Is the .357 Sig slowly dying? - Page 3

Is the .357 Sig slowly dying?

This is a discussion on Is the .357 Sig slowly dying? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OldVet Just about anything will penetrate aircraft skin, but contrary what the movies show, it just punches a hole and air leaks ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Is the .357 Sig slowly dying?

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Just about anything will penetrate aircraft skin, but contrary what the movies show, it just punches a hole and air leaks out. No one get sucked out thru a bullet hole. The actual pressure differential is quite small.
    From what I understand, the Air Marshals uses fragment ammo at break apart before it leaves the aircraft. But like I said, I was told this via other non Air Marshal LEOs. However, a small hole could be a big problem when you are in the air....
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    From what I understand, the Air Marshals uses fragment ammo at break apart before it leaves the aircraft. But like I said, I was told this via other non Air Marshal LEOs.
    False.

The Air Marshalls are issued the 125 gr. Speer Gold Dot "LP" (Limited Penetration) round.

However, a small hole could be a big problem when you are in the air....
    This is also false.

Mythbusters "busted" this myth back in 2004. Annotated Mythbusters: Episode 10: Explosive Decompression, Frog Giggin', Rear Axle
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Sorry The 357 Sig IMO was never anything but a novelty gun I had forgot about it until you posted that.
    Novelty Guns will stick around as long as people with money buy them.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on the basis that the .357 SIG is issued to the people who protect the President (Secret Service), as well as 20-30 or so LE agencies.

A couple much better examples of so-called "novelty rounds" are the .25 NAA and the .300 Blackout.

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post

This is also false.

Mythbusters "busted" this myth back in 2004. Annotated Mythbusters: Episode 10: Explosive Decompression, Frog Giggin', Rear Axle
    The link provided (if I read it right) only shows that the bullet alone doesn't do anything to the person. However, it did not test if the hole will grow larger over time. I do not believe that bullet hole, when hitting the aircraft, would make a hole any bigger then if I shot a bullet through a car door. But I do believe that due to extra stress, it will grow over time.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

The link provided (if I read it right) only shows that the bullet alone doesn't do anything to the person. However, it did not test if the hole will grow larger over time. I do not believe that bullet hole, when hitting the aircraft, would make a hole any bigger then if I shot a bullet through a car door. But I do believe that due to extra stress, it will grow over time.
    And do you have any evidence to support your claim?

For example, the hole in the roof of the Southwest jet back in April didn't "grow."

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I have done some .357 research and been contemplating buying a gun with that caliber but ammo is a deterient....
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

And do you have any evidence to support your claim?

For example, the hole in the roof of the Southwest jet back in April didn't "grow."
    The hole in the roof was the result of a crack in the skin. So in fact, it did grow to the hole.

The hole in the roof was the result of a crack in the skin. So in fact, it did grow to the hole.
    It was a defective part that ripped open due to the speed the plane was traveling at, hardly the same as a tiny hole caused by a bullet.

It was a defective part that ripped open due to the speed the plane was traveling at, hardly the same as a tiny hole caused by a bullet.
    Both produce undue stress in the skin of the craft. That stress is even worst when you are flying in the air at 500+ MPH

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Ok, in both episode 10, and episode 38 mythbusters busted the myth that a bullet hole will cause explosive decompression.

"The pressure is not high enough and the hole is too small. Explosive decompression only occurred when a hole the size of a window was made with explosives. Even then, the rush of air could not suck Buster completely out of the hole. Lastly, there are proven instances of explosive decompression where the plane was still able to maintain control and land." -mythbusterresults.com

I bet all the Air Marshalls watched that mythbusters episode and were a little bit happier afterwords.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    Ok, in both episode 10, and episode 38 mythbusters busted the myth that a bullet hole will cause explosive decompression.

"The pressure is not high enough and the hole is too small. Explosive decompression only occurred when a hole the size of a window was made with explosives. Even then, the rush of air could not suck Buster completely out of the hole. Lastly, there are proven instances of explosive decompression where the plane was still able to maintain control and land." -mythbusterresults.com

I bet all the Air Marshalls watched that mythbusters episode and were a little bit happier afterwords.
    Well there you have it.

I have seen that the .357 sig is cheaper in areas hat have LE agencies that use that caliber. I am currently in NC and i can go to either one of he 2 walmarts i have in the area and purchase .357 sig ammo, albeit more expensive. It is available i believe because the NC highway patrol carries it. Same as i have noticed in pa, goes for the .45 gap. PA state police carry that and it is readily available at many stores.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Sorry The 357 Sig IMO was never anything but a novelty gun

you can't get these at the novelty store. BTW, I don't consider the .357 SIG to be a .357 anything...but rather a 9mm Magnum which is what it really is.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

So, HK has dropped it. Glock won't, SIG won't, S&W probably won't, and beyond that it really doesn't matter. The vast majority of American LEA's use Glock, S&W and Sig; HK really isn't all that popular.
    I've read S&W doesn't chamber their M&P in it anymore and I think that was the only platform they did use it in sooo 2 out of 4 ain't bad?

I have a spare 357Sig barrel for my M&P40. 40's cheaper and a little less snappy. For the slight differences in the rounds...I'm personally happy with .40. If 357Sig was the first one to the table, this thread would probably be about the .40

My brother has a Sig in 357 Sig and I gave him a barrel for 40S&W last Christmas, guess what he shoots in it now, 40S&W cause he can buy it and the range has it reloaded for cheap. They are always out of 357SIG!!!!
    ItalianSteel likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links