Hornady Critical Duty Ammo?

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Duty Ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the Hornady Critical duty in my Glock along with their Zombie Max rounds which is the same as the Critical Defense round, I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Hornady Critical Duty Ammo?

I have the Hornady Critical duty in my Glock along with their Zombie Max rounds which is the same as the Critical Defense round, I also carry Winchester PDX1's in there also the round in the chamber is PDX1 as is the next 2 rounds, then critical duty rounds... I like to carry an array of ammo, gonna get some of the Gold dots that everyone speaks of and give those a try as well..

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm waiting to find some critical duty ammo.

As far as critical defense, I have had over expansion, it seemed, shooting water filled jugs; a bullet hole in front and a crack in the back. The bullet got through, but, no definite exit point. All other ammo, no matter how much or how little expansion, always left some hole or damage that clearly indicated where the bullet exited.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    CRITICAL DUTY.jpgI use critical defense, gold dot, and PDX1 here is a link to Hornady's advertising on it... that ammo was available at GT Distrubutors where I purchase most of my guns ( LE and military only store)
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    If you hit the BG center mass it really doesn't matter what ammo you use ... My .02
    JerryMac likes this.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I'll wait for independent tests to get in on it, and not believe Hornady's marketroid claims. Sorry, but when they claimed that CDefense would expand 100% pf the time, and a lot of other people's tests showed it didn't...Hornady came down a few pegs in my book.

That being said...even if it does live up to claims of penetration depth, they're going to have to price those 25 (or 20) round boxes pretty darn cheap in order to get it in line with 50 round boxes that Winchester, Federal, and Speer already put out...and I doubt that'll happen. Likely you'll be able to buy 50 rounds of Gold Dot, HST or Ranger-T for slightly more than the Hornady runs for 20/25.

In short, I don't think it's going to do anything better than other products already out there do, and do for less. However, for those who constantly think a "magic bullet" is the solution, they'll sell plenty.
    I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Hornady is probably the best ammo you can buy for defensive carry. Sounds like the author didn't know what he was talking about. Hornady did extensive research to make sure that each and "every" time the bullet consistently expands and does it's job (provided you can hit center mass). They don't over-penetrate because that's the whole concept of the round is that the rubber type filler tip prevents the hollow point from clogging with clothing as it passes through and acting like a FMJ, thus passing the 11"+ threshold of penetration. Next to that, the Magsafe rounds (believe the skymarshalls use them to prevent collateral damage) and the Glaser brand ammo is probably the best. I've seen some interesting stuff with the Federal Hydroshock (that it didn't do the damage I though it would) and that's why I like Hornady...it does. If you get hit with a .45 round it would spread out around size of a nickel with sharp barbs cutting as it spun through like the old Black Talon rounds. I've carried them ever since they came out with the XTP. Mexican Aguillar is also really mean stuff.
    Wow, this post reeks of inconsistencies and falsehoods, so I'll start from the beginning.

1. Hornady doesn't make the best ammo you can buy for SD, not even close. Currently, the best and most notable SD loads are made by Speer (Gold Dot), Federal (HST), Winchester (Ranger-T, PDX1) and COR-BON (DPX).

2. Magsafe and Glaser ammo sucks, period. Actually it really sucks according to Dr. Roberts on M4Carbine.net.

3. First, there is no such thing as "skymarshalls," and I don't know why people keep perpetuating this myth that the Air Marshals use Magsafe ammo. Also, Glaser isn't Magsafe ammo..................

4. Federal Hydrashok ammo is outdated. It's been improved by Federal, and the improved version is known as HST. (Hydrashok Two)

5. Black Talons were made by Winchester, not Hornady. Hornady bullets do not create "sharp barbs," or talons, Winchester's Ranger-T bullets do.

6. There is no such thing as "Aguillar." It's Aguila, and their 117 gr. JHP failed the only "professional" testing it's been through.

Fact checking is always good...

Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    If you hit the BG center mass it really doesn't matter what ammo you use ... My .02
    It's not that simple, as not all COM hits were created equally, and a bullet which penetrates deeply with good expansion has a better chance of making a hit out of a near miss.

Also, 9mm FMJ will usually perforate the human torso and have enough energy to hurt or kill a person behind your target. Not good!
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Where do they come up with these names for all this ammo the various manufacturers keep foisting off on their gullible market.

Critical Duty?

What happens when you're put on light duty?
    pacman likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

you will be issued the light duty round LOL.... something thats capable of working well around the deptartment....

Never believe in the magic bullet theory. There may be some rounds that are better than others in various ways. But as long as you stick with a major manufacturer like Winchester, Hornady, Speer, Federal etc, you've made a solid choice and should stop worrying about finding the next magic bullet.
    JerryMac likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Most people will just take a " Critical Crap " when the balloon goes up anyway. At least the smell may repel the assault.
    OldVet likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

" What happens when you put light duty on it"

It will probably be marketed to the elderly or infirmed for $30 a box, and designed not to penetrate bed pans and convalescent equipment.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Most people will just take a " Critical Crap " when the balloon goes up anyway. At least the smell may repel the assault.

" What happens when you put light duty on it"

It will probably be marketed to the elderly or infirmed for $30 a box, and designed not to penetrate bed pans and convalescent equipment.
    Hornady could probably market it as a diuretic for the elderly. "One shot and you'll clear out straight away."
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Not to be a whiner or anything but this thread could use a good dose of Critical Beano.

Well, that's and easy one

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Where do they come up with these names for all this ammo the various manufacturers keep foisting off on their gullible market.

Critical Duty?

What happens when you're put on light duty?
    Use Critical Defense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links