Ranger T +P 9mm ammo FTF

This is a discussion on Ranger T +P 9mm ammo FTF within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wasn't sure where to post this because it concerns both the ammo and the firearm, so Mods please feel free to move it as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ranger T +P 9mm ammo FTF

Ranger T +P 9mm ammo FTF

I wasn't sure where to post this because it concerns both the ammo and the firearm, so Mods please feel free to move it as necessary...

I was at the indoor range last night shooting the M&P 9c. Shot off 50 round of AE 115 gr. FMJ as a warm-up, then started in on the above listed Ranger T. This was the first time shooting any SD ammo through the 9c. I couldn't get my hands on any Federal HST right now, and this was available so I thought I'd try it.

Well, after sending the 1st round downrange, there was a FTF (failure to feed, not failure to fire). Did a quick tap on the slide, sent another one down. Another FTF. What the heck is goin' on here. I had shot about 250 rounds of American Eagle FMJ without a hiccup, now this. I ended up shooting the whole box of 50, probably had FTF's on about 2/3's of them. OTOH, they were really accurate.

So, anybody out there have this problem with the same combo of ammo and firearm?

Bill
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Not to start a gun war,but I shoot 124+p Ranger T's through my G17&G19,without any prob's,might want to check length or maybe the mag.

The FTF's happened out of two mags with the same regularity. Glockrocker, I assume you mean OAL?
    NRA Life Member

sgb
    The wife's M&P 9c eats Ranger T, Gold Dots & HST without any problem. Exactly how is it failing to feed? The more descriptive the better.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I'll do my best here, SGB. I just played around with feeding a round at a time and watching what was happening. When cycling the slide slowly, the top round seemed to hang up or stick on the feed ramp somehow. That ramp seems real steep in this gun. When cycled as fast as I can do it by hand, everything seems to work OK.

I guess what I'll do is clean both mags too just to eliminate another variable and try things out at the range again. At least it's encouraging that your wife's 9c works with this ammo. I'll let you know what happens.
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    I have a 9c that runs fine with Ranger-T as well.

How long have you had the gun?
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

My M&P 9c Eats any and all rounds fed to it ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I have a box of the Ranger T 124 +P and the 147 non +P stuff and my CZ75 functions well no FTF with any.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Ranger T I know from personal experience will hang in early PPS as the T-Series bullet has a angled bullet instead of a rounded one like Gold Dot. S & W replaced my PPS because of it. You may wish to have someone else shoot it as the have been reports a limp wrist (not a SF wave) can cause a FTF.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Don't know about the M&P but my PPS will not feed 147gr of any brand I've tried, Ranger T or Federal HST. Any other weight, it seems to eat it all, no problem. Perhaps your M&P doesn't like the particular weight or bullet you were using.

I just got back from the range. It's a god news/bad news kind of thing. The good news is I was limp wristing the 9c, but only when firing the Win. Ranger T. The bad news is I have this this gun harder than any gun I have ever shot, including my M&P 40 and many, many Govt. size 1911's. It's causing me to hit about 3-4" low a good portion of the time unless I really concentrate. I don't know if I should have to grip the gun this hard or not to be honest with you, or if there's something not quite right with it. I've had this gun for about 5-6 weeks now.

One thing I might try, even though I don't want to, is FS mags with X-grips. Maybe I won't have to grip the darn thing so tight. I still might try some Gold Dots, but just one thing at a time.
    NRA Life Member

In the 5 to 6 weeks you've had your M&P, how many rounds has it eaten? May still be a break-in thing. Just a thought.

So far, about 250 rounds of FMJ and 150 rounds of Ranger T.
    NRA Life Member

I have done 200 rounds of Ranger T's 124 Gr +P in my G-19 with no issues. I have 800 more rounds to go from my last bulk buy.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Ok how do you shoot that much "Social Ammo" at a time. I buy in bulk and it is really cheap compared to the other good ammo like Cor-Bon and Remington. Getting ammo in 25 packs is expensive, getting it in 50 round boxes in Bulk is way cheaper. The Ranger T-s are street proven and are the next version that the Police are using (old Talons). Go look at "Google" is your friend for info on this ammo. Box of Truth is also a great place for info. The best place is where you can buy it locally. Me I bought it on the internet and had it shipped to my home in 9MM, 40S&W and 45ACP.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links