Opinions on Hydra-Shoks?

Opinions on Hydra-Shoks?

This is a discussion on Opinions on Hydra-Shoks? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I was shopping for .38sp +P ammo online for my new SP101 2 1/4" .357 Mag, and I found this: .38 Special Federal LE ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Opinions on Hydra-Shoks?

Opinions on Hydra-Shoks?

Yesterday I was shopping for .38sp +P ammo online for my new SP101 2 1/4" .357 Mag, and I found this:

.38 Special Federal LE Tactical® Hydra-Shok®

I've always been a fan of Hydra-Shoks, and have several hundred rounds of it in .357 Mag already. I started using them a decade or so ago in my Taurus 669 .357 Mag when a guy I went to the range with recommended them.

I decided to pick up a couple boxes of .38 147gr +P+, and for some reason when I viewed my shopping cart, they dropped the price to $11 a box! Maybe a discount for a new customer? I don't know, but I ended up ordering 4 boxes! Just couldn't pass up a deal like that!

What is the general opinion on this round? I know that many favor Speer Gold Dots or Remington Golden Sabers. Is anyone a fan of Federal Hydra-Shoks? If you feel I made a poor decision, please tell me why. I have checked the numbers on the three rounds, but numbers are just numbers. I trust and respect the opinions of my fellow forum members more! Thanks in advance!

Alot of people swear by them, but alot of people dont like them. In ammo tests that i have seen they have done well. But then again some people really do not like Golden Saber, Ranger T, Powerball. There is love and hate in all ammo. I think there a good bullet and you got a bargain! Hydra Shocks are an old design and it seems to be some what, what people base the dislike on. Look up ammo tests on youtube and you will find out alot. I have seen them do well all the time and any bullet can fail anytime. So i think you picked a winner.

Glenn

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennO87 View Post
    Alot of people swear by them, but alot of people dont like them. In ammo tests that i have seen they have done well. But then again some people really do not like Golden Saber, Ranger T, Powerball. There is love and hate in all ammo.
    Glenn
    I'm not sure there is a love/hate relationship with Powerball, more of just a universal dislike.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Any bullet design that mushroomed well in the '90s will still mushroom well today. "Newer' isn't always any better. I have Win PDX1s, Hydra-shoks and a couple of other name brands in stock and wouldn't hesitate to use any of them.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Thanks for the input folks, I agree, personal preference really comes into play. I certainly don't think I'll feel under-powered with Hydra-Shoks.

Hydra Shoks are a reliable round with a good track record in most defensive calibers. They've been around for probably 20 years so they aren't the latest technology, but one could do far worse in selecting defensive ammo. Load up in confidence.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I Like Hydra-Shocks shoot 'em in .45 acp. Started shooting them about 20 some years ago when I found out they were more accurate than my best handloads.

The only thing I don't like about them is they can be hard to find!

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    I Like Hydra-Shocks shoot 'em in .45 acp. Started shooting them about 20 some years ago when I found out they were more accurate than my best handloads.

Try here Grouse:

Streicher's Police Equipment | Holsters, Ammunition, Uniforms and More

Prices seem pretty reasonable, I haven't received my order yet so I can't speak for the entire buying experience, but I'll let you know when they're at my door.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielC View Post
    Try here Grouse:

Streicher's Police Equipment | Holsters, Ammunition, Uniforms and More

Prices seem pretty reasonable, I haven't received my order yet so I can't speak for the entire buying experience, but I'll let you know when they're at my door.
    Thanks, Danny!
    DanielC likes this.

they clog and fail way to often... way better options out there..

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post

My local Wally-World sells Federal Hydra-Shocks in most handgun calibers at a good price. Maybe all Wallys will soon have them.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

VIP Member
    You do your job, they'll do theirs!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

The Powerball thing is true, really no one likes them. Really the hydra shock is old technology that works great and i would not hesitate to use them. Would trust them a hell of alot more than PDX1, the amount i have seen them fail is crazy.

my glock was freezing up with PDX1's, thought it was the ammo. Then I found it was the glock! Imagine that! Need a new guide rod.

Personally, I think Hydra-Shok is a second-tier line, after HST and Gold Dot (in the Federal/ATK line-up)...

That being said, if you put it on target, it's still going to do a number on the receiver.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links