Quick Question - Which one? 45 acp or 357 mag

This is a discussion on Quick Question - Which one? 45 acp or 357 mag within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a quick choice.. if you "HAD TO" shoot, after using Bear Spray (and it didn't work) a black bear. Say 500 lb or less. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Quick Question - Which one? 45 acp or 357 mag

Just a quick choice.. if you "HAD TO" shoot, after using Bear Spray (and it didn't work) a black bear. Say 500 lb or less. If you had the choice, while hiking, to carry either a 3" SP101 .357 or a Glock 21 .45ACP, which one would you carry?

Do not want to carry a 44 Mag due to size/weight. In fact lets say you have to carry concealed as well because of where you are hiking. 44 Mag is just so big and heavy, and has such recoil, I think if I even had time to get two shots off, the less recoil, the better. I don't think my 2nd shot with a 44 Mag, "if" I could conceal it and carry while hiking, would hit the mark.

So between a .357 SP101 and a Glock 21 .45ACP, which would you suggest? Like I said, Bear spray would be my first "go to", for black bear 500 lb or less.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I guess that I'd opt for the G21 with ball ammo. More bullets, more chances to hit something.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'd have to go with .45 ACP. That's not even a difficult choice to make.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Too small for bear. Take the lightest option. Once the bear is done with you, only one bullet is required to end your suffering.
    AZ Hawk and Honk like this.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I would pick the Glock 21 and 230 gr. ball; I believe quick follow up shots would be advantageous.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Black bears are relatively easy to kill. However, I would not take the .45 as a trail gun if bears are a concern. The .357 mag is the better round for bear protection.

You have already eliminated the most common trail SD round with the .44 mag, so the next step down choice wise is the .357 mag as well.
    surefire7 and 357and40 like this.

45 acp. Especially when weighed against a 5 shot short barrel gun.

However, it would be just as easy to pack the G20 in 10mm, which in fact is much better than both of them for that particular purpose.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I would have to say .357 as well. The .45 might have more ammo per load, and be the heavier round, but the .357 has more punch behind it. And, if nothing else the 'BANG' would most likely run it off.

I know I would leave nothing but a rather pasty-white blur behind me as I vacated the area where someone was shooting a .357 in my direction.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    the 10mm is a darn good answer but it was not 'one of the above'

cause i hit better and follow up much fast with my 1911, thats the one i would carry.
    with understanding that if my skills were equal with a same weight 357, id carry that.

oh, wait--6 of 357 vs 9 of 45...ok, its the 45 for sure.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    45 acp. Especially when weighed against a 5 shot short barrel gun.

However, it would be just as easy to pack the G20 in 10mm, which in fact is much better than both of them for that particular purpose.
    Thanks Glockman. That is interesting since the G20 is the same size from what I can tell without comparing spec for spec, as the G21. That might be an option, instead of G21, switch to G20.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post

cause i hit better and follow up much fast with my 1911, thats the one i would carry.
    with understanding that if my skills were equal with a same weight 357, id carry that.

Yeah, I know 10mm wasn't one of the options, but G20 vs G21, same size gun, really no difference except the punch. As for the SP101... actually it's 5 shots not 6, and the G21 (.45) is 13+1. The G20 (10mm) is 15+1.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Not a trick question, simple answer...more holes, bigger holes...Glock-21.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Too small for bear. Take the lightest option. Once the bear is done with you, only one bullet is required to end your suffering.
    LOL!

First, the best defense against black bears is making lots of noise. In that respect and as a last resort, you're better off just shooting the gun into the ground to try and scare the the bear away. If you shoot a bear with either of those guns, you're likely to just piss it off and cause it to charge faster than it planned on charging!

.44 Magnum will probably work against black bears, but the ideal bear country gun is a 12 Gauge.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Originally Posted by claude clay

Yeah, I know 10mm wasn't one of the options, but G20 vs G21, same size gun, really no difference except the punch. As for the SP101... actually it's 5 shots not 6, and the G21 (.45) is 13+1. The G20 (10mm) is 15+1.

im guilty of answering based on what i have on hand--a S&W 66 6 round 357 and a kimber 45 that carries 9 of 45.

i sit corrected and stand on my 1st 7 words--the 10mm is a darn good answer

my vote goes to the G20
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I'd take the Glock. You're negating the purpose and power of that big 357 Mag round with the short barrel. Glockman gave the best answer though, the 10mm is the one to take.

If you're going against a bear, you're better off with a 357. At least you can contact the bear with the barrel and pull the trigger. The Glock or any Semiauto, for that matter, would jam.

iPad/Tapatalk
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links