Quick Question - Which one? 45 acp or 357 mag

This is a discussion on Quick Question - Which one? 45 acp or 357 mag within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm unconcerned about bear attacks for I don't frequent bear habitat but would not give any consideration to spray as an intermediate step in defense ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Quick Question - Which one? 45 acp or 357 mag

I'm unconcerned about bear attacks for I don't frequent bear habitat but would not give any consideration to spray as an intermediate step in defense against a bear. If I've determined that the bear is enough of a threat to require the use of spray then he will be shot instead.
    Honk likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The 45 ought to do the trick, if you're up to it. Cor Bon loads their 45 auto DPX +p, over 450 ft lbs with a copper bullet, and with 7+1 I don't feel undergunned. The hot loaded 45 rivals the 10mm. In MN back country I carry a 20 oz 5 shot ported titanium 41 with Federal 250 grain hard Cast Core bullets. It beats the 10mm, and I'd be lucky to get all 5 shots off. Black bear can hit 35 mph, and zero to 40 yards doesn't take long with four claw drive. If they come at you with head down, the hump is your best target. You have to keep looking up for bear cubs and mountain lions.

In big bear country, I'd rely on a 12 ga slug, my 338WM, or a 440 grain hard cast for my 500.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Friend of mine is in the mountains a lot on weekends hiking and exploring. He carries a Glock 10mm on his hip and a pistol grip shotgun attached to his hiking pack.

Of the two choices though? Thought choice. A .357 is a devastating round but you can't carry as many as a .45 ACP. What about a .357 Sig?

I know I would leave nothing but a rather pasty-brown blur behind me as I vacated the area where someone was shooting a .357 in my direction.
    There fixed it for you
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'd say the .357 with 170 or 180 grain bullets preferably a Speer Deep curl or some sort of cast bullet

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    45 alpha charlie papa

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I know I would leave nothing but a rather pasty-brown blur behind me as I vacated the area where someone was shooting a .357 in my direction.

There fixed it for you
    That too...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I vote for the one with the biggest and most-est boolits Once a bear started charging me, I'm sure I would empty whatever gun I was carrying, have a bowel movement and say a few choice words before I fell over from a heart attack

Seriously though, I grew up, so to speak on .38 & .357, so I've always been a little partial to magnums. However, I do like the "big hole" effect of a 45 + the higher capacity of the Glock.

Never really liked Glocks till I bought one. Now I love'em and carry a Glock everyday.
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Just ordered my KKM 10mm Barrel and 2 magazines for my G21.
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

In bear country a 44 is a necessity----and I have seen a few that made me switch to a 50 as a backup while hunting

Quote Originally Posted by swmft View Post
    In bear country a 44 is a necessity----and I have seen a few that made me switch to a 50 as a backup while hunting
    Well, not really. Black bears are not hard to kill. The question posed by the OP really matters not if they are facing black bears. Both rounds are capable of killing most black bears easily enough. You don't need a lot of rounds to do the job if you can put the rounds where they matter.

For brown bears, I would agree that I would not want anything less than a .44 mag as my sidearm.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Just ordered my KKM 10mm Barrel and 2 magazines for my G21.
    16 rounds of 10mm.....before the 15 round reload. I think you will be happy with your decision, I sure am with mine.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    16 rounds of 10mm.....before the 15 round reload. I think you will be happy with your decision, I sure am with mine.
    +1.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I would have to say .357 as well. The .45 might have more ammo per load, and be the heavier round, but the .357 has more punch behind it. And, if nothing else the 'BANG' would most likely run it off.

I know I would leave nothing but a rather pasty-white blur behind me as I vacated the area where someone was shooting a .357 in my direction.
    Make that pasty white blur with a long brown streak...

I would opt for the 357 as well.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links