Defensive Carry banner

40 S&W 180gr TOO HOT ???

29K views 37 replies 31 participants last post by  Ragin Cajun 
#1 ·
Just read an article that states the 180gr is too hot a load.....States too much pressure and a chance for kaboom. Anyone have an ideas on this ?? I have had no problems with them but now a little leary

#2 ·
I think the idea of them going kaboom in a regularly manufactured and marketed gun is negligible. I don't like shooting them but
that is personal preference.

#3 ·
The heavier the bullet the greater the felt recoil as for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. However the manufactures load to the SAAMI established pressure and as "Hopyard" stated any firearm properly manufactured for the caliber should safely handle properly manufactured ammo. To my understanding every ammo lot is rigorously tested for pressure compliance to SAAMI specs.

#4 ·
Kabooms happen when the case is not supported in the breach and/or the slide is not in full battery (from a lead build up or bad seating of the bullet head)
Glock barrel have a lot of play in them so they can digest a multitude of ammo without being finicky. Aftermarket barrels are tighter in tolerances and are a little pickier about what they like. Glock does not recommend reloads for this reason or lead bullets.

I have shot a lot of 40's with no problems because it is new but someone will get on here and tell you how safe they so you are going to have to make a dissection on what is expectable to you. To Me; no to reloads in the glocks. Do a test with your barrel and see if there is excessive play with you loads and make a Decision if it's ok

#7 ·
That's funny, I feel the same way :yup:

I prefer 180s, myself. Mostly so I can pretend that I'm cool with my 10mm short, aka FBI lite :hand5:

#28 ·
^^YEP^^^^^^

Malarkey

Here are saami specs for a few calibers from the Hodgdon load data;

.40S&W

40 S&W, 180 gr
Bullet Powder Weight Powder Velocity OAL Primer Source
XTP 3.5 gr CLAYS 847 fps 1.125" WSP Hodgdon
Suggested starting load: 3.2 gr

Pressure: 34,300 PSI

45 ACP, 200 gr
JHP 4.3 gr CLAYS 785 fps 1.155" Fed 150 Hodgdon
Suggested starting load: 3.9 gr

Pressure: 17,700 CUP

.357 Magnum

8.5 gr HP38 1,514 fps 1.59" WSPM Hodgdon
Suggested starting load: 7.7 gr

Pressure: 42,700 CUP

.357 Sig

XTP 9.0 gr HS6 1,339 fps 1.135" WSP Hodgdon
Suggested starting load: 8.1 gr

Pressure: 38,700 PSI

9mm

FMJ 4.8 gr HP38 1,088 fps 1.09" CCI 500 Hodgdon
Suggested starting load: 4.3 gr

Pressure: 28,800 CUP

From here; http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/d...=125&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=Hodgdon

It really doesn't look all that outrageous, when compared to others.

#10 ·
"Hot?".................The 180 grain is the slowest of all the .40 Smith cartridges available. There is no such thing as a +P or +P+ in the that particular load, as far as I know. If one overloads it in his own reloading shop then sure, it may be hot. Otherwise it's the weakest round of the available loads in this particular caliber, from a terminal ballistics perspective.

Personally I've alway's loaded my .40 Smith pistols with a 155 grain or 135 grain.

Could you please site the source of the article you read ? I'd be interested in who wrote it and what experiences they had and have had with this particular load.

YMMV

#11 ·
"Hot?".................The 180 grain is the slowest of all the .40 Smith cartridges available. There is no such thing as a +P or +P+ in the that particular load, as far as I know. If one overloads it in his own reloading shop then sure, it may be hot. Otherwise it's the weakest round of the available loads in this particular caliber, from a terminal ballistics perspective.

Personally I've alway's loaded my .40 Smith pistols with a 155 grain or 135 grain.

Could you please site the source of the article you read ? I'd be interested in who wrote it and what experiences they had and have had with this particular load.
YMMV
I have 200 rounds of the 135 and not had a chance to actually try them out. I bought them during the ammo shortage and because I once had a box of 125 gr .40s I liked (discontinued). I'd like to hear your thoughts on the 135 gr ammo and
perceived recoil.

#12 ·
#15 ·
I was going to ask how old the article was...I knew it would be from the 90's, and I was right. IIRC, the whole thing stemmed from a bad batch of 180gr HydraShoks; there were issues with them, and everybody wet their pants about the 180gr loads.

It was wrong then, and just as wrong now.

Seriously--check out what some of the most-used LE rounds are, and you're going to find that they are 180gr.

#13 ·
At least as far as reloading goes, the pressures for min/max listed loads don't really change all that much between the 155 gr. to 180 gr. weights. As the bullet weight goes up, the charge weight goes down, so the pressures aren't all that different. Personally, I've always carried 180 gr. Federal HST and I reload 180 gr. practice rounds and I've never had any issues, nor have I ever seen any signs of overpressure in any of the many rounds I've shot.

