magtech guardian golds?

magtech guardian golds?

This is a discussion on magtech guardian golds? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I recently got an XDM45 compact which is a superb weapon. I bought quite a bit of 45 ACP ammo from a friend ...

magtech guardian golds?

Hello all,
    I recently got an XDM45 compact which is a superb weapon. I bought quite a bit of 45 ACP ammo from a friend that used to have a gun store and still had some surplus laying around. among it were a few blister packs of magtech gold 185gr +P hollow points. I have no idea how old it is but all the packs are still air tight and everything still looks like it came straight out of the tumbler and so far I've run 2 of the dozen or so packs through without issue from either of my mags, really snappy but otherwise good. my main question is has anyone used this for self defense ammo and are there better options out there?
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I can't speak to the reliability of the Magtech hollowpoints for defensive carry. With that I do believe that there are some more proven rounds out there that you can get such as Speer Gold Dots, Winchester PDX1, Ranger Ts or Ranger Bonded, Remington Golden Saber regular or bonded, Federal HSTs or Hydra shocks, or the Hornady Critical Defense. If you stick with a good defensive round from any of the big 5 ammo makers Speer, Winchester, Remington, Hornady, or Federal you should do fine. There are others out there that would work fine such as Cor-bon and Buffalo Bore. Just get a box or 2 and try then out in your gun.

Senior Moderator
    One of our members tested the Guardian Gold in .38 Special +P : .38spl+P Magtech Test Marginal but OK.

Personally, I tend to look for loads on DocGKR's tested list: Self Defense and Duty Loads...ballistics info by DocGKR

I use the Federal HST 230 gr standard pressure load in my .45.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I didn't test it myself, but a trusted customer told me he had chronographed some and it was on the slow side.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Links