40 S&W 180gr TOO HOT ??? - Page 3

40 S&W 180gr TOO HOT ???

This is a discussion on 40 S&W 180gr TOO HOT ??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've used a variety of ammo in .40 over time now. I've put everything through from a rare 125 gr which is no longer on ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 40 S&W 180gr TOO HOT ???

VIP Member
    I've used a variety of ammo in .40 over time now. I've put everything through from a rare 125 gr which is no
    longer on the market to the 135 gr Federal hollow points; MagSafe frangible; 165 and 180 fmj and JHP. Everything but
    the 155 gr.

ALL are good. IMO you pays your money and takes your choice. I know CCI isn't going to bring back the 125 gr, but
    I really did like that one for the low recoil.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

the 180 grain bullet was the original design for the S&W .40. I'm sure why now that would be considered 'too hot'.

VIP Member
    I'm getting 1010fps out of my PM40 BUG with 180 gr Hornady XTP reloads.
    I'm getting 1050fps out of my 3" Kimber 45 EDC with Cor Bon 185 gr DPX.

This spring I'll chrono 140 gr DPX out of the little 40. Although I like heavy-for-bore bullets, DPX with Barne's copper HP's has shown remarkable barrier penetration coupled with reliable expansion.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I'm using Federal white box 180gr HST and have had no prob at all with about 300 rnds fired. I also have used the winchester 180 gr fmj at about the same 300 rnds with no prob. The HST are my edc and feel this is a VERY capable round for self defense
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

Quote Originally Posted by SATCHMO1960 View Post
    I'm using Federal white box 180gr HST and have had no prob at all with about 300 rnds fired. I also have used the winchester 180 gr fmj at about the same 300 rnds with no prob. The HST are my edc and feel this is a VERY capable round for self defense
    When I carry my Glock 22 I also use Federal 180 grain HST but not in the white box. I think the only difference between the white box and the more colorful box(other than price) the colorful box ammo is nickel plated supposedly for more reliable feeding but who knows.

Never had a problem with 180 grain ammo, it's all I shoot(in my .40 S&W guns) never had a pistol blow up on me yet, and I prefer it, it's more push than snap which is what I like

I have three different cc handguns. One of them is a Walther PPS .40. I used UMC 180 grain fmj bulk pack of 500 rounds from Walmart to "break" in my pistol. Even though I cried, I put 40 rounds of Winchester Bonded PDX1 165 gr. JHP to establish my point of aim vs the point of impact. Never had a problem.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    "Hot" is determined by the amount of powder used, not the weight of the bullet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links