9mm vs +P

This is a discussion on 9mm vs +P within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What's the difference, some 50-70 fps? Reason I ask is that my guy had a big supply of Ranger 124+P for 20 bucks a box. ...

Thread: 9mm vs +P

9mm vs +P

What's the difference, some 50-70 fps? Reason I ask is that my guy had a big supply of Ranger 124+P for 20 bucks a box. Well, we cleaned him out in short order. All gone now. About all I can get now is standard pressure Gold Dots. I would prefer +P for carry ammo, but that's probably all in my head. You guys comfortable with standard pressure 9 ammo? Appreciate knowledgeable responses. Glockman, this means you.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    What's the difference, some 50-70 fps? Reason I ask is that my guy had a big supply of Ranger 124+P for 20 bucks a box. Well, we cleaned him out in short order. All gone now. About all I can get now is standard pressure Gold Dots. I would prefer +P for carry ammo, but that's probably all in my head. You guys comfortable with standard pressure 9 ammo? Appreciate knowledgeable responses. Glockman, this means you.
    You said it.

I tend to prefer the +P loads in 9x19mm for one reason, however:

I shoot +P 9x19mm more accurately than standard pressure 9x19mm.

(Do you mind +P+? SGAmmo has 50rd - 9mm Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ T-Series RA9TA | SGAmmo.com in stock).
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    The difference is 70 fps according to Speer's data for 124 grain gold dots, standard vs. +P

LE - Gold Dot

Here are some of the best 9mm loads. From:

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De.../index.htm#9mm

Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
    Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
    Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
    Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
    Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

RKM
    As far as terminal ballastics go, typically +P rounds, weight being the same (124gr vs 124gr +P) the +P will have better expansion and more energy (energy does not significantly increase wounding with handgun rounds), but the standard pressure will have a tad bit better penetration.

I carry 124gr HST. It penetrates 12" in tests I've seen and will have slightly better expansion than a 147gr. The standard pressure 124gr is kind of a middle ground. But when it comes right down to it, none of the REALLY matters if you can't hit your target. a .32 to the heart beats a .44 mag to the finger.

+1 for SGAmmo.com

Just bought some Ranger +P Talons and some FMJ. Price for the FMJ makes it hard to justify using cheap Russian ammo for shooting paper!

Links