Defensive Carry banner

40 s&w ammo for glock 27

20K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  skysoldier29 
#1 ·
Hi,
I wanted to pose this question to the people who carry short barrel autos like the g27. I was wondering what ammo you would carry ( or do carry) for self defense and why. I sometimes wonder if the 180gr loadings are to " slow" for reliable expansion or not. I currently carry corbon 135 JHP's & its been a few years since I looked into the ballistics of the self defense ammo for the 40s&w, that's why I was hoping for some insight from everyone without starting from scratch and having to try 10 different kinds of ammo all over again.
Thoughts are appreciated
G

#2 ·
I like the heavier bullets and carry Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot 180 gr in my G27. Todays ammunition is not speed dependant for expansion so I wouldnt worry about that. When I researched the different ammunition I found both the HST and GD to be very consistent in performance, with excellent penetration and expansion. This does not mean that there are not other good rounds available, any of the major manufacturers make some pretty good ammunition, Winchester PDX1, Remington Golden Sabre are some good examples. I just prefer the Federal and Speer in all calibers. There is a guy on you tube Tnoutdoors9 that does ammunition testing, he has some good videos for all the different calibers and bullet weights, this might help answer some of your questions.

#8 ·
I carry 2 g27's as bugs,in all mine I split the difference,165 Ranger T's,also i've carried 165 Gold Dots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.