is it the ammo or the shooter?

This is a discussion on is it the ammo or the shooter? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; NEWBIE QUESTION: i regularly practice with winchester white box 9mm 115gr rounds (yea -- the 100 round box is the ONLY thing i buy from ...

Thread: is it the ammo or the shooter?

NEWBIE QUESTION:

i regularly practice with winchester white box 9mm 115gr rounds (yea -- the 100 round box is the ONLY thing i buy from wal-mart). most days, i can shoot these very consistently at the range.

i've been trying to shoot my self defense rounds to get a feel for them and with both, i consistently shoot to the left (9-o'clock) of center. i've tried federal hydrashock and magsafe rounds with the same result.

someone at the range suggested that shooting expensive rounds (especially the magsafe!) is taking a psychological toll and that maybe i'm getting nervous or otherwise changing how i shoot without knowing.

does this happen or are can the ballistic characteristics of the rounds be THAT different?

-ayan

How far to the left and at what range?

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    IMHO, you get what you pay for - but its possible that the ammo will change firing characteristics. I'm not an ammo expert, just my guess.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk6 View Post
    How far to the left and at what range?
    at 7 yards, they (hydrashocks and magsafes) shoot about 4-5 inches to the left of my group left by the WWB. this is pretty big IMHO.

-ayan

Quote Originally Posted by ayan
    at 7 yards, they (hydrashocks and magsafes) shoot about 4-5 inches to the left of my group left by the WWB.
    I think its a safe assumption that it is the shooter. It is not uncommon for the point of impact of rounds of different design, weight or manufacture to vary, but the variance is usually limited to a few inches at 25 yards.

Just out of curiousity, what brand/model of firearm are you using and what type of sights does it have?

4 to 5 inches probably means one thing: Operator Error

Have someone else load two magazines with different ammo. One with the WWB and the other with whatever floats your boat. Let them hand you the loaded gun without you knowing which ammo is in use and see how you do. It's kinda like a Jedi mind trick but without the cool cape.
    Last edited by JeffP; August 23rd, 2006 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffP View Post
    4 to 5 inches probably means one thing: Operator Error

Have someone else load two magazines with different ammo. One with the WWB and the other with whatever floats your boat. Let them hand you the loaded gun without you knowing which ammo is in use and see how you do. It's kinda like a Jedi mind trick but without the cool cape.
    haha! i'll give this a try!

i'm using an H&K USPc 9mm with the stock sights. i'd bet i'm psyching myself out.

Administrator
    Ditto:
    There is no ammo that will hit that radically to the left at only 21 feet.

Try having somebody mix up the ammo in your magazines. Shoot a few mixed ammo magazines & you'll have your answer.

You'll lick that problem in no time.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ayan View Post
    i'm using an H&K USPc 9mm with the stock sights. i'd bet i'm psyching myself out.
    Decent ammo in a decent gun should yield decent results. Sorry to say, I think it is you.

Have someone else load two magazines with different ammo. One with the WWB and the other with whatever floats your boat. Let them hand you the loaded gun without you knowing which ammo is in use and see how you do.
    If you do not have another person, you can load your magazines with a mixture of ball and JHP.

Lead Moderator
    Also some dryfire drills might help ID what you are doing. Try having someone else load (or not and hand you the gun. Loaded mag sometimes empty chamber. ) Watch the sights after the shot. where are the sights pointed?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by ayan View Post
    does this happen or are can the ballistic characteristics of the rounds be THAT different?
    Yes, it can and does happen. Whether or not this is the cause in your particular case is impossible to say off-hand. The only way to be absolutely sure is to get something like a Ransom Rest and test the different ammo.

let someone else shoot it and if it is the same maybe it ain't you. Try different weight bullets, most bullets regardless of the design should shoot reasonably the same at 21'. A friend bought a glock .40 and 4 of us tried it and no one could get the thing to group, what it turned out to be was it did not shoot 165 gr worth a bucket of broken hammers but would shoot 155 gr. I had the same problem with my sig. it will not shoot 115 grs. to save a buttocks, but will stack one on top of anther with 147 grs.

Sponsored Links