New h&k USp 9mm... +p and+ p+ rounds ok?

This is a discussion on New h&k USp 9mm... +p and+ p+ rounds ok? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I just got my first carry gun. Always been a shotgun fan. The law of ca-chook did tame the west after all. I digress. ...

Thread: New h&k USp 9mm... +p and+ p+ rounds ok?

New h&k USp 9mm... +p and+ p+ rounds ok?

So I just got my first carry gun. Always been a shotgun fan. The law of ca-chook did tame the west after all. I digress.

It's an h&k USP 9mm stainless...

Having little experience with handguns, I want to ask upon the breath of knowledge on this forum.

Can this gun handle +p and +p+ loads? I mean it is German and Germans build GOOD stuff!

Follow up guesstion: what is the best or shall I say cheapest training / target round options?

2. Remove Ads

both the +P and +P+ will work in the HK USP BUT.. The manual does say that +P and +P+ will accelerate the wear and reduce service life. So the way most of us go is we use +P very limited at the range maybe 5 or so rounds
    but most are fine with daily carry
    for more info on the +P+ load you might want to ask over at hkpro.com

Good luck and enjoy you have a great gun there
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

1shooter, I also have a USPf 9mm. They say HK is the only manufacturer who specifically says their guns are +p+ capable. I have not read every manufacturer's warranty, but my HK warranty, unlike my S&W or Kahr warranty does specifically note that +p+ is ok, but as Craiger notes above, either +p or +p+ will accelerate wear.

I probably have about 3000 rounds through my USP, with no discernable wear. Every couple of times I go to the range I shoot a mag of Winchester Ranger 127 gr +p+ since it is my preferred SD round for that gun. All the rest of my practice is with whatever 9mm FMJ is available. When it is available, I prefer Winchester White Box from Walmart, but the HK will gobble up anything including the less expensive Wolf/Tula Russian steel cased ammo that I sometimes buy online.

Recommend you read this link regarding defensive ammo:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
    both the +P and +P+ will work in the HK USP BUT.. The manual does say that +P and +P+ will accelerate the wear and reduce service life. So the way most of us go is we use +P very limited at the range maybe 5 or so rounds
    but most are fine with daily carry
    for more info on the +P+ load you might want to ask over at hkpro.com

Good luck and enjoy you have a great gun there
    That's really, really, really, really, really.... conservative. Well made modern firearms can handle thousands of +P rounds. I've put at least 5,000 rounds of +P and NATO pressure ammo through my EDC Glock 19 with zero signs of accelerated wear. In fact, the gun still looks brand new with a full clean.

I wouldn't, however, make a habit of shooting lots of +P+ rounds.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Bear in mind that these pistols are designed to shoot the European CIP-spec ammo that runs hotter than most of SAMMI's +P loads...as well as CIP spec 9mm NATO that runs hotter than +P+.

In short, it'll handle it just fine.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Bear in mind that these pistols are designed to shoot the European CIP-spec ammo that runs hotter than most of SAMMI's +P loads...as well as CIP spec 9mm NATO that runs hotter than +P+.

In short, it'll handle it just fine.
    Hmm, are you sure about the European 9mm NATO having higher pressures than +P+? I've shot tons of 124 gr. NATO ammo manufactured in Europe, and I've never had any round chrono faster than the Winchester 127 gr. +P+.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

AZ Hawk, you are correct, in fact NATO spec ammo is not as hot pressure wise as +P. Here are the actual numbers:

SAAMI max pressure for standard 9mm Luger is 35,000 psi
    NATO spec max pressure for 9mm Luger is 36,550 psi
    SAAMI max pressure for 9mm Luger +P is 38,500 psi
    There is no SAAMI or other standard specification for 9mm Luger +P+, but presumably it's above 38,500 psi

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Use the two types of ammo for SD only and not range ammo. Do that, and you should be fine.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    I know HK tested their P30 9mm for 365 days, 133 range trips, 513 hours, 15 types of ammo (+P+ included) and it only lasted 91,622 rounds!

I sure you won't wear out your USP if you put a couple 1,000 rounds of +P+ through it! Good weapon! Enjoy the great purchase.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Links