38 vs 9mm

This is a discussion on 38 vs 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I find it dreadfully funny how much people key in on velocity and energy figures for their choices....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 38 vs 9mm

I find it dreadfully funny how much people key in on velocity and energy figures for their choices.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Yup,

I'll take the heaviest and fastest, but emphasis on "heavy" in any caliber. IMO, that's where the ,38 special rocks!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

It's also comical how some persist in selectively choosing from mediocre .38 Special factory loadings, some even wearing the "+P" designation and yet are light-bullet weenies, and using these quoted .38 Special ballistics to "prove" that the 9mm is "more powerful."
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

We all know a handgun is a piss poor fight stopper. But its easier to carry than a rifle or shotgun. That been said I used to carry a 38 with 158 swc +p+ cor bons. But they dont sell them anymore. Im an auto kind of guy and I carry a 9mm with 124 gr golden sabres. I use the 9 for economic reasons we also have a tactical club we shoot at once a week. And the 9 just makes sense on an economical stand point of view. And with the right load is a decent caliber. And yes shot placement rules. Stay safe.

I did not know the handgun was a bad fight stopper.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I find it dreadfully funny how much people key in on velocity and energy figures for their choices.
    And forget weight & sectional density.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

9 mm would be my first choice.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=skysoldier29;2147420]My thought is. On the street if I can't solve my problems after initial contact with a BG with 5 rounds of 38 SPL, I don't feel having 10 more rounds of 9mm or 4 more rounds of 45 in a 1911 is going to do much good. Either I can't hit my target and he likely got me, or there were multiple bad guys who got me. Almost all the time from what I have read on the Internet (not great info usually) is that most civilian concealed carry shootings happen in less than 5 rounds.[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^This is the sort of rhetoric^^^^^^^^^

The politicians and anti-gunners want to hear from us.

Granted he was/is a police officer, but what would differentiate the shooting, and the end results of the Peter Soulis incident?? Officer Down: The Peter Soulis Incident - Below 100 - LawOfficer.com

I'm not taking about how he came into contact with the perp in question, but just the fact that he had to shoot this individual with the amount of rounds he did. He was very fortunate he did not encounter two or more individuals,he may not have fared as well as he did.
    It could be any one of us, coming into contact with someone like he did.

I know, I know, you pay your dues, ya takes your chances. But I would want the extra rounds.

To answer the OP's question, I think its a draw, with 5 rounds each.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

No shame in a 38. And the right round in a 38+P is not something I want to get shot with.
    Wife switched to a S&W 38 Body Guard the slide on the Autos was not working well with her hand problem. I don't think she is any less protected than with her 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I did not know the handgun was a bad fight stopper.
    Well maybe not a bad fight stopper. but not as good as a rifle or shotty. But easier to carry

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Forget round count. 5 shots vs 15 shots.
    Forget carry condition, recoil, difference in how they shoot.
    Also forget "shot placement is most important" of course it is, but for this case. You have 5 rounds of either type, you can put them anywhere you want on the perp. All five rounds in the head or all 5 in the chest, which round do you prefer?

5 rounds of .38+P (Gold Dots or Hydroshocks) or 5 rounds of 9mm +P (Gold Dots, Golden Saber, Critical Defense etc.)

Type of carry gun does not matter, 5 rounds to 5 rounds.

Which do you think is the better round? .38 or 9mm?
    With all due respect, this appears to be a completely pointless exercise.
    wmhawth likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

My 38 SPL will stop that perp & thats all that counts
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Very Interesting.....Hmmm. The two rounds are close but I think the .38 special more accurate & able to launch a heavier(very slightly) bullet. So guess I'm going with the .38 special.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Energy is the potential ability to do work, at least it's comparative.
    Just because the 38 special might be loaded with a 158 gr. bullet doesn't automatically mean it will penetrate better than the 9mm.

Here are select 9mm and 38 gelatin results from the "Summary of Results" in Street Stoppers.
    Penetration depth, then final diameter:
    38: Winchester 158 gr. LHP +P: 14.8'' / .62
    38: Federal 158 gr. LHP +P: 15.2'' / .60
    9mm: Winchester 147 gr. R-SXT: 15.8'' / .62
    9mm: Federal 147 JHP 9MS-1: 15.9'' / .57

No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

My cousin (long story I won't repeat) was shot at point blank range at his stomach with a .38. It hurt, but it didn't penetrate.... it hit his cowboy belt buckle and the round was found sitting between his buckle and the leather of the belt. The ambulance and the guy on the gurney in the news, was the guy who tried to shoot him after he beat the crap out of the guy for trying to shoot him.

When people talk about grain size of the bullet, that's all fine and good.... but that should not be a sole determiner or you will be disappointed. Penetration is a big factor...... and that's why I suggested the 9mm would be better. An example would be in the .357 .... an approximate 125 gr bullet has been shown to do better with better penetration, than a 158 gr. and is considered to cause more damage.

Personally, I carry a 9mm with a .357 - 5 shot backup, or a 7-shot .357 with a small 9mm as backup. So, either way, they may get a dose of both.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links