Is the .357 Sig slowly dying?

This is a discussion on Is the .357 Sig slowly dying? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To the OP: considering the amount of threads in the last week or so that pertain to the 357 SIG, I would say no, it ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Is the .357 Sig slowly dying?

To the OP: considering the amount of threads in the last week or so that pertain to the 357 SIG, I would say no, it isn't dying. It'll never reign like the 9, 40, 45, or the popular revolver cartridges, but I believe it will sort of hang around.
    glockman10mm likes this.

2. Remove Ads

@ Markush

M&P357  .357Auto - Smith & Wesson

Its still in their line up. Talked to a S&W rep today and it is NOT going anywhere anytime soon from what he told me.
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by chalk316 View Post
    @ Markush

M&P357 *.357Auto - Smith & Wesson

Its still in their line up. Talked to a S&W rep today and it is NOT going anywhere anytime soon from what he told me.
    Agreed... And as long as they still have a demand from law enforcement it will not dissappear.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alien319 View Post
    I have seen that the .357 sig is cheaper in areas hat have LE agencies that use that caliber. I am currently in NC and i can go to either one of he 2 walmarts i have in the area and purchase .357 sig ammo, albeit more expensive. It is available i believe because the NC highway patrol carries it. Same as i have noticed in pa, goes for the .45 gap. PA state police carry that and it is readily available at many stores.

I agree totally, the local walmarts in my area normally have a box or two of 357Sig on a regular basis although it is FMJ you can still find some very good quality JHP ammunition online from very reputable ammo companies i.e. Federal,Speer,Cor-Bon,Winchester etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 View Post
    I agree totally, the local walmarts in my area normally have a box or two of 357Sig on a regular basis although it is FMJ you can still find some very good quality JHP ammunition online from very reputable ammo companies i.e. Federal,Speer,Cor-Bon,Winchester etc.
    They dont usually have the PDX-1, but they usually have fmj or jhp in win white box and such.

I kind of doubt if the .357Sig will ever be extinct (unavailable) as the cases are derived from the .40SW and the bullets of .357 diameter. All existent machinery/stuff for major manufacturers to make runs from. I kind of think the 10mm would go before the .357Sig.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jasgo View Post
    I kind of doubt if the .357Sig will ever be extinct (unavailable) as the cases are derived from the .40SW and the bullets of .357 diameter. All existent machinery/stuff for major manufacturers to make runs from. I kind of think the 10mm would go before the .357Sig.
    Just a brass case in point, the 10mm is the parent cartridge to both the 10mm Kurz, aka 40 S & W, as well as the .357 Sig. And as long as Ted Nugent keeps singing the praises of the 10mm, he alone will keep the 10mm in business! Additionally, I've got two sources of brass I can neck down for my .357 Sig. should it come to that.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Just a short note, I've heard a lot about folks shooting more accurately with the 357Sig pistols, vs the same pistols in .40S&W. I finally tested my own G35 recently, with the stock 40 barrel & a Barsto 357Sig barrel.

When I did my part, the 357Sig easily shot groups half the size I get with the stock 40. Recoil was more 'straight back" with the Sig round and overall just easier to deal with. Ammo was Gold Dot 180 JHP, and WWB 125 JHP & AE 125 ball.

FWIW.
    sensei2 likes this.

.357 Sig isn't going anywhere. Texas DPS (Highway Patrol) uses it, as do several other State Police and Highway Patrols, as well as the Secret Service and U.S. Air Marshals. It can be readily found at Walmart, Academy, and every LGS I've ever been to in El Paso. It will never be the prettiest girl at the dance, but it sure won't be the ugliest either.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I did my part and bought one plus a BBL for my G27...... Now I have 2..... A 125 Grain JHP at 1450 FPS.... Whats not to love....

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I think others have stated that the FAMs use the .357 SIG so they can shoot through the seats in aircraft.

S&W still offers the .357 SIg for LE orders, and there are plenty of used Smith .357 SIGs on the market if you really
    need to step up to the plate.

