40 s&w ammo for glock 27

This is a discussion on 40 s&w ammo for glock 27 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I wanted to pose this question to the people who carry short barrel autos like the g27. I was wondering what ammo you would ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By barstoolguru

Thread: 40 s&w ammo for glock 27

40 s&w ammo for glock 27

Hi,
    I wanted to pose this question to the people who carry short barrel autos like the g27. I was wondering what ammo you would carry ( or do carry) for self defense and why. I sometimes wonder if the 180gr loadings are to " slow" for reliable expansion or not. I currently carry corbon 135 JHP's & its been a few years since I looked into the ballistics of the self defense ammo for the 40s&w, that's why I was hoping for some insight from everyone without starting from scratch and having to try 10 different kinds of ammo all over again.
    Thoughts are appreciated
    G

2. Remove Ads

I like the heavier bullets and carry Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot 180 gr in my G27. Todays ammunition is not speed dependant for expansion so I wouldnt worry about that. When I researched the different ammunition I found both the HST and GD to be very consistent in performance, with excellent penetration and expansion. This does not mean that there are not other good rounds available, any of the major manufacturers make some pretty good ammunition, Winchester PDX1, Remington Golden Sabre are some good examples. I just prefer the Federal and Speer in all calibers. There is a guy on you tube Tnoutdoors9 that does ammunition testing, he has some good videos for all the different calibers and bullet weights, this might help answer some of your questions.

the best bullets in the world are only as good as the shooter
    afojc likes this.

barstool you are 100% correct and it doesnt matter if its a 9mm, 40 or 45. I was just trying to give greg my opinion on the ammunition based on his question.

Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Federal 180gr. HSTs in mine!
    LEOSA Qualified: Semi-auto and revolver.

I carry Hornady critical defense right now, I would like to check out Hydro shocks or even FPDs

I carry 2 g27's as bugs,in all mine I split the difference,165 Ranger T's,also i've carried 165 Gold Dots.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I use Gold Dots primarly load for my .40 cals. I talked to a surgical nurse the other day who said he saw some great results from a Hornady Critical Defense 40 cal rounds. Said it was some awesome damage that he has not seen before in a .40 cal

Links