40 S&W 180gr TOO HOT ???

40 S&W 180gr TOO HOT ???

This is a discussion on 40 S&W 180gr TOO HOT ??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just read an article that states the 180gr is too hot a load.....States too much pressure and a chance for kaboom. Anyone have an ideas ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 40 S&W 180gr TOO HOT ???

40 S&W 180gr TOO HOT ???

Just read an article that states the 180gr is too hot a load.....States too much pressure and a chance for kaboom. Anyone have an ideas on this ?? I have had no problems with them but now a little leary
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

VIP Member
    I think the idea of them going kaboom in a regularly manufactured and marketed gun is negligible. I don't like shooting them but
    that is personal preference.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

The heavier the bullet the greater the felt recoil as for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. However the manufactures load to the SAAMI established pressure and as "Hopyard" stated any firearm properly manufactured for the caliber should safely handle properly manufactured ammo. To my understanding every ammo lot is rigorously tested for pressure compliance to SAAMI specs.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Kabooms happen when the case is not supported in the breach and/or the slide is not in full battery (from a lead build up or bad seating of the bullet head)
    Glock barrel have a lot of play in them so they can digest a multitude of ammo without being finicky. Aftermarket barrels are tighter in tolerances and are a little pickier about what they like. Glock does not recommend reloads for this reason or lead bullets.

I have shot a lot of 40's with no problems because it is new but someone will get on here and tell you how safe they so you are going to have to make a dissection on what is expectable to you. To Me; no to reloads in the glocks. Do a test with your barrel and see if there is excessive play with you loads and make a Decision if it's ok

Actually the 180's are generally lower pressure rounds than the 155's/165's.
    Old School and Knightrider like this.

The 180s actually feel easier on my hand than the 165s in my G23.
    Old School likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The 180s actually feel easier on my hand than the 165s in my G23.
    That's funny, I feel the same way

I prefer 180s, myself. Mostly so I can pretend that I'm cool with my 10mm short, aka FBI lite
    Old School and DefConGun like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I like shooting the Double Tap 180 weight Nosler bullet at 1100 fps. I think the article may need to be taken with a grain of salt....
    oneshot likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

To tell you the truth, I can't tell the difference between my 165 gr HSTs and my 180 gr. FMJs.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

"Hot?".................The 180 grain is the slowest of all the .40 Smith cartridges available. There is no such thing as a +P or +P+ in the that particular load, as far as I know. If one overloads it in his own reloading shop then sure, it may be hot. Otherwise it's the weakest round of the available loads in this particular caliber, from a terminal ballistics perspective.

Personally I've alway's loaded my .40 Smith pistols with a 155 grain or 135 grain.

Could you please site the source of the article you read ? I'd be interested in who wrote it and what experiences they had and have had with this particular load.

YMMV
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    "Hot?".................The 180 grain is the slowest of all the .40 Smith cartridges available. There is no such thing as a +P or +P+ in the that particular load, as far as I know. If one overloads it in his own reloading shop then sure, it may be hot. Otherwise it's the weakest round of the available loads in this particular caliber, from a terminal ballistics perspective.

Personally I've alway's loaded my .40 Smith pistols with a 155 grain or 135 grain.

Could you please site the source of the article you read ? I'd be interested in who wrote it and what experiences they had and have had with this particular load.
    YMMV
    I have 200 rounds of the 135 and not had a chance to actually try them out. I bought them during the ammo shortage and because I once had a box of 125 gr .40s I liked (discontinued). I'd like to hear your thoughts on the 135 gr ammo and
    perceived recoil.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I am using a gen3 Glock 23 and have only shot the Winchester 180gr FMJ yet have a bunch of the Federal HST 180 to shoot and plan on using for carry...The article is............CALIBERS -- Why the 180gr Bullet is a Bad Choice for .40 S&W
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

VIP Member
    At least as far as reloading goes, the pressures for min/max listed loads don't really change all that much between the 155 gr. to 180 gr. weights. As the bullet weight goes up, the charge weight goes down, so the pressures aren't all that different. Personally, I've always carried 180 gr. Federal HST and I reload 180 gr. practice rounds and I've never had any issues, nor have I ever seen any signs of overpressure in any of the many rounds I've shot.

Do I think you need to be careful with the .40? Yeah, sure. But I don't believe there is any reason to avoid the 180 gr. rounds or worry about kBs because they are too "hot"...

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    180 gr. was the original weight for 40 S&W

EMP 40 chrono results (average for at least 5 shots):
    Remington 180 JHP @ 935 fps / 350# KE / PF 168
    Federal 180 JHP @ 944 fps / 356# KE / PF 170
    Winchester 180 JHP @ 952 fps / 362# KE / PF 171
    Winchester Ranger T 165 @ 1,054 fps / 407# KE / PF 174
    Hornady Zombie Max 165 @ 1,078 fps / 426# KE / PF 178

Using my chrono results, according to the power factor calcuation (PF) those 180 gr. loads actually produced a little less recoil than the 165 gr.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by SATCHMO1960 View Post
    I am using a gen3 Glock 23 and have only shot the Winchester 180gr FMJ yet have a bunch of the Federal HST 180 to shoot and plan on using for carry...The article is............CALIBERS -- Why the 180gr Bullet is a Bad Choice for .40 S&W
    I was going to ask how old the article was...I knew it would be from the 90's, and I was right. IIRC, the whole thing stemmed from a bad batch of 180gr HydraShoks; there were issues with them, and everybody wet their pants about the 180gr loads.

It was wrong then, and just as wrong now.

Seriously--check out what some of the most-used LE rounds are, and you're going to find that they are 180gr.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links