The M&P 357 compact is a real sweet shooter. Others who own the M&P357 full sized gun like them as well.

Glock .357s are cool as well.

www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

My brother has a Sig in 357 Sig and I gave him a barrel for 40S&W last Christmas, guess what he shoots in it now, 40S&W cause he can buy it and the range has it reloaded for cheap. They are always out of 357SIG!!!!
    I have to say my experience is exactly the opposite. I bought a Glock 35 years ago hoping to shoot IDPA. Not longer after it came, I sent the slide off to Jarvis to have one of his custom barrels fitted. He recommended I buy some G31 mags although G22 ones work. (The follower is different. Generally the .40 works but the .357 is better for the case if possible.) Once I started shooting the G35 with the .357 SIG barrel... the .40 barrel was done. I keep that stock factory barrel in the case with the gun "just in case" but it has been years since it was actually put in the gun. The longer barrel and sight radius of the G35 is perfect for the faster cartridge.

I've never really understood people who base their choices on what factory ammo they can buy. Since I never, ever buy factory ammo. The majority of my guns have never seen so much as one round of it in their entire lives. I don't really see how somebody can become an accomplished shooter without reloading. The cost is too high. (Well, some people do have a lot of money. But I've never been able to enjoy myself wasting it.)

The cartridge is slower to reload and has some quirks. It isn't a cartridge I would call flexible. I load FMJ rounds for practice. JHP's for vermin and general use. I do CCW an HK P2000 LEM every day. That's the one use where I actually buy factory ammo... but only for actual carry. I use the Air Marshal duty rounds I get from an AM friend. Speer 125 grain Gold Dots. I don't see anything about "Limited Penetration" anywhere on the boxes. You push a 125 grain Gold Dot to 1400 fps... you are going to penetrate thin aluminum no matter what you do!

One of the things that balances out the .357 SIG on the reloading side is the very cheap cost of once fired cases. Sure, the bottleneck means multiple operations. I do it in stages. With .40 and .357 dies. So that is a negative. But I can buy bulk once fired cases online for really low prices. People pick it up at LEO ranges. Since not many people reload it... the price is always _much_ lower than similar quality .45 ACP cases. Actually I just bought a set of lightly used Dillon carbide dies for .357 SIG. I haven't tried them yet but for $70 shipped, I couldn't resist buying them! I have thousands and thousands and thousands of once fired cases stashed away.

I know others have already mentioned this but it bears repeating in a thread asking the "going away" question. A cartridge that is based on some obscure case size is a problem if it somehow does go out of production. In a rifle that you only shoot a few times a year, you can probably buy 100 cases and reload for it forever. But in a handgun, if there are no cases available, that can be a problem. But since you could buy .40 S&W cases and neck them down... not an issue in this case. I don't expect the cartridge to disappear from the gun case or the holsters of various LEO's. But even if it did... it wouldn't affect me.

Oh, one other fun use... in a carbine. I paid Ron Williams to create a DI AR for me that fires .357 SIG. We used a LW lower that uses Glock mags. So I can use the same mags I have for my G35. We went with a 9" barrel and built it as a pistol. My idea is to do the SBR paperwork one of these days. It is a sweet little AR. Very accurate, higher velocity, less muzzle blast, 100% reliable, little recoil. A favorite around here.

Gregg
    onacoma likes this.

Did it really ever have a life much more than another novelty gun ? Not that it was a bad idea 357 is a darn good round

I have heard that the Sig P226 in .40 comes with a .357 SIG barrel (maybe it's an added option?). Either way you could get a barrel and have the best of both worlds (even get 9mm too). That's what I plan to do anyways. Similar can be done with the G32 as well.

Key element of the .357 SIG round is penetration through windshield/sheet metal. We may not need to worry about it as much as LEOs but it's still something to consider (possible carjack/cover situation).

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    I had heard that necking down .40 to make .357 sig was a bad idea. I just dont remember why. I've thought of getting a .357 sig bareel for my 229 but hadnt decided yet. But this is a great resurrection of an old old thread.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links