40 S&W 180gr TOO HOT ???

This is a discussion on 40 S&W 180gr TOO HOT ??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; THANKS for the info.. I too have seen where most LE carry those and like I said have only shot the FMJ....I have a few ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 40 S&W 180gr TOO HOT ???

THANKS for the info.. I too have seen where most LE carry those and like I said have only shot the FMJ....I have a few boxes of the Federal HST 180 and will be trying those out very soon... The recoil was very tolerable but then again I use to shoot pretty much 44 mag only when reloading and hunting. The 23 shot very well and groups were right on..Like I said now need to shoot what I plan on carrying..Thanks again
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

2. Remove Ads

I shoot Winchester (WWB and Ranger) and Federal (Champion and HST) in my brand-new XD40SC and PT740 without any hesitation. I'm sure that Federal and Winchester, two of the largest, most respected ammunition companies in the USA load their 180's to exactly SAAMI specifications.

They better not be too hot. 180 grain Rangers are my 229 fodder.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SATCHMO1960 View Post
    I am using a gen3 Glock 23 and have only shot the Winchester 180gr FMJ yet have a bunch of the Federal HST 180 to shoot and plan on using for carry...The article is............CALIBERS -- Why the 180gr Bullet is a Bad Choice for .40 S&W
    I'm sure if the 180gr was that bad, the FBI wouldn't have picked it up as their carry round in the PDX-1

Quote Originally Posted by SATCHMO1960 View Post
    THANKS for the info.. I too have seen where most LE carry those and like I said have only shot the FMJ....I have a few boxes of the Federal HST 180 and will be trying those out very soon... The recoil was very tolerable but then again I use to shoot pretty much 44 mag only when reloading and hunting. The 23 shot very well and groups were right on..Like I said now need to shoot what I plan on carrying..Thanks again
    Stick with the 180 gr. Federal HST, and you won't be disappointed.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    CDW4ME posted good numbers

for the 180 at 950fps its the same as a 180 45acp out of a similar length bbl

as for re-loading that round--think of it as a round that is maxed out as it is. and use a good crimp
    cause 1/10" set back f the bullet in the case as much as doubles the pressure.
    when instructing for reloaders one must always be careful but for the 40 S&W
    utmost in the careful department is advised. i do not think of it as a round for the beginner.
    same for the 7.62 x 25. they are very edgy cartrages.

as for TO HOT....perhaps when a spent case goes down the front of her blouse...
    gunthorp likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    CDW4ME posted good numbers

for the 180 at 950fps its the same as a 180 45acp out of a similar length bbl
    I just wanted to point out that that is quite a low estimate unless we are talking about softer shooting FMJ/range ammo.

Premium SD/Duty loads listed below:

[XM40HC] Federal HST 180 gr. (4" barrel) - 1,020 fps / 416 ft-lbs KE

Speer Gold Dot 180 gr. (4" barrel) - 995 fps / 396 ft-lbs KE

Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr. (4" barrel) - 990 fps / 392 ft-lbs KE
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

A close friend of mine had his Glock 22 blow up in his hand....was using corbon 135 gr JHP....

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Kabooms happen when the case is not supported in the breach and/or the slide is not in full battery (from a lead build up or bad seating of the bullet head)
    Glock barrel have a lot of play in them so they can digest a multitude of ammo without being finicky. Aftermarket barrels are tighter in tolerances and are a little pickier about what they like. Glock does not recommend reloads for this reason or lead bullets.

I have shot a lot of 40's with no problems because it is new but someone will get on here and tell you how safe they so you are going to have to make a dissection on what is expectable to you. To Me; no to reloads in the glocks. Do a test with your barrel and see if there is excessive play with you loads and make a Decision if it's ok

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    and use a good crimp
    cause 1/10" set back f the bullet in the case as much as doubles the pressure.
    Crimp in pistol cartridges does not hold the bullet in place. It's only done to remove the belling done prior to bullet seating. The sizing die sets the case mouth tension, not the crimp.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    180gr is best for the .40. I don't feel the kick as much.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I've loaded since 1960 and 40 S&W for five or six years. I load only 180gr and my Sig and 2 Glocks like them just fine.
    Retired Air Force
    Lifetime NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    "Hot?".................The 180 grain is the slowest of all the .40 Smith cartridges available. There is no such thing as a +P or +P+ in the that particular load, as far as I know. If one overloads it in his own reloading shop then sure, it may be hot. Otherwise it's the weakest round of the available loads in this particular caliber, from a terminal ballistics perspective.

Personally I've alway's loaded my .40 Smith pistols with a 155 grain or 135 grain.

Could you please site the source of the article you read ? I'd be interested in who wrote it and what experiences they had and have had with this particular load.

YMMV
    That would be a 180gr. Double-Tap 10mm, lol.......
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I like shooting the Double Tap 180 weight Nosler bullet at 1100 fps. I think the article may need to be taken with a grain of salt....

^^YEP^^^^^^

Malarkey

Here are saami specs for a few calibers from the Hodgdon load data;

.40S&W

40 S&W, 180 gr
    Bullet Powder Weight Powder Velocity OAL Primer Source
    XTP 3.5 gr CLAYS 847 fps 1.125" WSP Hodgdon
    Suggested starting load: 3.2 gr

Pressure: 34,300 PSI

45 ACP, 200 gr
    JHP 4.3 gr CLAYS 785 fps 1.155" Fed 150 Hodgdon
    Suggested starting load: 3.9 gr

Pressure: 17,700 CUP

.357 Magnum

8.5 gr HP38 1,514 fps 1.59" WSPM Hodgdon
    Suggested starting load: 7.7 gr

Pressure: 42,700 CUP

.357 Sig

XTP 9.0 gr HS6 1,339 fps 1.135" WSP Hodgdon
    Suggested starting load: 8.1 gr

Pressure: 38,700 PSI

9mm

FMJ 4.8 gr HP38 1,088 fps 1.09" CCI 500 Hodgdon
    Suggested starting load: 4.3 gr

Pressure: 28,800 CUP

From here; http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...Source=Hodgdon

It really doesn't look all that outrageous, when compared to others.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Strangely, I went shooting today. Someone gave me a box of 180gr Win FMJ .40 for x-mas, and I tore through them today with my G23. No real noticeable difference. No increase in accuracy, no kB, no excessive recoil. Just another round.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I like shooting the Double Tap 180 weight Nosler bullet at 1100 fps. I think the article may need to be taken with a grain of salt....
    Since when does DTA 10mm actually meet advertised velocity?
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links