Hornady Critical Duty Ammo?

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Duty Ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I say Hornady Critical Duty thats what I mean not Critical Defense. A lot of people think i'm talking a foreign language when I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Hornady Critical Duty Ammo?

Hornady Critical Duty Ammo?

When I say Hornady Critical Duty thats what I mean not Critical Defense. A lot of people think i'm talking a foreign language when I say critical duty, I research ammo from time to time and I came across the critical duty and want to know if anyone has it and if so how is it? I seen it first on Hornady website check it out yourself if you don't believe me. But my main carry is critical defense and I love this ammo, so since i'm a fan of Hornady Critical Defense ammo, i'm really interested in the Critical Duty.
    Popeye5782 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    The Critical Duty line is everything the Critical Defense should have been. Critical Duty / Critical Defense
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Ok thanks for the reply appreciate that, from what i've been reading it sounds like great ammo.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I haven't seen it in a store yet, but it sounds like good stuff. I had some major heartburn with the first article I read about it, with the author stating it was LEO use and a big liability for civilian use. He said there was too much penetration for us civilians. Doesn't the author realize we are liable for any round fired, regardless of make?
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'll wait for independent tests to get in on it, and not believe Hornady's marketroid claims. Sorry, but when they claimed that CDefense would expand 100% pf the time, and a lot of other people's tests showed it didn't...Hornady came down a few pegs in my book.

That being said...even if it does live up to claims of penetration depth, they're going to have to price those 25 (or 20) round boxes pretty darn cheap in order to get it in line with 50 round boxes that Winchester, Federal, and Speer already put out...and I doubt that'll happen. Likely you'll be able to buy 50 rounds of Gold Dot, HST or Ranger-T for slightly more than the Hornady runs for 20/25.

In short, I don't think it's going to do anything better than other products already out there do, and do for less. However, for those who constantly think a "magic bullet" is the solution, they'll sell plenty.
    JD and hogdaddy like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I don't know what is wrong with critical defense ammo? Its what I have been using and has never failed me. Geuss I just don't like change unless necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    I don't know what is wrong with critical defense ammo? Its what I have been using and has never failed me. Geuss I just don't like change unless necessary
    Lightweight, underpenetrates, doesn't do well through light barriers, doesn't always expand (despite Hornady's advertising claims), and a lot of folks have feeding issues with the rubber brake pad they stuff in the nose.

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Hornady is probably the best ammo you can buy for defensive carry. Sounds like the author didn't know what he was talking about. Hornady did extensive research to make sure that each and "every" time the bullet consistently expands and does it's job (provided you can hit center mass). They don't over-penetrate because that's the whole concept of the round is that the rubber type filler tip prevents the hollow point from clogging with clothing as it passes through and acting like a FMJ, thus passing the 11"+ threshold of penetration. Next to that, the Magsafe rounds (believe the skymarshalls use them to prevent collateral damage) and the Glaser brand ammo is probably the best. I've seen some interesting stuff with the Federal Hydroshock (that it didn't do the damage I though it would) and that's why I like Hornady...it does. If you get hit with a .45 round it would spread out around size of a nickel with sharp barbs cutting as it spun through like the old Black Talon rounds. I've carried them ever since they came out with the XTP. Mexican Aguillar is also really mean stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Hornady is probably the best ammo you can buy for defensive carry. Sounds like the author didn't know what he was talking about. Hornady did extensive research to make sure that each and "every" time the bullet consistently expands and does it's job (provided you can hit center mass). They don't over-penetrate because that's the whole concept of the round is that the rubber type filler tip prevents the hollow point from clogging with clothing as it passes through and acting like a FMJ, thus passing the 11"+ threshold of penetration. Next to that, the Magsafe rounds (believe the skymarshalls use them to prevent collateral damage) and the Glaser brand ammo is probably the best. I've seen some interesting stuff with the Federal Hydroshock (that it didn't do the damage I though it would) and that's why I like Hornady...it does. If you get hit with a .45 round it would spread out around size of a nickel with sharp barbs cutting as it spun through like the old Black Talon rounds. I've carried them ever since they came out with the XTP. Mexican Aguillar is also really mean stuff.
    OK...

First, Sky Marshals carry Gold Dots, not crap Magsuck or Glaser ammo.

Second, if you do any research whatsoever--beyond Hornady's advertisements, that is--you'll find many instances of Critcal Defects failing to expand. I have a sneaking suspicion that Critical Duty will have the same issue.

Third, 11 inches is not enough penetration, especially if it needs to go through an arm first, or is at an oblique angle (or both).

Fourth--the Black Talon had horrible non-expansion issues.

Fifth--Glaser is seriously overpriced gimmick loads that mall ninjas pee themselves over. If they were all that, you'd see actual agencies issue and carry them...but you don't...I wonder why?
    sgb likes this.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    But have you shot anything other than paper or maybe gelatin with it? Just curious as to what all it has never failed to do.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    surefire7 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

That's it as far as what I have shot. But honestly that's all I need to see for it to work for me. If it comes out of the end of my barrel for some reason I doubt that any bg will sit around and wait to see what all got passed through. Therefore I will continue to carry them. I have fired at least 200 through my m&p .45 and haven't had any feed issues of any kind. Enough for me.

There is a review by "tnoutdoors9" on YouTube. This seems to be a good review of the .380 Hornady Critical Defense ammo. I was impressed by this ammo in .380 since this level of penetration is not what you would expect from this small caliber. Some folks here are rightfully leery of Horandy's own horn tooting but this guy seems to be independent. Here is the link if you want to watch it. It's about 4 min long. An eye opener for me. Don't know the advantages of this ammo in other calibers but in .380 it seems to make a difference.

Hornady Critical Defense .380 ACP 90 gr Ammo test - YouTube

I haven't seen anything about "Critical Duty" from Hornady. But I'll watch for it.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    As we know, shot placement and penetration will continue to be the mainstays of any gunfight, and in all reality the biggest advantage that premium self defense ammo gives is consistent quality control, not the massive expansion we all hope for.

I believe Hornady is a solid company, they have some interesting products, especially their "leverevolution" line. That right there is probably the single greatest advancement for lever guns since...well...Steve Mcqueen in Wanted dead or alive.

Now on to the Critical Duty line. Hornady's biggest problem with Critical Defense was that it was too light, and no +P available. Critical Duty seems to simply be a heavier critical defense, with +P available. I did .380 testing a while back, and the Critical Defense line worked 90% of the time through denim and gelatin, not perfect, but I'd be willing to give this new line a shot. Just a few cents.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    I usually buy Critical Defense because Gold Dot is mostly not available where I shop. If it is it doesn't last long. Haven't seen any Critical Duty yet.

Personnaly, I'm waiting for 'Hornady Critical Jelly Belly Defense Duty' .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links