Do I think you need to be careful with the .40? Yeah, sure. But I don't believe there is any reason to avoid the 180 gr. rounds or worry about kBs because they are too "hot"...

#14 ·
180 gr. was the original weight for 40 S&W

EMP 40 chrono results (average for at least 5 shots):
Remington 180 JHP @ 935 fps / 350# KE / PF 168
Federal 180 JHP @ 944 fps / 356# KE / PF 170
Winchester 180 JHP @ 952 fps / 362# KE / PF 171
Winchester Ranger T 165 @ 1,054 fps / 407# KE / PF 174
Hornady Zombie Max 165 @ 1,078 fps / 426# KE / PF 178

Using my chrono results, according to the power factor calcuation (PF) those 180 gr. loads actually produced a little less recoil than the 165 gr.

#16 ·
THANKS for the info.. I too have seen where most LE carry those and like I said have only shot the FMJ....I have a few boxes of the Federal HST 180 and will be trying those out very soon... The recoil was very tolerable but then again I use to shoot pretty much 44 mag only when reloading and hunting. The 23 shot very well and groups were right on..Like I said now need to shoot what I plan on carrying..Thanks again

#20 ·
Stick with the 180 gr. Federal HST, and you won't be disappointed.

#17 ·
I shoot Winchester (WWB and Ranger) and Federal (Champion and HST) in my brand-new XD40SC and PT740 without any hesitation. I'm sure that Federal and Winchester, two of the largest, most respected ammunition companies in the USA load their 180's to exactly SAAMI specifications.

#21 ·
CDW4ME posted good numbers

for the 180 at 950fps its the same as a 180 45acp out of a similar length bbl

as for re-loading that round--think of it as a round that is maxed out as it is. and use a good crimp
cause 1/10" set back f the bullet in the case as much as doubles the pressure.
when instructing for reloaders one must always be careful but for the 40 S&W
utmost in the careful department is advised. i do not think of it as a round for the beginner.
same for the 7.62 x 25. they are very edgy cartrages.

as for TO HOT....perhaps when a spent case goes down the front of her blouse...

Reactions: gunthorp
#22 ·
CDW4ME posted good numbers

for the 180 at 950fps its the same as a 180 45acp out of a similar length bbl
I just wanted to point out that that is quite a low estimate unless we are talking about softer shooting FMJ/range ammo.

Premium SD/Duty loads listed below:

[XM40HC] Federal HST 180 gr. (4" barrel) - 1,020 fps / 416 ft-lbs KE

Speer Gold Dot 180 gr. (4" barrel) - 995 fps / 396 ft-lbs KE

Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr. (4" barrel) - 990 fps / 392 ft-lbs KE

#29 ·
Strangely, I went shooting today. Someone gave me a box of 180gr Win FMJ .40 for x-mas, and I tore through them today with my G23. No real noticeable difference. No increase in accuracy, no kB, no excessive recoil. Just another round.

#31 ·
I've used a variety of ammo in .40 over time now. I've put everything through from a rare 125 gr which is no
longer on the market to the 135 gr Federal hollow points; MagSafe frangible; 165 and 180 fmj and JHP. Everything but
the 155 gr.

ALL are good. IMO you pays your money and takes your choice. I know CCI isn't going to bring back the 125 gr, but
I really did like that one for the low recoil.

#33 ·
I'm getting 1010fps out of my PM40 BUG with 180 gr Hornady XTP reloads.
I'm getting 1050fps out of my 3" Kimber 45 EDC with Cor Bon 185 gr DPX.

This spring I'll chrono 140 gr DPX out of the little 40. Although I like heavy-for-bore bullets, DPX with Barne's copper HP's has shown remarkable barrier penetration coupled with reliable expansion.

#34 ·
I'm using Federal white box 180gr HST and have had no prob at all with about 300 rnds fired. I also have used the winchester 180 gr fmj at about the same 300 rnds with no prob. The HST are my edc and feel this is a VERY capable round for self defense

#35 ·
When I carry my Glock 22 I also use Federal 180 grain HST but not in the white box. I think the only difference between the white box and the more colorful box(other than price) the colorful box ammo is nickel plated supposedly for more reliable feeding but who knows.

#37 ·
I have three different cc handguns. One of them is a Walther PPS .40. I used UMC 180 grain fmj bulk pack of 500 rounds from Walmart to "break" in my pistol. Even though I cried, I put 40 rounds of Winchester Bonded PDX1 165 gr. JHP to establish my point of aim vs the point of impact. Never had a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.