.38 special golden sabers in snub nose

This is a discussion on .38 special golden sabers in snub nose within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had gotten a S&W 438 Airweight this past year and had a little bit of trouble getting bullets to expand out of the short ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JEAM

Thread: .38 special golden sabers in snub nose

I had gotten a S&W 438 Airweight this past year and had a little bit of trouble getting bullets to expand out of the short barrel. Then I tried a box of the Golden Sabers 125 gr. .38 special +P, and well I think the pictures will explain well enough.....shot though a one gallon milk jug filled with water.

All bullets tested expanded properly and pretty much look the same, and all recovered bullets have come out weighting in the 125 gr area so it fully retains it's mass. I'd highly suggest this bullet for anyone with a short barrel .38. I haven't been able to get a hold of any of the Speer 135 gr. short barrel gold dots yet, but I'm interested in how these two compare.

The GS is a good round IMO.... I mostly run the Buffalo Bore 158gr SWC HC in my snubs, but I wouldn't have a problem with the GS stuff either. I have some stashed away, along with some Gold Dots and DPX stuff.

My rule of thumb for the snub is go with the fastest & heaviest round you can get and it's all good.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I'm usually a fan of Heavy lead too, but these just seem to work amazingly well. I'm not sold on fast rounds out of a snub nose however. I'd rather run the standard pressure GS than the +p they function just as well and lesser recoil and muzzle flash. The excessive muzzle flash always tells me that the firearm is not using all the powder in the casing. The short barrel doesn't exactly use the extra pressure to it's potential. The rule that I like to go by is use something with a powder that has a burn rate and capacity that matches the gun and barrel, which typically gives you the best velocity and consistency. That being said I typically like heavy and slow over light and zippy. Either way I won't feel under gunned with the GS in either the standard or +p out of my snub and I wouldn't feel under gunned with a 158 gr. SWC either. Lead is best expanding and most consistent bullet anyway.

I do rather enjoy testing my bullets and seeing what exactly they will do, be it a factory load or handload it's always a fun time to examine.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

sgb
    Haven't seen any ballistic gel testing on the GS so I'd be much more comfortable with the Corbon 110gr DPX load.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I run The Gold Dot 135 gr. +p in my snubby. They are engineered for short barrels. 50 rounds for 30 bucks.
    Just my 2 cents.

SPEER LE 135gr + P 38 Special GDHP (OUT OF STOCK) at G&R Tactical
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've been trying to get a hold of the Gold Dots to compare to the Golden Sabers but alas I can never get a hold of them. They always seem to be out of stock, even just the bullets for loading your own are always out of stock when I look. I run the 158 gr. gold dots in my 686s and lever action but they don't function out of the shorter barrel. I really do want to get some of the 135 gr. ones to compare though.

Links