ak47 ammo?

This is a discussion on ak47 ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Soon I will be getting an Ak it's an Arsenal SGL21-71 which is a 7.62x39, So today I was looking at ammo online and see ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sgb

Thread: ak47 ammo?

ak47 ammo?

Soon I will be getting an Ak it's an Arsenal SGL21-71 which is a 7.62x39, So today I was looking at ammo online and see alot of Bear ammo, Tulammo,wolf ammo and others most are going for around $200ish for 1000 rounds. My question is are these good ammo brands, what would you choose out of them or would you recomend another brand. The site I was looking at was J&G sales, I'm sure there are alot of other places to look and if you know of any good ones please send me the link. thank you everyone for your help in my search.

2. Remove Ads

I have run virtually all of those mentioned through my Norinco MAK without a hiccup. AK's are historically very forgiving when it comes to ammo. I do try to use non-corrosive just to make cleaning easier. Most of what you'll find is Comm Block steel case stuff which I have never had a problem with. Welcome to the forum too. Other ammo purchase sites include Ammoman, Natchez Shooters Supply, and some others around here will pipe up. I avoid Cheaper Than Dirt due to their profiteering attitude a couple of years ago.

RKM
    I use whatever is cheapest and non-corrosive. You can shoot non-corrosive, you just need to be thorough when you clean, and clean it immediately after shooting. I save myself the time and stress by spending a little bit more on non-corrosive. Unless you're going to be using premium defensive or hunting ammo, avoid brass. It's not worth it.

I've shot Tulammo, Silver Bear, Brown Bear, Wolf Miltary Classic, etc. Basically anything steel and Russian.

Any of the steel cased stuff seems to run alright through AKs in 7.62 or 5.45, though I have seen issues with other calibers especially with Tulammo and Wolf which can be very inconsistent and lightly loaded. I prefer Brown/Silver Bear, Barnaul, or Golden Tiger and since most of the steel cased ammo is priced fairly similarily I stick with those to play it safe.

sgb
    Guest1 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Most of those are Russian brands, so they are quite fine to run through your Russian gun. My AK chews up and spits out anything, and I'm going to assume yours will too. For serious matters, take a look at Hornady. They have a good SST bullet in a steel case to make it affordable. Here's a link just to give you reference Ammo 7.62x39mm Russian 123 Grain SST Steel Case

Make sure you use good mags above all else. I prefer US Palm AK30s, but they are more costly than the surplus steel. That said, I have only had a few steel ones that were bad, but that's bound to happen a time or two with $10 mags.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

While serving,when we did carry AK's,this is the ammo we carried,it is very dependable,alot of this ammo was in country already that was confi'd,we could'nt run AK's with American made ammo,would defeat the purpose.

It should work well with any of them. Avoid the corrosive stuff even if it is just corrosive primers. If you do use it clean the weapon with soap and water dry it then clean it as you normal would. Buying bulk 7.62X39 for the most part shop price. The steel case stuff works well the brass keeps longer generally not in every case.

I think the consensus is shoot whatever is cheapest...in terms of the modern Russian steel cased stuff it's all just about the same. My 7.62x39 ammo can is 95% Herter's which is Cabela's generic ammo brand. (Had a big sale around Christmas time) My understanding is that it's made by Tula and just re-packaged.

Links