel I would not want to be in front of it at any reasonably short distant.

#29 ·
Thread revival, however if y'all can shed new light on the subject of really shorty .45 automatics then have at it.

I never chronographed the cartridge from a barrel length shorter than 5 inches but don't much think that .45 ACP ballistics would be diminished appreciably in being fired in a 3-inch barrel. Put it this way. With good hits, an assailant probably couldn't describe the difference between 5-inch and 3-inch terminal ballistics.

I'm unsure about the reliability record of the really shorty "1911" guns.

#30 ·
I conceal carry a 5" 1911 on my belt for the most velocity and accuracy. I pocket carry a 3.3" Springfield Armory XDs-45 as a BUG for close up emergencies. You do lose some velocity, but you can make up for it with smaller and faster bullets like 165 or 185 grain +P if you are concerned about expansion. Some manufacturers make short barrel rounds with faster burning powder to compensate. Reliability is the most important issue with smaller guns with smaller parts.

Reactions: Eric357
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.