First time shooting my Glock 26 Gen4, maybe Federal is too much for the Baby?

First time shooting my Glock 26 Gen4, maybe Federal is too much for the Baby?

This is a discussion on First time shooting my Glock 26 Gen4, maybe Federal is too much for the Baby? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I went to the range tonight. I took my Beretta PX4 Storm Compact (fairly new… maybe 1000 round through it) and my brand new ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: First time shooting my Glock 26 Gen4, maybe Federal is too much for the Baby?

Unhappy First time shooting my Glock 26 Gen4, maybe Federal is too much for the Baby?

So I went to the range tonight. I took my Beretta PX4 Storm Compact (fairly new… maybe 1000 round through it) and my brand new Glock 26 Gen4 (first time shooting it), both were 9mm. To shoot, I took some cheap Federal Luger ammo that I got at Wally World. This was the first time using this brand of ammo as I usually use some cheap Remington NATO ammo or some PMC Range ammo. The Beretta definitely did not like this Federal ammo, and the Glock (yes, the Glock) didn't like it either. Splitting 200 rounds between the two, I had 2 failure to feeds in the Glock and 5 or 6 in the Beretta as well as one double feed. I told the guy at the Range counter about it and he said that he thought that that was a little to heavy of ammo for such new guns. I'm pretty sure it was the ammo and not the gun, as I shot the Beretta earlier this week without any problems with some Remington NATO. I did clean the gun really good after shooting it earlier in the week and being as BOTH weapons had problems… I think it's the ammo. What do you guys think? What ammo would you recommend to break these bad boys in?
    God made man……Sam Colt made them equal.

Beretta PX4 Carrier
    Fourth Gen Glock 26 Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by logan.hanes View Post
    So I went to the range tonight. I took my Beretta PX4 Storm Compact (fairly new… maybe 1000 round through it) and my brand new Glock 26 Gen4 (first time shooting it), both were 9mm. To shoot, I took some cheap Federal Luger ammo that I got at Wally World. This was the first time using this brand of ammo as I usually use some cheap Remington NATO ammo or some PMC Range ammo. The Beretta definitely did not like this Federal ammo, and the Glock (yes, the Glock) didn't like it either. Splitting 200 rounds between the two, I had 2 failure to feeds in the Glock and 5 or 6 in the Beretta as well as one double feed. I told the guy at the Range counter about it and he said that he thought that that was a little to heavy of ammo for such new guns. I'm pretty sure it was the ammo and not the gun, as I shot the Beretta earlier this week without any problems with some Remington NATO. I did clean the gun really good after shooting it earlier in the week and being as BOTH weapons had problems… I think it's the ammo. What do you guys think? What ammo would you recommend to break these bad boys in?
    I can't speak for the Beretta, but I do own multiple Glocks, so I can speak for those!

First, you don't need to "break in" a Glock. Glocks are ready to go right out of the box, but I always recommend shooting 500 failure free rounds before carrying.

Second, double feeds are caused by magazine issues 99.9% of the time.

Third, the failures to feed in the G26 could be caused by underpowered ammunition since the Gen 4's use a .40 S&W strength dual recoil spring.

Fourth, I shoot either Winchester 124 gr. NATO or Aguila 124 gr. 99% of the time with some Speer Lawman thrown in as well out my G19's (Gen 3), so I would recommend those.

Hope that helps.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    I can't speak for the Beretta, but I do own multiple Glocks, so I can speak for those!

First, you don't need to "break in" a Glock. Glocks are ready to go right out of the box, but I always recommend shooting 500 failure free rounds before carrying.

The ammo I used was actually overpowered compared to the stuff I have usually shot at the range. Ill try that 124 NATO. THANKS!

Third, the failures to feed in the G26 could be caused by underpowered ammunition since the Gen 4's use a .40 S&W strength dual recoil spring.

Fourth, I shoot either Winchester 124 gr. NATO or Aguila 124 gr. 99% of the time with some Speer Lawman thrown in as well out my G19's (Gen 3), so I would recommend those.

