+P+ ok in Sig P229?

This is a discussion on +P+ ok in Sig P229? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can my sig handle Buffalo Bore +P+ 147gr 9mm ammo? Getting some defensive ammo to test in my gun. Will only be shooting five rounds ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By SmokinFool
  • 1 Post By sgb

Thread: +P+ ok in Sig P229?

+P+ ok in Sig P229?

Can my sig handle Buffalo Bore +P+ 147gr 9mm ammo? Getting some defensive ammo to test in my gun. Will only be shooting five rounds through my gun (saving the rest to carry.)
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

2. Remove Ads

A SIG can probably handle it, but I wouldn't run anything that stout in mine. Maybe +p, but no more. My 226 gets standard pressure fodder. The XDm gets 124 +p, as I get a good deal on that ammo.

Should be no problem. The P229 has a machined steel slide. That is what they uprgraded the P226 to so it could handle .40 and .357Sig.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

It will handle it just fine, however I wouldn't give it (or any pistol for that matter) a steady diet of +P+. Any pistol, no matter how sturdy it is, will probably become a bit loose with a steady diet of +P+'s. You stated you would be shooting 5 rounds just to test for functionality, and then using it as your carry load. That should not be a problem. Use it with confidence.
    kmagnuss and 357and40 like this.

sgb
    Winchester, Speer & Federal all make 147 gr 9mm loads that pass the FBI protocol (can't say as I've seen the Buffalo Bore load tested) and do it without resorting to +P+ pressures. Why subject your p229 to increased wear unnecessarily?
    multistage likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

The stainless steel solid slide of the Sig 229 will be just fine with +p+ loads. Like said above... I wouldn't shoot thousands of rounds through it... but I wouldn't think twice about running 100 through it to test function.

I'd also like to not that this is purely speculation on my part and I have nothing but the beer in my hand to back me up on it... and that will be gone soon.

Five rounds I wouldn't worry about. But I'd consider shooting a few of them at the end of each range session of regular 9mms so you are familiar with them for carry. If you really want to continually shoot something like a 125gr JHP at 1350-1375fps, get a Sig in .357Sig which is built for those operating pressures. I try to practice with what I will use for carry in regards to std, +p, or +p+. I do carry 9mm or .38sp chambered guns at times so make sure I run some carry ammo through them when practicing. My main carry is in .357Sig (Glock 32) which is all the same (no different pressure loadings).

Links