Powder for 9mm, 38 Spl & 357 Mag

This is a discussion on Powder for 9mm, 38 Spl & 357 Mag within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Starting to reload 9mm, 38 Spl & 357 Mag and looking for a powder that performs well with all 3 rounds. I don't plan on ...

Thread: Powder for 9mm, 38 Spl & 357 Mag

Starting to reload 9mm, 38 Spl & 357 Mag and looking for a powder that performs well with all 3 rounds. I don't plan on loading anything real hot. I'll be staying well within specs for all of them.
    Would like to stock 1 type of powder as well as 1 type of primer.

Bullets
    9mm: 124 grain
    38 Spl: 125 grain
    357 Mag: 158 grain

Any recommendations?
    Last edited by hayzor; February 21st, 2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: add bullet info
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I'm a bit of an old-timer. I used to handload extensively in .380, 9mm, .38sp, .357mag, .41mag, .44sp, .44mag, and .45acp when I had the time and was shooting every weekend. I found that all I needed for powder was Unique. Very flexible and forgiving enough to handle all of them. You can load light medium to max loads in the non-magnum cartridges. If I recall, the pressure levels would be lower than a lot of other powders when reaching maximum loads. Suggest you look in some reloading manuals with pressure levels listed. In the magnums, you can load medium up to stiff mid-range loadings (above .38sp or .44sp power levels) if you prefer to carry your magnums downloaded for self-defense carry. For full magnum loads I used 2400.

I also preferred Unique versus higher energy powders (like Bullseye as an extreme) because the chances of double loads getting by is decreased because of the bulk of the powder. If you do a double charge with Unique, it should be very obvious on a visual inspection of your charged cases in a reloading block. If you go to a progressive, then visual inspections would not be a factor though.

I did find that the then Hercules brand of Unique seemed to leave more residue when shooting. I understand that Alliant bought out Hercules but is still manufacturing Unique. However the powder may have a bit more energy than in the past so use up to date reloading manuals. Alliant also claims it to be a cleaner burning formulation but don't know myself since I have not handgun reloaded for ages.

Can use standard primers with Unique but if you try using 2400 for full magnum loads, you'll need a magnum primer.

I use power pistol for my 9mm and unique for my 357/38 I have other handgun calibers as well, if I had to choose it would be power pistol

I use aa7 for my 9mm and aa9 for 357

Back in the day I never used anything but Bullseye or Unique. Now I am really liking Titegroup. 4.6gn with a 180gn hard cast bullet for my 40's. Havent loaded any 9's because at 9.50 a box at Acadamy there is no cost savings. Bought a can of Clay's Universal on sale at LGS for 15.00. Will try it on some 185gn FMJ for the 40's
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Unique.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Unique here since 1990
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Unique.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog44 View Post
    Unique here since 1990
    I'll go with Unique also ; )PS I use H110 for Full House loads in 357 Mag
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Give Titegroup a try - start here, and you can filter by powder: Basic Manual Download

Pretty economical, too.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The forum's search engine is your friend. There are literally dozens of threads about powders for these three cartridges.

For general 'medium' level loads, Unique works just fine. I seem to be using WW231 in the same role these days, it works as well. I think WW231 meters just a little better than Unique in my measures.

For heavy loads, I'm preferring Unique or Pistol Powder in the 9x19 and .38 Special and something like 2400 or H110 in the .357 Magnum.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Links