Hope that helps.

The ammo I used was actually overpowered compared to what I had been shooting at the range. I'll try the 124 NATO. THANKS!

Beretta PX4 Carrier

While I am not a big Glock fan, I really can't see much reason to talk against them. I find it difficult to believe that any ball ammo is loaded too stout for a Glock. While I am certainly no authority on Glocks, I wonder if you may be a new Gen 4 victim. Or maybe the Gen 4 troubles do not plague the 26 series. Others much more fluent in Glockese should be along shortly. Meantime, try some WWB.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    While I am not a big Glock fan, I really can't see much reason to talk against them. I find it difficult to believe that any ball ammo is loaded too stout for a Glock. While I am certainly no authority on Glocks, I wonder if you may be a new Gen 4 victim. Or maybe the Gen 4 troubles do not plague the 26 series. Others much more fluent in Glockese should be along shortly. Meantime, try some WWB.
    I will try that. Some help from some Glockese would be great!

Beretta PX4 Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post

Hope that helps.
    First time...Glock......ammo...expectancies, magazines, etc. Lot needs to be said here. Glock pistols may not need any break-in period, but magazines, and users may...depending. My Glocks have always digested any quality ammo without a hitch. My Glocks have always done well with any ammo depending on the day, the humidity, and ME. I always add the 'me' factor and the ammo factor to my worst day at the range. I use what works best when I want to do best in competition. Many will never find what they expect out of Glock without putting in enough time. If I've offended anyone with my opinions, please flag this post now. I've been doing Glock for a very long time, but I'm still new on people and their feelings. Thanks for understanding.

Sounds like you have a bad case of "need to sell and buy m&p " syndrome! Lol
    sgb, hogdaddy and smolck like this.

Has anyone heard of this problem with the Glock 26's?

Beretta PX4 Carrier

The ammo I used was actually overpowered compared to what I had been shooting at the range. I'll try the 124 NATO. THANKS!
    What had you been shooting at the range? The Federal Champion ammo that Wally World sells is almost always underpowered compared to other 115 gr. FMJ. I don't even consider buying it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    The G26 had no issues with the switch to Gen 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Sounds like you have a bad case of "need to sell and buy m&p " syndrome! Lol
    Errr... what?

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I didn't mention this before as I don't know your experience level, but if you are a newer shooter and/or haven't had proper training, poor grip and limp wristing can supposedly cause malfunctions, although I've tried numerous times to cause a malfunction by using a poor grip and limp wristing with my Glocks, and I've never been able to do so.

I have the Gen 4 G26 (among other pistols), the Wally World 115 gr Federal FMJ is my normal range round for most of my 9mm's. I have about 2500 rounds through my G26 of which 80% is the Federal FMJ-not a single feed or eject issue including me trying to induce one by limp wristing.

I had problems with that same ammo in my Nano. Every thing else I ran through that day was fine.

Although it sounds terrible, most hiccups with Glocks are attributable to what's called 'limp-wristing.'

Very common and no comments on your machismo or manliness.

I needed to get stronger, get a firmer grip (especially with my supporting hand), and all is peachy now.
    Gen 1 G17, Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G26, 870P, MkIII 678, 10/22 Carbine

VIP Member
    Another issue the baby Glocks sometimes have is really a user error, and that is short seating the magazine. If the magazine is not fully seated and locked in, it will cause a double feed on the 2nd or 3rd round.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I agree with the statements by AZ Hawk about ammo and limp wristing. Federal Champion 115gr is by and far the most inconsistent an under powered 9mm target ammo available.

I too have attempted to replicate a limp wrist malfunction with my G19, and as of yet have failed to do so. I'm sure limp wristing doesn't help a Glocks function, it's just that I have yet to personally ever see a Glock malfunction due to someone clearly limp wristing. It seems like more of a scapegoat.
    zippster223 likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links