First time shooting my Glock 26 Gen4, maybe Federal is too much for the Baby?

This is a discussion on First time shooting my Glock 26 Gen4, maybe Federal is too much for the Baby? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AZ Hawk First, you don't need to "break in" a Glock. Glocks are ready to go right out of the box, but ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: First time shooting my Glock 26 Gen4, maybe Federal is too much for the Baby?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post

First, you don't need to "break in" a Glock. Glocks are ready to go right out of the box, but I always recommend shooting 500 failure free rounds before carrying.
    Correct

Second, double feeds are caused by magazine issues 99.9% of the time.

But also caused by gun malfunctions of which the Glock Gen4 has had plenty over the past year, especially the 9mm models. Glocks 5 or 6 redesigns of the RSA shows they know something is wrong, plus their redesign of their ejector, all to fix FTE, stove piping, double feeds.

All these problems coincided with the redesign and change in manufacturing process of their EXTRACTOR. They now use MIM, instead of being machined. Even Glock admitted they had a "bad batch", but they won't say how big that batch was. A year's worth?

In this case, the Glock failure is probably NOT a magazine.

Third, the failures to feed in the G26 could be caused by underpowered ammunition since the Gen 4's use a .40 S&W strength dual recoil spring.
    WRONG. Any ammo loaded to SAAMI specs is NOT underpowered. Any 9mm gun that cannot reliably fire SAMMI spec ammo has a design problem. It's the gun's fault, not the ammo. Don't blame factory SAMMI-spec ammo for Glock design failures. See point above.

I've owned a lot of Glocks, and for the last twenty years I've only owned Glocks as I have no need for any other pistol once I found and fired a Glock. I now own a Gen3 Glock 19 and Gen4 Glock 26. But with the Gen4 9mm, Glock messed up by not testing it enough before releasing it. You can do a Google search for "Glock gen4 ejector", "glock gen4 extractor", "Glock gen4 RSA" and see all the problems.

It is true that more powerful ammo will FLING the case out most of the time, probably denting the case and hitting you in the face -- but that's using force to overcome the design issues. Glock should fix the problem, and Glock fanbois should not blame the ammo. It's NOT weak ammo, if it's SAMMI spec.

Glock says the RSA shouldn't affect the Glock 26, but that still leaves the ejector (it's a different design). Make sure you have the new design, and if you still have failures send it back to Glock to replace the extractor (may be one of the "bad batch:)

2. Remove Ads

Smile my G17 gen4

i just took my new 17 g4 to the range yesterday. put 200rnds of Remington UMC 115gr fmj and about 30rnds of black hills 124gr +p through it. strait from the store to the range. black hills shot much better groups for me.. anyway.
    i had no malfunctions until about the 135th round. i am new to glock so i will just describe what happened and then i can get educated.

my malfunction rem UMC ammo(WallyWorld): failed to eject empty round caught between slide and barrel. when i pulled the mag a loose round feel out of the mag well. after clearing malfunction no problems with remaining 95 rounds??

My Khar cw9 has had zero malfunctions with 500+ of this ammo and various cheap brands. if i can figure out what happened: Me ammo or gun. i was thinking of trading my khar for a g26. I sure like the way the g17 fits and feels.. I may not have seated the rounds in the mag properly

thanks

glad i found this forum

Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    WRONG. Any ammo loaded to SAAMI specs is NOT underpowered. Any 9mm gun that cannot reliably fire SAMMI spec ammo has a design problem. It's the gun's fault, not the ammo. Don't blame factory SAMMI-spec ammo for Glock design failures. See point above.
    Well, maybe you can explain my chrono data which had Federal Champion velocity at 100 fps less on average than it's advertised velocity out of a 4" barrel a couple years ago? Just because it's supposed to be SAAMI spec doesn't mean it actually is.

It could have been a bad lot of ammo, it could have been stored in a high humidity environment, etc., etc. And, he DID document failures in more than one gun, I might add.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Hickock45 had 2 failures in 500 (approx.) on a test he did with the 115 grain bullets in a Model 19 Gen 4. He attributed 1 to the very low power of the Federal 115 grain rounds. This was a brand new gun to start. Glock 19 Gen 4 ( Chapter 2 ) - YouTube

Wouldn't keep me from purchasing (lusting) after a G19 or G26.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    yup a glock will jam straight out of the box, you don't even need to break it in to get it to jam. Can't be the gun had to be the ammo,, or shooter or the range or the car you drove to the range or the........ What ever it was it was not the gun. Repeat afterr me it was not the gun!!!!!

This one has fired 1925 rounds of assorted ammo without a hiccup.I trust it with my life everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    yup a glock will jam straight out of the box, you don't even need to break it in to get it to jam. Can't be the gun had to be the ammo,, or shooter or the range or the car you drove to the range or the........ What ever it was it was not the gun. Repeat afterr me it was not the gun!!!!!
    /facepalm
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

So those of you that have no problems… what ammo do you use for range ammo?
    God made man……Sam Colt made them equal.

Beretta PX4 Carrier
    Fourth Gen Glock 26 Carrier

I stopped using the Wall Mart Federal and now use American Eagle. Have had much better performance and it works well in my Nano as well.

The only FTE I have had with my G 26 was while firing Federal American Eagle 115g ammo at round# 554. I have over 2500 rounds through mine since then, with all different kinds of ammo (including Federal Champion and American Eagle) without any problems. I am currently shooting Aguila 124g at the range and using Federal HST 147g +p for carry. I figure that a weak round must have made it through the system and wound up in my gun, who knows.

my steyr has problems with the federal 9mm ammo from wally world, others have reported that the ammo is underpowered

I just poseted on another thread about same topic on this site -
    fisrt time glock owner G26 gen4, shooting Federal Champion 115 FMJ. Shot about 400 rounds and seeing about 2% FTE. Got some more stout ammo on the way.....we'll see what happens Unknow yet if gun or ammo or me problem.

Quote Originally Posted by logan.hanes View Post
    So those of you that have no problems… what ammo do you use for range ammo?
    WalMart Federal 115
    Winchester Bulk Pack 115
    Remington bulk pack 115
    Sellier and Bellot 124-my Sports Authority outlet has it for $11.50 per box of 50

Never have had a jam of any type with anything. The S & B is the most accurate.

@ 3000 rounds and counting

OMG......you had problems because thats some of the worst ammo you can buy....no way is it too hot, its the weakest stuff on the shelves. Also, there were no internal changes with the 26 went Gen4. I chalk it up to bad ammo, and someone not used to holding that 2 finger glock frame. Its a great gun.

Hey guys, I have shot twice since posting this tread… First time I used Remington NATO 124 Grain and some American Eagle and didn't have a single problem out of the 300 rounds i shot. So what did I take away from this?… don't buy Federal from Wally World.
    God made man……Sam Colt made them equal.

Beretta PX4 Carrier
    Fourth Gen Glock 26 Carrier

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links